Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bed angle.

raidmagic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been fighting with where I want to mount the bed because I have been trying to avoid a huge angle on the body line but in an effort to make installing this tank a little easier I'm conceding and mounting the bed higher than I had planned so I want to know what you think. How does it look?
Also in this pic you can see the new motor and the 4" I added to the bottom of the body.
bedangle.jpg

Personally, I think that it makes your car look broken mounted at an angle like that. This is only my opinion. If you like the look then go for it.

Jim

I think flat looks better. But something to think about if you have a square tank in there angled the gas gauge will read way off.

putz said:
I think flat looks better. But something to think about if you have a square tank in there angled the gas gauge will read way off.
The bed angle has nothing to do with the tank that's just how it sits to the body. I hate the angle one minute and don't mind it the next but I don't love it at anytime. It does match the raise in the body coming up to the back of the body.
I guess I could pie cut it in front of the raised body line in the side of the bed and lower the rear some I'm just not sure that would work and don't want to ruin it.

This is what makes a bucket individual. Build to your liking:lol:

putz said:
This is what makes a bucket individual. Build to your liking:lol:

Can I get a bigger picture of your avatar. Did your bed fit level like that or did you have to modify it to fit that way?

This is all part of the engineering you have to do when building a bucket. Personally i like the box to be in a parallel plane to the top edge of the body. This shouldn't be hard for you since you added 4" to the bottom of the body. I would trim the front of the box to get it where i wanted it and glass it on. JMO

Ron

Youngster said:
This is all part of the engineering you have to do when building a bucket. Personally i like the box to be in a parallel plane to the top edge of the body.

I agree with that.
The first T I built, the bed fit on the body just like yours. You just have to modify it to work. Its to bad the people making these things will put out crap that doesnt fit right....

Bought the car this way.I also have a step some people wonder how they work ask youngster his daughter I think wants one after using mine.
tbucket003.jpg

Youngster said:
This is all part of the engineering you have to do when building a bucket. Personally i like the box to be in a parallel plane to the top edge of the body. This shouldn't be hard for you since you added 4" to the bottom of the body. I would trim the front of the box to get it where i wanted it and glass it on. JMO

Ron

Yea I'm probably overthinking this. I just like the large area it which it meets the body and trying to think of a way to save that. I should probably just quit screwing around and cut it.

The problem is your to high on the rear body radius. Is the bed just a shell??? if not mabye you can gut it and put it further down on the body radius of the body. Raid take another pic of the opening

I have it that high to hide my fuel tank. It still angles pretty bad lower. The bed and body are made by different people so they don't really match up well.
Here it is lower
bedandtank.jpg

and higher for comparison
bedangle.jpg

I think i would make a cardboard template of the body radius on the rear of the body starting at the highest point that will cover your tank. Then set it on the bed side and creep up on a good fit. JMO

Steve, You have it fitting good at the body up high where you need it. justmake a cut on both sides from where it mounts to the body, cut it straight with the box square in the bed almost completely off, just leave a small lip so when you tilt it down, it will still be together, make the rear tailgate and top of the bed square with both the firewall and the top of the body, now you will have a good line, and nothing should look broken.. Glass the pie cut together, screw a thin piece of tin or alum, to the outside of the bed and add the glass to the back/inside, then do your magic to the outside, all better than new now.. YES? just me, this is what I would do.. Good Luck with what ever You decide.. :)

I concur with Ted. If when you cut the box you find you need it longer just cut all the way thru and lengthen it as Ted described.

Ron

You're right putz, she said she wants a step on her car and a shorter colunm ... lol.
i have some shipping to do later this week. I'll get that post out to you then.

Ron

Yeah Putz, you did yours about how ours is.

However.........................
When I was a smart ass kid I was looking at a local rendition of a 46 Mercury Convertable. I had the diss to suggest to the builder that I didn't like the car because of the way he did the tail lights. His lip curled around the Camel plain as he said "I didn't build it for you, you little turd, I built it for ME and I f*%#en LIKE IT JUST FINE LIKE THIS".

Big lesson in life learnt right there.

You are spot on Al.

Jim

LumenAl said:
If it were me, I'd have the lines on the same parallel... It would involve some cutting, a little patching, but well worth it... Just my opinion...

bodyline.jpg

That's the thought I keep coming back too. Thanks for the input I'll be cutting it up this week.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back