Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone Used These Mufflers?

My turn outs looked the same so I took a big, 1" punch and drove it through the center of the cone shaped baffle. Changed the sound to a nice rumble at just about all levels with no harshness.

I thought about doing that when it was off the car, but I was afraid it would get too loud. Maybe I'll try it. If I can't get the mufflers out, these are throwaways anyway.

Jack

I really dislike the sound of the glasspacks in the short collectors on my bucket. They're not just loud, they're raspy and don't produce much low-end rumble. Has anyone tried the "auger" style mufflers from Speedway? I realize they're not going to be quiet, but I'm wondering if the tone is better.

Jack

p699072750.jpg
OK, I'm checking back in on the case of a nice tone. The SuperTrapp, got a good sound, but the motor would not even rev decent....it was constipated, big time.
I tool the Auger style baffle, cut just ahead of the last auger, so it only has 2 augers on it. Wrapper some fiberglass matting around it, tie'ing it down with SS wire. slid it on up into the tube.
I then cut the end off a set of Thrush Track Mufflers, 4 1/2" long. 1st, I measured so there was 1 inch of the exit tube sticking out. I cut that off. I measure back 4 1/2" from that point, threw it in the chop saw, chopped it off.
So, the end of that muffler looks like a piece of perforated tubing with some fiberglass matting around it, the rounded end of the muffler (its a big glass-pack), then a little short piece of exit pipe.
The Drag Assoc. says these track mufflers were necessary, you can find a ton of these old things all over....ranging from 3 to 4 inch dia.'s.
I shoved the auger in so the tube where I cut off the last auger was sticking back toward the end of the lake header, I tacked a small bracket onto the end of the track muffler I cut off. I pushed the very end of the track muffler into the lake pipe, the 1" exit flush with the end of the lake pipe. I then put a screw hole into the pipe to hold the end of the muffler stationary.
I started it up, It had a pretty mellow low tone....one of the guys said it sounded like one on the early turbo mufflers. It was kinda loud and kinda low at the same time. But when you rev it, that tinty sound is replaced with a nice snarl. The guys like the sound, the tintyness is almost gone, and it revs good.
When I put the end of the glasspackup to the lakepipe, getting ready to slid it in, I pulled the tube of the auger, slid it into the perforated tube of the end of the glasspack, then I fastened it in. The auger did rattle around some since it was sitting in there loosely. Tried it a bunch of times, got a thumbs up.

Now, I'm making a taper to slide up into the lakepipe, will weld everything to it, then install the unit. I'm also tacking (2) 1/4-20 nuts into the inside of this thing with drilled holes so I can mount in securely. Then I can mount my turndown to the lakepipe flange and be done.

Hope this helps someone. While you should be able to reproduce this pretty closely, remember, I'm running a BigBlock, the sound of a smallblock might need more wrapping around the auger....

Last edited:
Let me say I used the big old track glasspacks that bolted to the collectors....with the body dia. at 3" and the outlet tube dia. of 2 1/2" so it could be hooked up to 2 1/2 extensions....They do make these in a variety of sizes....

The difference between augers and glasspacks is that augers are somewhat less restrictive due to having 2 exhaust paths while a glasspack has 1. everything in a glasspack goes through a small tube muffled by the glass packed in the chamber around it. Auger exhaust goes through the same small tube but also through the screw baffles where the higher pressure acts as a muffler. If you wrap it with glass, you have ruined its advantage. It's now just as restrictive as a glasspack, but louder. The glass is also subject to exhaust pressure which will pack it down against the last baffle, where the exhaust stream will blow it out bit by bit.

I can assure you from having actually done it that the augers will fit just fine in short turnouts and will not go anywhere due to the curve. There is no need to stack, fab, or weld anything. Your engine will probably rev quicker and feel more powerful without being louder.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back