Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone Used These Mufflers?

TriodeLuvr

I really dislike the sound of the glasspacks in the short collectors on my bucket. They're not just loud, they're raspy and don't produce much low-end rumble. Has anyone tried the "auger" style mufflers from Speedway? I realize they're not going to be quiet, but I'm wondering if the tone is better.

Jack

p699072750.jpg

I really dislike the sound of the glasspacks in the short collectors on my bucket. They're not just loud, they're raspy and don't produce much low-end rumble. Has anyone tried the "auger" style mufflers from Speedway? I realize they're not going to be quiet, but I'm wondering if the tone is better.

Jack

p699072750.jpg
A friend of mine used them on his truck in a 3 1/2 inch OD extension out the tail end of his truck. They sound awesome to me, and aren't terribly loud under normal driving. When he stands on it they get a little loud, but that's kewel by me! No experience other than that but I love the deep sound they make. He has 3 inch to the back then 3 1/2 at the end where the augers start.

I have the 3" versions welded in my lakes style exhaust on my '27. I think they sound awesome and don't have much drone

I have used those as well as glass mufflers and there is little difference in noise level. Baffles are cheaper, flow slightly better, and don't wear out. Don't expect them to change the sound a whole lot.

Well, if they sound about the same, I won't bother. You know, I just ran across an older thread here on this topic, and one of the comments was that the 26" collectors are much quieter. If that's true, I might be interested in switching them out. Even if the tone isn't much different, at least the sound I dislike might be less obnoxious. I took a measurement, and the tip of the longer collectors would clear the rear tire by about 4". Coincidentally, the goody box that came with this car includes a brand new set of Speedway mufflers for a 26" collector. All I would need is the collector itself to get this done. So, I guess I should ask if 4" clearance to the tire will present any known problems, and also if the loudness reduction is enough to spend the money on new collectors. Is there really a big difference?

Jack

p665442733-3.jpg

Now I'm confused.... :confused:
The ones on my friends truck have a deep mellow sound at idle. He's running a 402 bbc with just a little lope at idle. When you get on it good they do still have that raspy sound a glass pack has, but they are pretty loud. May sound totally different on a roadster style header. If you are looking to be quieter going down the road I don't think they will do it for you.

OK, thanks for the additional detail. Truck headers with a 402 might make a big difference (also the longer pipes). The thing is, I wouldn't mind if these were louder when cruising. It's the raspy harshness when accelerating that gets me, and that's also of course when they get really loud. It's too bad no one makes a good baffled muffler to fit at least the 26" collector. I think glasspacks are the worst in terms of tone and noise VS performance.

Jack

Well, I've built a set of lake pipes for this Big Blue Oval....and I noticed when I was installing the augers, that the tone change, with the location....using the folks in the shop for a thumbs up or down.
I play with the fiberglass wrapping some, and found it works pretty good. Right now I'm making a set of inserts that'll hold the inserts for a SuperTrapp muffler. All those Zoomies on the FC's/Altereds have pretty well left me deaf. I can hear the ringing in my ears just fine....its all the other sounds that give me problems....hahaha.
If the Supertrapp mufflers don't work, I'm going to cut off the end of a set of track packs, and build a set of tapered housings to slide up in the lake pipes. Mine are angled down to the ground @ a 5 degree angle at the rear. Also, I have a 3" 45 Degree elbow at the exit, that way someone can walk up and not be washed with hot exhaust gasses....

Darn, I went through this exact same thing on my Triumph America a few years ago. The factory pipes made it sound like a sewing machine, so I bought a pair of high performance Triumph "off-road" mufflers. They were louder alright, but the tone really sucked. In fact, they sounded a lot like the pipes on this bucket. The Harley guys at work were kind enough not to give me too much grief about it, but they all let me know how bad it was later. I probably could have spent a few thousand dollars testing the various aftermarket mufflers, but the "fix" turned out to be much easier. I bought a pair of like-new used stock mufflers for $100, then bored out all the internal baffling. That left only a straight-through glasspack about a foot long near the end of each muffler assy. I added a generic motorcycle baffle like the one below, and the result was perfect - loud enough so other drivers can hear it, and a deeper tone somewhat like a modified Sportster. Back to the bucket, maybe the short glasspack from a 20" collector and the auger baffle will both fit inside a 26" collector. Assuming that's not too heavy for the headers to support, the sonic result might be better than either type of muffler alone.

Jack

p557988885.jpg

I went from long pipes with baffles to short pipes (reusing the baffles), then to glass mufflers. There was no discernible difference in noise level or tone. That has more to do with your heads and cam. The long pipes were definitely not any quieter than the short ones. The short turnouts must use the short glass muffler, but if you use the baffles, they will extend into the collectors and provide the same noise suppression as if you had the long turnouts. Even the short glass mufflers were not loud.

Back to the bucket, maybe the short glasspack from a 20" collector and the auger baffle will both fit inside a 26" collector. Assuming that's not too heavy for the headers to support, the sonic result might be better than either type of muffler alone.

Jack

Thats an interesting thought!
I'm kinda in the same boat but my noisy turnouts are a bit rusty too, so I'm considering just buying new ones with the mufflers. Thought about capping the headers and running an exhaust under the car with regular mufflers, but I like the turnouts as they visually lower the car.
Gotta keep watching this thread and see where you take it!

I have them in my car and are very happy with them, I didn't know what to expect when I installed them but the occupants of the car can converse without being to loud.

It looks like the longer Speedway muffler for the 26" turnout will fit the short 20" turnout if it's pushed into the collector slightly. Unfortunately, when I pulled one of the 20" turnouts off the header a little while ago, I couldn't get the short muffler out. I tried everything I could think of other than destroying the muffler or turnout. Grrrr...

Incidentally, the short muffler in the turnout is made a little differently than the longer ones I have from Speedway. In addition to a straight-through passage down the center, the input side has a cone-shaped piece of perforated metal tack-welded across it. The perforations aren't very large, and I think the back pressure must be awful. I don't know if this was added by a previous owner or if Speedway or someone else used to sell them like this. Whatever the case, it's gotta go.

Oh yeah, the short muffler is 7", so the total with the auger would be 18". The pair will definitely fit inside a 26" turnout.

Jack

I don't think the long mufflers will fit in the short pipes. They are a very tight fit in the turnouts and would not go in the collectors. The baffles are a looser fit and will definitely go in.

I don't think the long mufflers will fit in the short pipes. They are a very tight fit in the turnouts and would not go in the collectors. The baffles are a looser fit and will definitely go in.

Did you actually try to push them into the collectors? Isn't the ID of the collectors the same as the ID of the turnouts (except for the ~4" section that fits over the collectors)? I was thinking there wouldn't be a problem, as long as I was careful not to damage the thin aluminum outer wrapping when it slides past the edge into the collectors. Of course, if I can't get the mufflers out of the turnouts, none of this matters. Any ideas on that?

Jack

I've no idea if your extensions are exactly like mine but to get the insert out , I put a chunk of 2x12 on the floor & whopped the ext. [inlet end down] on the block a few times , being careful to hit square , dropped right out .
dave:thumbsup:

It looks like the longer Speedway muffler for the 26" turnout will fit the short 20" turnout if it's pushed into the collector slightly. Unfortunately, when I pulled one of the 20" turnouts off the header a little while ago, I couldn't get the short muffler out. I tried everything I could think of other than destroying the muffler or turnout. Grrrr...

Incidentally, the short muffler in the turnout is made a little differently than the longer ones I have from Speedway. In addition to a straight-through passage down the center, the input side has a cone-shaped piece of perforated metal tack-welded across it. The perforations aren't very large, and I think the back pressure must be awful. I don't know if this was added by a previous owner or if Speedway or someone else used to sell them like this. Whatever the case, it's gotta go.

Oh yeah, the short muffler is 7", so the total with the auger would be 18". The pair will definitely fit inside a 26" turnout.

Jack
My turn outs looked the same so I took a big, 1" punch and drove it through the center of the cone shaped baffle. Changed the sound to a nice rumble at just about all levels with no harshness. Only thing that has happened is when I put a top on my T it got a little more echo inside, but I think this would have happened no matter what the muffler system is.

I've no idea if your extensions are exactly like mine but to get the insert out , I put a chunk of 2x12 on the floor & whopped the ext. [inlet end down] on the block a few times , being careful to hit square , dropped right out .
dave:thumbsup:

Yeah, I did that too. Then I used a pair of channellocks and tried to pull it out. Finally I set it on a 2x8 and whacked it all around with a 4 lb. sledge hammer and 1/2" extension. Maybe I should just ship these out to your place! :D

Jack

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back