Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

body choices

foodog2

I have been reading for about a year and am getting close to making the purchase. I am down to three choices a Spirit 27, a Zipper roadster, or a Brookville 29 pickup. I really want a full hood with prefered louvered sides which I have not seen a Spirit 27 with a hood. I know this is not an A forum but its part of the process. I like the Zipper the best but like the idea of the steel body of the Brookville 29 roadster. The problem with both of those is price is about 7-10k more. I would like to use a Ford 302 and AOD or C4 transmission because I like the thought of a Ford motor in a Ford but might have to go Chevy. Brookville tells me the 302 needs a longer chassis so a 29 hiboy on a 32 chassis is the way to make it fit. Well that is a few grand more for the chassis or I have to modify the firewall. I believe the Zipper package is meant for a Chevy without fab work.

Since I am new to all this I plan to buy a turn key motor tranny combo from somewherr like Tough Dawg and want a complete roller package. I do not want to do any fab work since I know my limits and tools. This is where Spirit looks most attractive since it is pretty much complete as a kit. Where I think Zipper and Brookville roller packages are really expensive in comparisson and would need a Chevy motor. Nothing wrong with that I just like Fords but would run Chevy to make it easier and cheaper too. The only thing that bothers me about the Spirit is having to glass in the trunk.

I did not make it to nationals like I planned but need to know which of these bodies has the most room? I am 5'11 260 so not small and the wife needs room too.

Not sure where to start on this one. I know nothing about Zipper Motors and very little about the Spirit cars, but am pretty familiar with the Brookville Roadster bodies. My Son's rpu is based on a 30 Brookville body and bed, and I helped him on a lot of the fabrication.

I guess the first thing I should ask is, what style are you thinking about if you use a Brookville ? Channelled, highboy, fendered, fenderless, type of front and rear suspension, and things like that. What frame would you be using ? You mention needing the extra length and not wanting to buy a Deuce frame, so that makes me think you are leaning toward a model a frame.

What is making it hard to give you some suggestions is that the 3 choices you have quoted are far apart in style and construction methods. If you narrow it down to one and show some pictures of what you would like yours to look like we can start honing in on some things to help you get there. One thing that is not in your favor is that cars of that era are tight inside anyway, and if you start channelling them you make them even tighter to squeeze into. Guys of your stature sometimes find that cars like this are not very comfortable. Not trying to discourage you, just want to lay out all the pluses and minuses before you shell out good money.

The biggest problem I see is the statement you make about not wanting to do any fab work. There are no cars I know of that don't require some of that to get them together, even the so called "kits".

Don

I am looking at a roller from Brookville 31 extended cab on a model A chassia. He told me it would have to be a deuce chassis to use the ford motor. Here are the two looks the blue is the brookville and yellow is the zipper

Attachments

• 090409-01ZipperLakesRoadster.jpeg
    090409-01ZipperLakesRoadster.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 73
  • pickup-aerial.jpeg
    pickup-aerial.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 70
I have seen the extended Brookville body and it does give a little more room for larger folks. They are also right about the sbf being longer and needing more room. I am running one in my 27 on a model a frame, and the motor goes back under my firewall about 4 inches.

Don

Those Brookvilles are nice but you better be big bank Hank to finish one of those off.
I've priced a bunch of those over the years, and couldn't leap because felt they they took the financial commitment to the next level.

Thanks Jim. From what I could find the stock SBF was 29". With the Ford Racing short water pump assy it is 27 1/2". There is also the 94/95 Mustang reverse rotation pump that is 27 1/4" I believe. The short WP Chevy is 27". Pretty crazy if you need to run a whole different chassis for 1/2" of room. It sure must be tight.

Ford Racing pump
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/STREET_ROD_SHORT_V_BELT_WATER_PUMP_p/m-8501-e351s.htm

94/95 Mustang setup.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M8501A50/94-95-Mustang-50L-Water-Pump-Timing-Cover-Kit

I am not trying to take this thread off topic but I would hate for someone to spend $1000's of extra dollars or make a poor decision on how a SBC is the only engine that will fit when a SBF with the right water pump assy is within 1/4" of the same length.

Maybe check out a company called Last Refuge Hot rods, they make a simlar RPU body like Brookville, but also make a cool low slung A' based frame. We have used numerous Brooville body styles, and I really like the extended 30-31 pick up that Brizio built (the blue one your showing, I believe). The Brookville bodies are top notch and are priced reasonable for what you get. I have not used the Last Refuge body, I've only seen them at a few shows, but they look nice.
The A' pick up your looking at ( if it's the one I think it is) has had lots of small things changed to get that look. So dont expect the package Brookville has will look just like that one.

Jerry, the problem with Last Refuge is they have so much negative feedback about their business practices. If you google them or go on some car forums and do a search you will find where they take forever to ship parts, do not respond to emails or calls asking for information on paid-for orders, and generally do not treat customers well. Supposedly, the parts they finally do ship are not bad, but some people are still waiting after 2 years.

Just a heads up. Here is just one of many threads on the subject:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575708&highlight=last+refuge

Don

It would be nice to think they might change their ways, but Norb has been operating that way for years, and Leopards don't usually change their spots. No matter how much bad press he gets he just keeps doing things the same old way. Some people are just lousy business people.

Don

I hate to add more confusion or self promote but I've been reading this thread and I just want to say that Spirit will be offering an A roadster soon and I'm pretty excited about it. here is a link

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back