Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Billet

FYI, Here is a group of guys that absolutely despise billet.

Attachments

• machine shop 1.bmp
    388.4 KB · Views: 19
Gerry--I disagree that billet has no soul. The soul is in the hands of the artist and always has been. The piece of machinery is the paintbrush. To explain this: look at --Andy Warhol's --work, he painted a soup can for Campbell's Soup. The work was done with such precision people thought it was ridiculous back in the '60's. Now worth more than a million dollars. Same thing with billet, it's beautiful. And there is only a handful of people smart enough, and with the math skills in Algebra to even do this kind of work. I think I would call that art.

Mike has just opened up the door for me on this one. Bet I will get some grunts about my view but here goes

You will NOT see Billet on any of my cars, unless there is no alternative with a part. Why

To me Billet has no soul, no love in it and it devoid of 'personality' Yep is PERFECT to the n'th degree and thats what I dont like about it. Modern CAD systems even tell you if you have got something wrong before it happens, and are capable of (given a good operator) producing things we would never tackle if it was done the old way. I know that CNC does things we could only imagine just a few years ago but to me its just lifeless.

There you go I have said it. Not knocking anyone who likes the stuff, or has it all over their ride. Just not for me.

Let the onslaught begin....
Gerry

PS Bits you see on my T that look like billet are hand made the old way. And YEP I do use a lathe and mill. But manual ones.
[/quote]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back