Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Auto-cancel Turn Signal Design

Yes, I've seen this switch. It's a clever way to display turn and brake signals in a shared taillight (one that has a single bulb with a single filament). Most cars now have separate turn and brake indicators, which is what my unit will handle.

Here's an idea I had:

It would have a central module like yours, but rather than a timer, it'd have a small magnet on the steering shaft and three hall-effect sensors. Say for example the left turn signal is activated, and the wheel is turned in a counterclockwise direction to execute the turn. The hall-effect sensors will see the shaft turning counterclockwise and the module will continue to flash the lights, but as soon as it senses the shaft turning clockwise, it stops flashing. Like a conventional self-canceling system, but without having to re-engineer a bulky mechanical system.

Hi Sam, good idea. I have a similar plan. A piece of black tape on my chrome steering shaft and an IR emitter/sensor. It wouldn't work for lane changes, but I could live with, say, a 5-second timeout on those.

No, mine is the $275 dash version, or wherever, (see picture), not the version with aluminum housing that attaches to steering column. Yes, was a bit pricey but a nice unit. Have had it about 3 years.

Looking forward to viewing your progress.

Module used an Blinkie system appears to be same as Speedway 910-64070. Module, from Blinkie, is re-labeled but modules likely come from same source which, I believe is in Tucson. Blinkie system has little lever, as shown in my earlier post attached picture, and full wiring harness with hazard push button. I'm told the switch is actually to most expensive Blinkie component to produce.

Seems like Speedway unit could be wired with C&K switch (posted above by T-Test) or 2 momentary toggle or push button switches to provide same functionality.

Looking forward to seeing Potvin Guy configuration.

Last edited:
I think there are cheap adapters to go from the 2 filimate bulbs to the separate turn signal bulb. May make unit for 2 filimate bulbs would be more popular.

I think there are cheap adapters to go from the 2 filimate bulbs to the separate turn signal bulb. May make unit for 2 filimate bulbs would be more popular.
Arggghh !!FILAMENT .....please , please ,please , turn on your auto correct or look up the spelling of the word you want to use ....drives me NUTS !!! Rant over LOL

Dezolde: the Speedway unit is kinda messy, it uses different button pushes to give different timeouts. And it won't do the brakes-on waiting at a stop to turn.
ORF: my unit will drive a 2 filament bulb or separate brake and turn bulbs or LEDs.

Don't have any actual experience with Speedway module but Blinkie and Speedway instructions wording pretty much same regarding length of time light flashes depending on how long activated. Speedway instructions indicate use of left and right button whereas Blinkie refers to lever.

Both instructions have brake light wording:

Blinkie reads "Stoplight feature: When the brake is depressed, the Blinkie flashes the signal as long as the brake is depressed PLUS 10 seconds after the brake pedal is lifted. This is handy when waiting at a stop light in the turn lane."

Speedway reads "Brake Lights - Applying the brakes will cause the rear turn signals to light as long as the brakes are held. If the turn signal is sent to the light at the same time, it will have priority over the brake lights and cause the corresponding light to flash. When the turn signal is canceled, the brake light will resume"

Good info. The Blinkie sounds very much like what I'm doing. The Speedway unit is designed for bikes which often use the same 1-filament bulb for both brake and turn.

Update: here’s the block diagram of the unit:
llctibRvwSZnFCMJoGc4AgWLEEXUY70Xna9y65IJj-AhbMSc4xsJEGaTtosgcbefI4R4bqimmiXEJxz6faMx1DrB6tRl1gGB5CT8kSqHj3_bLY_eJXgeR4AP3UIny-3EoaQ0MzPIHHOlnlwrm57Kgv9JKCwUUaGv0wloIiYkIYLsq_uUfsmbWXTuFuBOaOFT8PsgYnyEgVVyichIW8Ujg8pVnFjjCwTJ12IXOLZpEGH3sEykmPS7ExC0DNk2wrrC8mjO3A1IgGxNi49wppHpGkNX0_eBRZRNc6zEgcrJWnd6qVegALM7rci-jRtgqyloNNwSBOyGkvHG-3Uv3RRPhksNKPizGKFtgNkEKW-dgkso-sMCl0Fi6FDSE42BMgKD55q97KEkXluO__j4VXmOFHI8mUdwEcWLVgYEYS73sGw3lduPMk8RWqeyAgn1fi69KnBoGt8YvGjf-1QnGSBgu4f_3VrshZwo29NKcfDvFZqbHXLf2VihTZkyJifD_bYKgRCsyO_l2tf6LymOghcdKJ7uOUyJOjewbNvFk49guu4AY1knRucMf_rrXnxVVb2dNwOC3UM9fIIHeug6fNhTWwxx0z2LNjYSUdwNTbfq0QaD2VdOO1zYj9doLtMbVb1dXNShXLEkIzKwg1_gCnpSV2Mv1YPRytThgte-HolUDrBfwwxytrAIrTZot04zpwHSohsLZMPuUrXbzA6x3Q=w1167-h471-no

And here’s how it works: when the turn button is pressed, the latch is set and the timer is started. The output of the latch enables the flasher to operate a relay to flash the turn lights. The period of flashing is user adjustable from 2 to 15 seconds. But if the brakes are applied and held during flashing, the timer restarts and signaling continues until the brakes are released and a full timing period follows. Once the timer has timed out, the latch is reset and the lights go out.

I’ve shown one side and the other side is identical. They share the timer and flasher.

There is also a hazard function and an indicator/annunciator output not shown.

The incorporated electronic flasher eliminates the need for a “can” flasher or any special provisions for LEDs. And the 15-amp relay will handle any mix of turn bulbs and LEDs and won’t be affected by electrical noise external to the unit.

I’m setting this up on a breadboard for testing. Questions? Ideas?

I cut off a Corvair (junk Yard) column mast jacket with the turn signals and it blended right in.

How about having two timers, one for a lane change and another for a turn. Each would be
adjustable. To access the lane change function, use one of the options below.
- A double tap of the turn button would be required.
- Maybe hold the button for 1/2 second.
- Or only flash while holding the button down.

Not sure it's worth the added complexity, but just shooting ideas out there.

WOW, all this turn signal electrical stuff is blowing my simple mind....I'm glad I have a built in GM unit on my column and a left arm to do arm signals if needed. :roflmao:

Watson' wire works has a diode? that lets you use on bulb as both.
The V-TSID lets you use one dash indicator for both L and R turns, like this:
ssDAgs-O_6q9h9Q4VuNgchk-_Z-Wvk9EfCETILAeD6hN6TSQ5NjTSSbw4zGLi_WqGBGMaMKO-oq4ezJ9UHEvFmgPxOwe1xASx2s9dVWEVGUryaHSU23rRMmAKXmQ8hXC90O66bvSyFC_zHFXopS0T30AZXY3ECrQpAadrDEFMZE__W5lFlisS-aAAJPfFLr1g9P_UckfMwVvjh-SG-r-hHqABv1CkqavYDvCxZAZHXB1bY2hfkXGTRhZTHvBntUqoeN2-R17_i8BOFtxjzlXCNwv7TPm47tmqz5Fp0TSHAvkFQ_zYckie0MFNPfhyJepN10mpMxaYcPbNKzubAdTqlP64AneYUC9yCdrt92Y4mPrFxowP0Rp1D1oeMpXCe0LRm9gbUpYijMXr6_f22yG9qnmkwMDQY-Nq83K1lApDPfD0L4dH9NQeupuhwcAM-nS06fWFlJgIbSsSJKjHs78afl5p5Qw335PsEyK1B-6B_t6n1uRAzUfQHN5ZOzxXSbfCJGMY36LLmFMq1ReEc54BPXgEXxF4vH6ShBYHVu6WdQeoMtiaUVMu9QzTFsdX0yMTisnMsk0qfRzfvhKjmojlEYgErEgrI6n0RVwLz2biVlg5QADnmRAGR_zEsMp_6ythxB7oPZL2wyviaJlvYynW-XXb1g3CVBJ33QYBCoNNbONgeCDaou6YL-4Oinla0f35NAWaKHw1zBJvdu00g=w529-h384-no

It's just 2 diodes in shrink wrap, worth about $1. SEMA guys really gouge us on electric parts, knowing that most rodders aren't savvy. I buy all my parts from other places.

My unit will have an output to do this too.

WOW, all this turn signal electrical stuff is blowing my simple mind....I'm glad I have a built in GM unit on my column and a left arm to do arm signals if needed. :roflmao:
I understand it, gate logic, but using a gm column simplified much... as intended. Everything except the headlight switch, line lock, and dimmer switches are on my tilt, telescope column... line lock and dimmer are momentary switches on the gearshift knob. Only one switch on the dash... clean and simple looking. Funny, on my bike, I often used hand signals when changing lanes, etc... I’ve had people shake their fists back at me... I guess they don’t understand hand signals or the translation.

Us old farts are the ones that learned the hand signals for changing lanes and stopping. The young kids learned the other hand signals!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back