Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Be safe out there

Mike

From time to time, I am made aware of things people have said and done in other venues. For the most part, I try to let that stuff slip in one ear and right back out of the other. Gossip is gossip and most of it isn't worth the time it takes to read it.

But then, there are the times when someone says something that is designed to deceive others, to trick them into making rash decisions and possibly fatal mistakes. Suddenly, small talk turns into malicious and dangerous talk.

A former member of this site (who shall remain nameless, for obvious, legal reasons) has once again shifted gears and is making comments and observations that are incredibly stupid. And to simply let that kind of chatter stand unchallenged is an off-hand form of acceptance. Which, as many of you already know, is not my style.

It seems this asshat was in attendance at the 2013 NTBA Nationals, in Carson City, Nevada. And since he was unable to further inflate his own ego by any other means, he was challenging people to street races. The asshat is sniping at one of the NTBA elected officers who refused to race him, because of his elected office. Let me ask you this - what if that NTBA officer had accepted the asshat's challenge and something had gone terribly wrong? How would that have looked in the next day's newspaper?

Let me make something perfectly clear, to all of you. Street racing is completely illegal and is also dangerous beyond belief. I'm not here to tell anyone what they can or cannot do with their own lives, but I am going to tell you that trying to break laws and risk lives, all in the name of bragging rights, is about the most infantile and ignorant decision anyone could possibly make. At no point in time, have I ever suggested anyone violate any laws or risk any lives. And it isn't going to happen in the future, either.

People, I spent a lot of years involved in drag racing. I am likely more of a hard-core performance enthusiast than anyone here. But the drag racing I was involved with was sanctioned drag racing at sanctioned tracks, where cars were required to pass stringent technical inspections and where safety equipment was on hand to handle the inevitable accidents. Drivers were required to pass physicals, to ensure they were healthy enough to be operating cars at high rates of speed. And in spite of all of these safety precautions, I have still witnessed friends being injured and being killed.

My best friend drove off the end of a track in Kentucky, where the car ended up flipping, violently. Thankfully, the car broke up as it was designed to do, shedding off excess weight, in order to keep the driver safe. But in spite of all the safety items he was required to wear, which included arm restraints, he still suffered a broken wrist.

I watched a friend leave the starting line in a Top Alcohol Funny Car, for what should have been just another pass. The car violently shook the tires, came out of the groove and struck the near-side retaining wall. That broke the steering on the car, which might have been a good thing, as it kept the car scrubbing along the wall. But it apparently knocked my friend unconscious. The headers were bent back into the body, which caused the body to catch fire. And before the safety crews could get to where the car finally came to a stop, my pal had suffered life-ending burns.

Another good friend crashed a Top Alcohol Funny Car and suffered head injuries that leave him living in his own little world. He was no longer able to hold down a job, but he sometimes forgets the need to pay his utulity bills and to go to the grocery store, so he can eat.

Now I know, all of you think your car is as safe as Aunt Polly's rocking chair, but I'm telling you, I'm yet to see any of you posting cars with a purpose-built racing chassis, complete with a roll cage. How many of you have 5 or 6-point racing harnesses, to keep you in the car, if something goes wrong? How many of you are wearing multi-layer firesuits, with gloves, arm restraints and HANS devices?

And when one of you manages to step up to show me your car is built to those kinds of standards, let me ask you what you know about the T-Bucket on the other side of that Carson City highway? Does it meet the same standards? And even if it does, are you prepared for something like this to happen?

People, things happen. Bad things. Dangerous things. And they happen on cars that have passed extremely tough safety checks and are racing on extremely well-prepared and very flat racing surfaces. And there are no guarantees a car isn't going to come at you from the other lane.

Racing is dangerous as Hell, even when you do it the right way. And hear me well, when I say racing on a public street or road is NOT THE RIGHT WAY. No matter what some puffed-up asshole may try to tell you. I don't care how 'perfect' the stretch of road he has selected seems to be, racing there is illegal and extremely dangerous.

People, this ill-informed idiot wants to suggest anyone who didn't pick up his challenge to risk their cars and their lives are somehow missing the boat and are not fun-loving. Don't you believe it, not for a second. If that kind of idiot wants to race, then it seems to me he should have built a race car, rather than buying a street rod. There is a difference between the two, whether he is too stupid to see it or not.

Build your car so it will satisfy you. If you want to build a car that is all show and no go, then by all means, build it. Drive it. And enjoy it. What difference does it really make, if the car produces fewer than 200 horsepower on a questionable chassis dyno? The correct answer is, no difference at all. Do I see members of this site posting inflated horsepower guesstimates? Nearly every day of the week. But the bottom line is that kind of bragging puts no one in any danger, so I just chuckle to myself and keep reading.

Be safe, all of you. Think about what you are building and build it to be as safe as you can make it. And then use common sense, whilst driving it. Don't let smart-assed blowhards goad you into making bad decisions.

I have also been made aware this same maroon is suddenly about trying to drive a wedge between the NTBA and Bob Chester, of Spirit Industries. People, the last time I looked, both the NTBA and Spirit Industries were all about helping T-Bucket enthusiasts live their T-Bucket dreams. Which means our attitude toward both of them should be inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Remember, anyone who supports T-Buckets is supporting your personal hobby, so be sure to support those who support you.

Yes, I am aware the maroon suddenly has an ax to grind with the NTBA, but that is his own, personal problem (of which I feel he has many, BTW). Don't let him pull you into his personal pity party. As I observed when running him out the door of this site, square pegs were never meant to fit into round holes.

Street racing is dangerous. Please, please, please, do not put yourself in dangerous positions. Always operate your vehicles within their limitations, and if you want to race, then visit your local race track and race safely.

From time to time, I am made aware of things people have said and done in other venues. For the most part, I try to let that stuff slip in one ear and right back out of the other. Gossip is gossip and most of it isn't worth the time it takes to read it.

But then, there are the times when someone says something that is designed to deceive others, to trick them into making rash decisions and possibly fatal mistakes. Suddenly, small talk turns into malicious and dangerous talk.

A former member of this site (who shall remain nameless, for obvious, legal reasons) has once again shifted gears and is making comments and observations that are incredibly stupid. And to simply let that kind of chatter stand unchallenged is an off-hand form of acceptance. Which, as many of you already know, is not my style.

It seems this asshat was in attendance at the 2013 NTBA Nationals, in Carson City, Nevada. And since he was unable to further inflate his own ego by any other means, he was challenging people to street races. The asshat is sniping at one of the NTBA elected officers who refused to race him, because of his elected office. Let me ask you this - what if that NTBA officer had accepted the asshat's challenge and something had gone terribly wrong? How would that have looked in the next day's newspaper?

Let me make something perfectly clear, to all of you. Street racing is completely illegal and is also dangerous beyond belief. I'm not here to tell anyone what they can or cannot do with their own lives, but I am going to tell you that trying to break laws and risk lives, all in the name of bragging rights, is about the most infantile and ignorant decision anyone could possibly make. At no point in time, have I ever suggested anyone violate any laws or risk any lives. And it isn't going to happen in the future, either.

People, I spent a lot of years involved in drag racing. I am likely more of a hard-core performance enthusiast than anyone here. But the drag racing I was involved with was sanctioned drag racing at sanctioned tracks, where cars were required to pass stringent technical inspections and where safety equipment was on hand to handle the inevitable accidents. Drivers were required to pass physicals, to ensure they were healthy enough to be operating cars at high rates of speed. And in spite of all of these safety precautions, I have still witnessed friends being injured and being killed.

My best friend drove off the end of a track in Kentucky, where the car ended up flipping, violently. Thankfully, the car broke up as it was designed to do, shedding off excess weight, in order to keep the driver safe. But in spite of all the safety items he was required to wear, which included arm restraints, he still suffered a broken wrist.

I watched a friend leave the starting line in a Top Alcohol Funny Car, for what should have been just another pass. The car violently shook the tires, came out of the groove and struck the near-side retaining wall. That broke the steering on the car, which might have been a good thing, as it kept the car scrubbing along the wall. But it apparently knocked my friend unconscious. The headers were bent back into the body, which caused the body to catch fire. And before the safety crews could get to where the car finally came to a stop, my pal had suffered life-ending burns.

Another good friend crashed a Top Alcohol Funny Car and suffered head injuries that leave him living in his own little world. He was no longer able to hold down a job, but he sometimes forgets the need to pay his utulity bills and to go to the grocery store, so he can eat.

Now I know, all of you think your car is as safe as Aunt Polly's rocking chair, but I'm telling you, I'm yet to see any of you posting cars with a purpose-built racing chassis, complete with a roll cage. How many of you have 5 or 6-point racing harnesses, to keep you in the car, if something goes wrong? How many of you are wearing multi-layer firesuits, with gloves, arm restraints and HANS devices?

And when one of you manages to step up to show me your car is built to those kinds of standards, let me ask you what you know about the T-Bucket on the other side of that Carson City highway? Does it meet the same standards? And even if it does, are you prepared for something like this to happen?

People, things happen. Bad things. Dangerous things. And they happen on cars that have passed extremely tough safety checks and are racing on extremely well-prepared and very flat racing surfaces. And there are no guarantees a car isn't going to come at you from the other lane.

Racing is dangerous as Hell, even when you do it the right way. And hear me well, when I say racing on a public street or road is NOT THE RIGHT WAY. No matter what some puffed-up asshole may try to tell you. I don't care how 'perfect' the stretch of road he has selected seems to be, racing there is illegal and extremely dangerous.

People, this ill-informed idiot wants to suggest anyone who didn't pick up his challenge to risk their cars and their lives are somehow missing the boat and are not fun-loving. Don't you believe it, not for a second. If that kind of idiot wants to race, then it seems to me he should have built a race car, rather than buying a street rod. There is a difference between the two, whether he is too stupid to see it or not.

Build your car so it will satisfy you. If you want to build a car that is all show and no go, then by all means, build it. Drive it. And enjoy it. What difference does it really make, if the car produces fewer than 200 horsepower on a questionable chassis dyno? The correct answer is, no difference at all. Do I see members of this site posting inflated horsepower guesstimates? Nearly every day of the week. But the bottom line is that kind of bragging puts no one in any danger, so I just chuckle to myself and keep reading.

Be safe, all of you. Think about what you are building and build it to be as safe as you can make it. And then use common sense, whilst driving it. Don't let smart-assed blowhards goad you into making bad decisions.

I have also been made aware this same maroon is suddenly about trying to drive a wedge between the NTBA and Bob Chester, of Spirit Industries. People, the last time I looked, both the NTBA and Spirit Industries were all about helping T-Bucket enthusiasts live their T-Bucket dreams. Which means our attitude toward both of them should be inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Remember, anyone who supports T-Buckets is supporting your personal hobby, so be sure to support those who support you.

Yes, I am aware the maroon suddenly has an ax to grind with the NTBA, but that is his own, personal problem (of which I feel he has many, BTW). Don't let him pull you into his personal pity party. As I observed when running him out the door of this site, square pegs were never meant to fit into round holes.

Street racing is dangerous. Please, please, please, do not put yourself in dangerous positions. Always operate your vehicles within their limitations, and if you want to race, then visit your local race track and race safely.

Very well said, Mike! We need more guys to speak up to a**holes that are hell bent on ruining this great hobby of ours.

Jim

Mike,

You comments are right on target.

I do not think that I ever heard the word 'asshat', however in this case it is totally appropriate.

Mark

Very well said, Mike! We need more guys to speak up to a**holes that are hell bent on ruining this great hobby of ours.
Jim, the bottom line is everyone builds a car to drive the way THEY want to drive it. And for anyone else to come along and judge them for it is flippin' wrong, all day long. I don't care if someone builds a custom car to drive for ice cream, to drive to work or if they mount a snowplow on it to push snow out of their driveway. Because they have the car they wanted and they are doing what they want to do with it.

But when an asshat (Mark, that is a term for someone with his/her head in a dark place, as in wearing his/her ass for a hat) starts belittling people for not taking up his challenge to violate public laws, then it is time to start identifying idiots for what they really are.

I always cringe whenever people end up getting caught/hurt in a street race, because the news reports never call those people street racers. They are always identified as drag racers, which is as far away from the truth as it can get. And since I am more than just a little familiar with this particular idiot's libel and defamation, I can only imagine what his reaction would have been, had someone been silly enough to take up his challenge, only for something to have gone wrong. And let's face it, arrests and some really bad press for the NTBA would have been about the best anyone could have hoped for, in a bad situation. What would have happened if a car had gone out of control? I'll leave you to imagine the scary scenarios for yourselves.

And then for the very same asshat to start trying to introduce division amongst T-Bucket enthusiasts is abso-feckin-lutely beyond belief. The NTBA is trying to bring T-Bucket enthusiasts together and the gang at Spirit Industries is trying to help T-Bucket enthusiasts to build the car of their dreams. Which, in my book, means they are both doing the right things for the right reasons. Just because an asshat doesn't fit in with the NTBA, any better than he fit in here, certainly doesn't mean anyone should start playing Spirit against the NTBA. Anyone who is trying to help, unite and support T-bucket enthusiasts is alright in my book. That is why this forum was established, after all. :thumbsup:

As Jim said very well said Mike......

...I just don't understand his thinking and I have tried to 'splain things to this dude on more than one occasion but it's just not possible to get through......

....The NTBA/Spirit are about the little cars that bring the family together, not how fast those little cars go, When asked by anyone anywhere how fast it will go my answer is, it will get to the speed limit somewhat fast.........................

Mike

These cars can be incredibly quick, and they do not handle the way that modern sports cars with comparable power-to-weight ratio do. Anyone who underestimates the intersection of those two facts is in a very dangerous position. Add in the random factor of conditions on a public road (and an overblown connection between "manhood" and speed) and you have the potential for disaster.

Another thing we need to consider is , some states and a few in the federal govt. don't like the cars that are non factory and would shut us down if they could, and every stupid thing that some moron does gives them more ammo to use to that end.

Another thing we need to consider is , some states and a few in the federal govt. don't like the cars that are non factory and would shut us down if they could, and every stupid thing that some moron does gives them more ammo to use to that end.
goldstar.png

Francis, you get the gold star.

I can only imagine how damaging it could have been, had a couple of T-Bucket owners been arrested whilst street racing. The thought of the damage the news reports and newspaper articles would have done is astronomical.

What most people do not realize is there are insurance costs to be covered, when organizing events like these. Liability can be enormous, if something should happen to go wrong. Arrests would have been damaging enough, but what if there had been property damage? Or, Heaven forbid, personal injury. What would the chances be that Carson City would ever welcome another T-Bucket event, had something gone wrong?

All this should just serve as a reminder to never underestimate the stupidity of idiots.

Not to mention any names, but I believe the same guy was in front of me going into Reno, on the freeway and we were doing about 60 mph when he slammed on his brakes. I locked up and went sideways. My wife had a fit. I did not see any brake lights. Later that night he was pulling in to his space and I asked someone if they saw brake lights on his car. The guy asked him and he said he had no brake lights and thought it was a little funny and said he would fix them when he got home. The next day we were going to Lake Tahoe and I said something to one of the officials and they told him could not go on the run. Like that worked, he went anyway.
Needless to say the guy is a real JERK....

I'm happy to hear you were not involved in an accident. These kinds of events are designed to be fun for everyone, and that could have been jeopardized by one thoughtless individual. I heard he read someone (you, perhaps?) the riot act for not paying attention to his hand signals. :rolleyes:

Mike
It was not me he read the riot act to. He never asked if we were OK. He acted like nothing happened.
Do I need to say more about the guy.

Gary, I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. Your Tangerine T was one of the best I've ever seen, a real work of art.
Steve

Speaking as a former (many years ago) street racer, it is and always was dangerous and stupid. I never had an accident while racing but did watch a close friend come very close to death when he rolled a V-8 vega. I also witnessed a couple other crashes, luckily no fatalities.
I`m just happy I outlived those not so smart days.
Tracks are for racing, streets are for cruising. I don`t now the person referred to in above posts and don`t think I would care to. Hopefully somebody like that won`t ruin the hobby I love before I get a chance to build my own bucket.
Remember, all it takes is one bad apple. JMHO.

The worst part is super a**hat had been going all over fb complaining in every group he could find. He joined this Topolino, Tbucket group and started whining over there as well. To the point I quit going there. I made a comment about his heap not having signal lights and he felt hand signals were good enough. I am scared to death of getting rear-ended by a Denali or F250 in my bucket I bought the brightest brake lights I could find. I do know that my 3 girls (18-22) have no idea what hand signals are so apparently they don't teach them in driving school anymore. He'll sit there and argue with people about what intake to use on their car. What a douche bag.

And he always wonders why he always ends up the outcast? :rolleyes:

Oh well, he started his forum about 30 months ago, to spite me. And our growth has been swelling ever since. His hate campaign is one of the best things ever to happen to this site. :thumbsup: I suppose I really should thank the baw juggler for sending me all the traffic he does, but that's not gonna happen. :)

I think I need to just make a couple of quick points for the members that may not know the history.

Yep I have a T Bucket.

Yep I also have a Topolino.

Yep Im a co runner of another forum.

And NO I am not the person referred to in the above posts.

Trouble is that 2 + 2 often makes 5 and its the innocents that fits the profile, who ends up with the bad reputation.

Just saying, thats all.

Kinda done with all this crap

Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back