Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Assembling an engine in the cold?

Keeper

What issue would come out of assembling an engine that is cold? Like its snowing outside cold.

Basically just the rotating assembly, crank is already in. Pistons and heads need to be installed. I would just rather have it all together so I can clean off the work bench.

I might be wrong but it seems the torque settings would be wrong.

This comes up on hotrodders.com from time to time, and the opinions are generally all over the place, from "don't do it" to "it makes no difference." The opinions of the more experienced engine builders tend to be, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but you'll want to check your torques after you run the engine a little. There were some that thought it might be a problem if your were putting aluminum heads on an iron block.

You could head over to Hotrodders Bulletin Board and ask yourself.

If it was me, Id try to get it to 50 degrees in there, bring my assembly lube (Lubriplate 109) inside and get it warm too. Id also put it together and wouldnt fill it with oil. Id double-check my torque specs in the spring, throw the oilpan on it, flip it over and dunk her in my bucket. Ive built plenty of snowmobile engines in the winter. but with the Salamander (kerosene powered jet engine heater) I can keep my work area 50*. even if you have to drape some plastic sheeting down from a stud to cut your garage in half...it'll help it warm up faster. If youre going to use one of these heaters, MAKE SURE you turn it off once in awhile especially if you get a headache and/or drowsy. people die from these things. I run mine till I smell kero fumes kinda strong, shut it down till Im cold and start over again. BE SMART with heaters

How large of a workspace do you have? I have a 24' x 24' uninsulated two car garage that I have heated with a heater similar to the one in this link. Mr. Heater Portable Propane Forced Air Heater — 75,000 - 125,000 BTU, Model# MH125FAV | Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment Mine maxed at 85,000 btu's and used a 20 pound tank instead of the 40 pounder this one uses but it would bring the temp in the garage up into the 60+ degree range on a day when the outside temp was around freezing, give or take a few degrees. It's a good heater and it puts out a lot of heat. I would start it up and let it run for a half hour or so to take some of the chill off before going to work. After a couple of hours of working I would be stripped down to just a sweatshirt and sometimes just a long sleeved cotton shirt. I would start it at 85k and turn it down to 55k after awhile. If I remember correctly a tank of propane would last abour 10 hours running the heater mostly on the lower setting. One caution is making sure there is good ventilation. I noticed early on that after a couple of hours I would start getting a little dizzy from a lack of oxygen. I learned to open one of the garage doors 6 inches or so.

I have a heater. The garage will be warmed up. But the engine will still be cold unless I bring it inside (not an option!) since its still in a freezing cold garage right now.

I think I will just build it then check it in the spring. There will be no valve covers or oil pan or intake on it just yet as I have not decided on what I want!

I can't see any appreciable difference, we aren't talking about 50 below here. I think you will be ok as long as you lube it well and follow acceptable assembly procedures. After all, not all us hot rodders can live in sunny Florida! :rofl::lol::lol::lol: (sorry, I had to rub that in, it's the law here in Florida)

Don

Are you having to check all the clearences or just assemble it.

If you are going to check cleareces it all needs to be at room temps. 72 deg. Aluminum expands about twice as fast as steel and cast so all the piston clearences will be off.

If you just have to assemble and all the clearenceing has been done and the engine balanced, then go ahead and put it together. Still may have problems getting pins into pistons because of the temp.

Nope all clearances were checked when it was warm outside, they were done at the machine shop (and rechecked by me at home) so its pretty much a bolt together job.

I was worried about any sealant setting up, but there isn't any being used except on the head bolts, so I should be okay there.

Its an iron block, iron heads and forged alum pistons. Rings are already installed so I am not worried about them being brittle.

The garage will be brought up to about 50 degrees or so, just so I do not freeze out there!

Yep, when I lived up North I remember doing lots of engine work either in an unheated garage or worse, laying under a car with cold wet snow melting and dripping down on you. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I get the chills just thinking about it. :eek::eek::eek:

Don

I had a guy that I worked with, that decided to rebuild his motorcycle in the living room. His now X-wife did not understand at all.

Duke said:
I had a guy that I worked with, that decided to rebuild his motorcycle in the living room. His now X-wife did not understand at all.
I built a Knucked Head and a Flat head(Harley's) in the living room and my 302 in the spare bedroom and the Whole 'Bucket in the rear family room and the wife asked me every half hour if i needed another beer.Ya gotta keep them like that.

My garage is about 25 foot from the house not an option when it's 19 degrees out for me sitting on the couch nice and warm with a brew in the hand is the way to go with the harley motors cause i can pick them up and move them.The 302 was in an unused room so what the heck.I didnt need any plastic down cause the parts are brand new and NO oil to deal with.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back