Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Be Carefull....:(

GAB said:
... Here is how it fits the body:

6-2-2008004.jpg

6-2-2008003.jpg

Man that is nice... I know I'd feel a hole lot better in something like that... as usual George, really outstanding work.

I plan on installing belts in mine. I feel naked driving with out one now.

I always wondered about the body mounting on buckets. A 5/8 piece of plywood and some glass do not make for a really secure mount. How do you all address this?

Actually I will post that question in the body section.

Where cross members go in the frame, in the corner I weld in a pc of 1/4 triangle plate about 2x2 with a 3/8 hole in it. 6 of these in the car. I use these to bolt the body down and use big 1/4 thick flat washers, against the wood. Where do you get 1/4 thick flat washer, you make em with a big hole saw.

You can use these mounts for seat belts too if you want.

I've got one belt in mine for the driver. Doing the car over so it'll have 2 seat belts before it leaves the garage now. I'm always worried about a low speed crash 10mph or so. Without a belt, you'll get knocked around pretty bad.

I've had my T 20 years in October; I can't tell you how many close calls I've had because some idiot either didn't see me, or wasn't paying attention.

GAB said:
"but can it be done?" Not sure that I understand that...it has been done as far as I can tell...or maybe I've been eating magic mushrooms or something. :)

Here is how it fits the body:

6-2-2008004.jpg

6-2-2008003.jpg

Outstanding work, GAB! That could be the textbook photos for making the safest T Bucket ever. VERY nicely done.

Of course with that much protection, ya might as well toss a blown big block in your car. I mean, since ya got peace of mind.;)

Keeper said:
...I was thinking of running a cross member under where the rear of the seat was and bolting right into that for belts...

I used some big bolts and big washers to install my seat-belts to the body... I know they will hold just fine... however, should I be hit hard enough to have the body separate from the frame, the thought of me becoming the washer holding the body on if I mounted the belts to the frame was more than I was comfortable with! :eek:

Thanks Fred for the comment and compliment.

When we started building this car (a long, long time ago), I was planning on my 16 year old son having some driving privileges with it when completed. I wanted something between him and the outside world in case something went wrong. While at that time, I was not a seat belt wearer, I wasn't concerning myself with the mounting of them.

After enough harassment by my wife, I began to use belts and now I don't feel comfortable without them.

However, in the ensuing years and having read the arguments about belt mounting that appear periodically on the different websites, I'm still not sure about my opinion on how they should be done.

The first thing that concerns me is the idea that so many people have about the body coming off of the frame in the event of a crash. Obviously it happens as witnessed by the recent accident in Washington. But the body was basically intact which leads me to believe that the attachment on the body to the frame was minimal at best. The engine and transmission were still in place according to the photo. They are held in position by rubber mounts that would be subject to a shear load and the mass would be somewhat like that of the body and a passenger. Why didn't they come out also?

My first thought was that the body was probably mounted using the Well-Nuts that Total promotes. While your research showed them to have a tensile strength that you felt comfortable with, I believe that the shear load would be a more appropriate measure of suitability for this application.

I'm leaning to the idea that if the body is mounted solidly to the floor and the mounting bolts are sufficiently sized (1/2" is what I've got) and washers or some form of fitting to spread the load so that bolts will not pull through the floor material, it doesn't matter whether the belts are attached to the body or the frame. The belt attachment should be given the same care in deciding the method of doing it as is given to the body/frame connection.

Those are just my thoughts on it. Sorry for the rambling! :)

That peanut motor will give this old man all of the excitement that he can stand. You ever hear of a guy by the name of Don Cain? He used to drive the Pusch & Cain Fuel Funny car. He had the sister to this car with a bone stock 2300 Ford in it. He gave many a guy white knuckle rides in it. 1385 lbs. makes even peanut motors fun. :)

George: Any drawings for the cage? You always have great ones and now I'm feeling a little naked too.LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back