Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery under the seat

all-world1

Since I'm not installing a pickup bed, my battery will likely need to be installed under the seat. In the '64 Car Craft series, they use seat supports that are 7" high and Chester's seat supports only appear to be 3 1/2" high. I could make my seat supports higher to clear a standard battery height but I don't want to be sitting in the trees. Any ideas?

Since I'm not installing a pickup bed, my battery will likely need to be installed under the seat. In the '64 Car Craft series, they use seat supports that are 7" high and Chester's seat supports only appear to be 3 1/2" high. I could make my seat supports higher to clear a standard battery height but I don't want to be sitting in the trees. Any ideas?

Get a Odessey (misspelled I'm sure) PG 680 and lay it down under the seat. They are only 3 1/2 inches high. I have one in each of my Buckets and one is almost 4 years and the other one is 2 years with no problems at all.....I bought them on eBay for 119.00 delivered. You can use them in any location or any angle.....I am sure others will recommend then also.

Mike

My seat riser is only 2" tall, and I wanted to put the battery under the seat. I wound up cutting a hole in the floor, made a small box to hold the Odyssey battery and hung it down so the top of the battery box is flush with the top of the floor.

Jeff

On my Spirit body there is a molded fiberglass battery "tub" that hangs below the floor between the frame rail and driveshaft under the passenger seat. Holds a full-sized battery.

Good to see you back Craig. The Odyssey battery is a great battery for t-bucket builders. Mounting it flush with the top of your floor works good. If you run into clearance problems you can raise it to within an inch of the seat bottom.

Ron

Good to see you back Craig. The Odyssey battery is a great battery for t-bucket builders. Mounting it flush with the top of your floor works good. If you run into clearance problems you can raise it to within an inch of the seat bottom.

Ron

Thanks for everyone's input. The smaller battery sounds good... I'm not too confident on hanging anything down near the driveshaft.

Ron, I lost my heated space at work because of all the projects going on there this winter, so I've just been playing with some stuff that fits in my basement. Spring couldn't come fast enough

Thanks for everyone's input. The smaller battery sounds good... I'm not too confident on hanging anything down near the driveshaft.

Ron, I lost my heated space at work because of all the projects going on there this winter, so I've just been playing with some stuff that fits in my basement. Spring couldn't come fast enough

And you are confident sitting next to it? Front and rear drive shaft hoops would solve both concerns.

Al

Look at my post on the Chrome T painted for a photo of my small battery under the seat............

Mike

Not under the seat, but same battery for the last 16 years. And yes, a 15# battery can start it and save you 32 #.

DSC010221014x760.jpg

Those little powerful AGM batteries make great scooter batteries. Over 1700 miles on the scoot and batteries still test like new,

DSC000021200x900.jpg

Bob

Not under the seat, but same battery for the last 16 years. And yes, a 15# battery can start it and save you 32 #.

DSC010221014x760.jpg

How many women in California can say "No Silicone" :hooray:

Here's an unsolicited opinion.....

I'm hoping to get my battery under a seat and as far away from the fuel tank as practical due to my concern in case of a rear end accident.

A side post battery might offer a inch or so more clearance.

I bought one of the same small batteries as Bob has... When I mount it, it will be as close to my starter as I can get it, this will keep the main starter cable small and short, from the ground operated starter solenoid, directly from the battery to the solenoid, that cable also can be short and smaller than a normal car cable... but work just as good... Ya think?? :) PS, I was reading all about that battery, I will not mount it on it's side or up side down myself... They still breathe...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back