Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Asking on A Jag rearend again .. part 2

Anymore thoughts or questions about a Jag rear?

Ron

Ron, I took all the Important info on the other thread and put it in your new thread. As Gerry put it to much good info to lose.
hk.gif

Thanks Bruce ... lots of good infor there. Would be a shame to loose it.

Ron

How about this? It's based on a Ford 8.8 IRS.

GT63,

These are pretty well thought out suspension systems. As it is a true upper/lower A-Arm design it has much better roll geometry as compaired to a Jag or C4 and earlier Corvette. The only real draw back to an upper A-Arm design is clearance. Most hot rods have floor or frame issues. In a T-bucket you could design for that problem. You just have to have enough vertical clearence so the upper arm doesn't hit anything. These rear ends came under a number of Ford vehicles and are usually pretty cost reasonable.

George

One other thing that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread and generally gets overlooked is the plate for the bottom of the center section. This ties the cast brackets that the lower control arms attach to so as to reduce the possible breakage due to the leverage of the arms. The cast brackets have two attaching bolts for mounting to the center section that are closer together.

irsmount006.jpg

Here is another version of a parking brake on a Jag. It uses the stock parts and with the addition of the simple bracket at the center, it makes a pretty easy job.

ParkingBrake.jpg

Further to George's post... the eight bolts shown in the pic go into threaded holes in the brackets that are already there. The plate replaces the bottom portion of the stock cage that holds the rear-end in an OEM set-up, and those holes are where the cage bolted to the bottom of the diff. Very important piece of reinforcement, in my humble opinion.

irsmount006.jpg

Further to George's post... the eight bolts shown in the pic go into threaded holes in the brackets that are already there. The plate replaces the bottom portion of the stock cage that holds the rear-end in an OEM set-up, and those holes are where the cage bolted to the bottom of the diff. Very important piece of reinforcement, in my humble opinion.

irsmount006.jpg

If you can wait a few day I have to strip my IRS for paint. I can take pics of the diff carrier (the fab'd bit under the diff that carries the bottom arms or radius rods as you might call them) which may give you some ideas. If you need to do your thing now then maybe the pics will help for the future.
One thing is for SURE. The bolts that go into the diff casting from the bottom pivots are KNOWN for loosening off. Even if you loctite them... Its where all the stress is concentrated.
Gerry

That's why mine are safety-wired. So are the top cone bolts.

Hi lee
Not a bad thing to safety wire these. I would recommend it to anyone who is going this way. Jags dont use safety wire. And yes they do come loose.
For me safety wire is not an option so I have countersunk both the cone bolts and the carrier bolts ( which I have also tapped out to 12mm.) With the CS bolts giving a larger 'seat' and much better location I figure that I dont need safety wire. I may be wrong but only time and miles will proove it. Or NOT.
UK buckets using stright bolts dont seem to have a problem!!!!.

Cant STRESS the importance of safety. Lee has the correct answer to the loose bolt thing. I am going out on a limb, cause thats a FAD thing. I will always admit when Im wrong so stay tuned
Gerry

Jags dont use safety wire. Gerry
Actually Gerry, I believe the stock Jags are safety-wired. At least mine was. I bought my '77 XJ6 rear-end still in the stock cage, and both the top bolts and the bracket bolts were safety-wired. That's where I got the idea. I ordered stock replacement cone bolts from an on-line Jag parts house and they were already drilled for safety-wire.

Actually Gerry, I believe the stock Jags are safety-wired. At least mine was. I bought my '77 XJ6 rear-end still in the stock cage, and both the top bolts and the bracket bolts were safety-wired. That's where I got the idea. I ordered stock replacement cone bolts from an on-line Jag parts house and they were already drilled for safety-wire.

Lee
I stand corrected. I know the outer bearing flanges on the diff were always drilled for safety wire, as mine are now. But I cant ever remember the cone and carrier bolts being that way. But I use the OLD S type (60s) rear ends so maybe thats the difference. Either way i still say go with the safety wire or come up with a grub screw alternative to neaten thing up
G

Lee
I stand corrected. I know the outer bearing flanges on the diff were always drilled for safety wire, as mine are now. But I cant ever remember the cone and carrier bolts being that way. But I use the OLD S type (60s) rear ends so maybe thats the difference. Either way i still say go with the safety wire or come up with a grub screw alternative to neaten thing up
G

Just taken a couple of pics that may hep. I figure that CS bolts have such a good seating that safety wire is not needed but I could be wrong?
diff pad bolts.JPG
diff pad bolts 2.JPG
gerry

Gerry, your brackets look to be custom fabbed. Mine don't look anything like that. They appear to be forgings with one large boss at each end where the swivel shaft passes through. You can kind of see them in this page from a how-to article I found back when I was working on mine. You can also see the safety wire in place.

Attachments

• Jag IRS 05.jpg
    Jag IRS 05.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Right or wrong here's my rendition of the bottom support. The stock cage was 14ga. I believe so I made this one from 3/16" sheet stock. Are you saying these are the bolts that work themselves loose? When I removed them they certainly weren't loose!

Ron

Attachments

• Jag bottom support (Small).jpg
    Jag bottom support (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 25
We are talking about the two bolts that hold the brackets for the inboard end of the lower control arm, where the swivel shaft goes through. You can see them in picture #14 in the photo in my previous post.

Gerry, your brackets look to be custom fabbed. Mine don't look anything like that. They appear to be forgings with one large boss at each end where the swivel shaft passes through. You can kind of see them in this page from a how-to article I found back when I was working on mine. You can also see the safety wire in place.

lee
Yep they are custom made, as are the bottom arms (radius rods) and hub carriers. The diff carrier is made to be a tight fit (read you need a small hammer to get it on) on to the machined surfaces of the diff. Thats one way to stop any movement and prevent the bolts getting loose.
Yours are the original forgings. They are a little lacking in location for my tastes but have prooved to be more than adequate for many T and lots of BHP. Although I have known them to break at the thin point between the ends. The only location is the two bolts in to the diff casting. If you then add any shims behind them (for toe in/out adjustment) thats a lot to rely on with BIG BHP. The other thing is that I am NOT running tie rods from the chassis to the hub carriers so all thats holding my IRS in is the 4 bolts on the top of the diff casting and the carrier and tie straps to the chassis. Sounds likes madness but it works.

It all sounds like a lot of work but its not that bad. Just a bit of engineering that you are more than capable of doing.
gerry

One other thing that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread and generally gets overlooked is the plate for the bottom of the center section. This ties the cast brackets that the lower control arms attach to so as to reduce the possible breakage due to the leverage of the arms. The cast brackets have two attaching bolts for mounting to the center section that are closer together.

irsmount006.jpg

Just a warning. I forgot to put a hole in this plate for the drain plug until after it was on the car. Drill the hole now it saves a lot of hassel later
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back