Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another one from Alabama

Thanks Ben and Putz,

We made some similar to the pic Putz sent.

I sent more pictures to admin. maybe they will get posted, I could not.

Now for the real questions that will get me booted or laughed off this forum;

Has anyone ever put together a check list to ensure they are haeded in the right direction or something just to keep one focused on an area at a time? Maybe some kind of guide to sotra put a schedule together by using.

I helped build a few round track race cars way back in mu younger days and have made all kinds of engine swaps and rear end changes, but never really went start to finish with a complete car.

Some questions I have concerning a schedule or guide, May not be in order, but here goes;

1) After building a rolling chassis, what is the typical next thing to start on?
2) At what point do you work on wiring, plumbing, fininshing body?
3) It would be best (IMO) that one would have a running car and have drove it some before painting?
4) What is everyone using to paint the engine, frame, front and rear with?
5) Seen something about grinding welds on here (I think) IMO welds should look good, if not, grind them off and do over. Should one smooth them with a buffing pad?
6) Color schemes; I know this is one to each his liking, but again common pratice is what? Frame engine rear same, body something else? Engine different from frame body with frame and rear/front the same, body something else, etc. etc, just asking for ideas that most feel look the best.

Thanks for you input and help/advice.
I realize everyone has their own ideas, but I'm sure everyone has something that they would have done different or figured out later they should have made a change that would have made their project better in the end.

Thanks again.

I've gotten into the habit of making a list each day first thing. I also have a sheet of paper on the clip board to sketch ideas on for further reference (suffers from CRS). These lists and sketches are dated and kept in a build folder for each car along with part #'s and sources. Fun to go back and look at later. Also a sort of maintainence manual for the next owner.

Here's my tenative schedual for a build;

1. bare frame
2. front suspension
3. rear suspension
4. body and engine placement
5. engine/trams mounts
6. wood work in the body and frame mounts
7. steering, gas tank, radiator and brakes
8. run lines
9. wire
10. test drive
11. disassemble, paint and detail
12. upholstery
13. sell

Color schemes .. I build around 3 colors, 1. body frame and rear end, 2. engine and graphics and 3. interior. The graphics color compliments both the body and interior colors. I like to see some of it used on the interior as a way of bringing the whole car together.

The biggest mistake I see is when the theme gets lost during the build. Pick a theme and stick to it. If you see something you like that dosen't fit, save it for the next car.

This is all JMO. Feel free to disagree.

Ron

Looks good Wade. :)

Here is my opinion, you my take it for what its worth.Everybody elses may be different.

1) After building a rolling chassis, what is the typical next thing to start on?
Mount, body, engine.
2) At what point do you work on wiring, plumbing, finishing body?
All before paint.
3) It would be best (IMO) that one would have a running car and have drove it some before painting?
Yes, its much easier to make changes if you not worried about scratching the paint.Ted suggests, about a thousand miles to work out the bugs, then tear down for finish. I have to take off powdercoat to make a few changes, had it had some miles first it wouldn't have been a problem.
Its all up to the individual. My frame and suspension is powdercoated and the engine is rattle canned.
5) Seen something about grinding welds on here (I think) IMO welds should look good, if not, grind them off and do over. Should one smooth them with a buffing pad?
Personal preference, I prefer to see a good weld over a smooth frame, a lot don't.
6) Color schemes; I know this is one to each his liking, but again common practice is what? Frame engine rear same, body something else? Engine different from frame body with frame and rear/front the same, body something else, etc. etc, just asking for ideas that most feel look the best.
That is all about what the owner/builder wants. I the rolling chassis to all be 1 color, the engine my or my not match. For Becky, at this point I'm leaning a lot towards the Black and Chrome Harley look.

Looks good Wade. :)

Here is my opinion, you my take it for what its worth.Everybody elses may be different.

Mount, body, engine.
2) At what point do you work on wiring, plumbing, finishing body?
All before paint.
Yes, its much easier to make changes if you not worried about scratching the paint.Ted suggests, about a thousand miles to work out the bugs, then tear down for finish. I have to take off powdercoat to make a few changes, had it had some miles first it wouldn't have been a problem.
Its all up to the individual. My frame and suspension is powdercoated and the engine is rattle canned.
Personal preference, I prefer to see a good weld over a smooth frame, a lot don't.
6) Color schemes; I know this is one to each his liking, but again common practice is what? Frame engine rear same, body something else? Engine different from frame body with frame and rear/front the same, body something else, etc. etc, just asking for ideas that most feel look the best.
That is all about what the owner/builder wants. I the rolling chassis to all be 1 color, the engine my or my not match. For Becky, at this point I'm leaning a lot towards the Black and Chrome Harley look.

Just a word of caution. grinding welds can be a problem. If there's not enough prep or penatration you can grind all the strength out of it. Ive seen cracked weld on critical components because the polisher (for chrome) has taken so much away to get a good surface theres nothing left to hold the parts together
I do smooth my welds but I V the hell out of the joints first and build enough weld to allow for smoothing
Gerry

Nice pics I noticed your coilovers are mounted with adjustment on top most buckets have them on bottom for ease of adjustment.Awesome progress.One other thing is screwed up distributor should be in the back LOL

One other thing is screwed up distributor should be in the back What the h...?

I really appericate the comments, looking forward to finishing. I'm sure several more question will arise.

Thanks.

Wade

One other thing is screwed up distributor should be in the back What the h...?

I really appericate the comments, looking forward to finishing. I'm sure several more question will arise.

Thanks.

Wade

Just a joke between guys that have chevy drivetrains and ford guys.

Nice pics I noticed your coilovers are mounted with adjustment on top most buckets have them on bottom for ease of adjustment.Awesome progress.One other thing is screwed up distributor should be in the back LOL

I thought the engine was in backwards, but didn't want to say anything. :jester:

Just a joke between guys that have chevy drivetrains and ford guys.

I'm slow and duh, it finally hit me. This T is my friends, mine will have the "distributor" in the rear, as it should be.

To bad I have not run up on a 440 or it would be in the front also.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back