Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anti-lock brake sensor for speedometer sender?

Hotrod46

Somewhere I read about using the anti-lock brake sensor in the rearend to trigger an electronic speedometer.

Has anyone done this?

This is for an OT project I'm working on right now, but thought the info might be of use on T buckets also.

Eventually the car will have a T56 6 speed that has a pulse generator built in, but the current trans (T5) does not. I'm in the process of installing a narrowed 8.8 Ford Explorer rearend that has an anti-lock sendor built in and in the interest of saving money, I thought about using it. The external speed sensor that will fit the T5 is fairly expensive and I will only need it for a few months.

My VDO speedo is supposed to be able to use an inductive pickup (which the AL sensor is).

I guess the real question is not if it will work, but how well does it work? The wiring is pretty straightforward.

If no one has any hands on info and I do it, I will post the results for the rest of the board. Might save someone some coinage.

Mike

The electronic speedometer uses 16 thousand to 20 thousand pulses per mile. Some speedometers can be calibrated to the pulse's sent from different pulse generators. Check with your speedometer mfg. Please post what you find. Dakota digital has an adaptor that take what is generated and convert to what is needed.
Good luck

On my first bucket I did that with the auto meter speedometer push the calibrate button drive ""Exactly"" one mile stop and push calibrate button again,,I could not ever get it spot on was always 5 to 8 mph off,,checked with gps and a pace car ..But it did work

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know when or if I'll get this done. I have located a T56 and might actually have it installed pretty quick, which would make this a non-issue.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know when or if I'll get this done. I have located a T56 and might actually have it installed pretty quick, which would make this a non-issue.

Mike
I have a pulse generator that hook's into the regular speedometer drive. let me know .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back