Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Blowers/superchargers

Well my 454 came out of an early 80's dually so it may have a steel crank already. I'll know when I change out the oil pump before putting it in the car.
It Probably has a Steel crank then with good rods....look up the # on the block for verification purposes....
If thats the case, all you'd need is to get the crank doublekeyed, add asteel hub or run a fluiddampr balancer and your blower kit

It Probably has a Steel crank then with good rods....look up the # on the block for verification purposes....
If that's the case, all you'd need is to get the crank double keyed, add a steel hub or run a fluid dampr balancer and your blower kit
Of course you have to take the crank out of the motor to put the double key way in.

Could I use a Dremel tool? Lol joke. Removing the crank just makes you do what you should anyway. Check your journals. Might as well freshen up that bottom end since it is out of the block anyway.

Reactions: RPM
:coffee::thumbsup:

Would a stock big block Chevy cast crank and rods be sufficient?

I ran my cast crank 454 with stock tho shotpeined rods and heavy TRW blower pistons to 6800 rpm and ran as quick as 10.2@132mph. I raced it for four summers and also did 5000 miles on the street with it. The crank was double keyway'd and the comp ratio was 7.63:1.

It eventually died on a dyno when the dyno operator ran it way lean and everything melted. I reckon the key to running the cast crank over 6000 revs was the low ompression ratio and the 5-6 lbs of boost.

I ran my cast crank 454 with stock tho shotpeined rods and heavy TRW blower pistons to 6800 rpm and ran as quick as 10.2@132mph. I raced it for four summers and also did 5000 miles on the street with it. The crank was double keyway'd and the comp ratio was 7.63:1.

It eventually died on a dyno when the dyno operator ran it way lean and everything melted. I reckon the key to running the cast crank over 6000 revs was the low ompression ratio and the 5-6 lbs of boost.

A cast crank is fine as long as you stay within limits of the thing. A BB Crank, if polished, relieved of all stress risers shotpeened &/of nitrided, makes for a tough crank. I polish and completely smooth them to make them as strong as possible.
BB rods, of smoothed, shotpeened, and have good bolts put in....are good enough to handle a good bit of stress.
A stock, done well bottom end will hold to 6000 as long as boost is kept down....
Theres alot of other things that vary this....what % of over or under balancing on the crank, crank prep, rod prep, type of oil and pressure, harmonic balancer, etc....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back