Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Filler, Primer, and Cheap...but Good Paint Questions

Another cool trick you can do with a base/clear meangreen taught me in school when we painted my truck. It was gloss black metallic for the base and I wanted flames but could not afford that much paint bagging groceries after school so he had me pick up a quart of silver base and showed me how to lay out the flames on the body. Once we had the silver flames layed down we used 1/8 inch masking tape and taped off the outside edge of the flames. Then meangreen took some of my clear and added tint to it and sorayed it over the flames. Three tints later and a few layers of clear over the whole truck and I had a fantastic looking paint job with flames for less than $400.00! With the tinted clear sprayed over the silver it looked almost like a candy color. I still have a picture somewhere I can try to post if yall want.

I hate mixing paint so I am using the pre mixed ready to spray dupli color paint shop paint. I have used the primer and my dad has used some of the paint. We have not had any issues yet. I am painting my stuff in my garage. And I can vouch the primer dries fast which is kinda nice.
The dupli color paintshop premixed paint is lacquer paint. But hey that what we used back in shop class. Back in the Day Old Skool but cool

Another cool trick you can do with a base/clear meangreen taught me in school when we painted my truck. It was gloss black metallic for the base and I wanted flames but could not afford that much paint bagging groceries after school so he had me pick up a quart of silver base and showed me how to lay out the flames on the body. Once we had the silver flames layed down we used 1/8 inch masking tape and taped off the outside edge of the flames. Then meangreen took some of my clear and added tint to it and sorayed it over the flames. Three tints later and a few layers of clear over the whole truck and I had a fantastic looking paint job with flames for less than $400.00! With the tinted clear sprayed over the silver it looked almost like a candy color. I still have a picture somewhere I can try to post if yall want.

Yeah, let's see the pics.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to post pictures at this time. I have two on my cell phone but I cannot seem to upload them.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to post pictures at this time. I have two on my cell phone but I cannot seem to upload them.

Try downloading them to Photobucket then post them.

Jim

slideshow
Lets see if this works.

Something else I didn't see mentioned is to always get and READ the MSDS sheets with your materials. Be safe.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back