Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Mount to Frame

Hopefully everyone here isn't using "well nuts" to hold their body down!

Why not, They work if installed properly?
Scan6_0006-1.jpg

Scan6_0006-1.jpg

Gerry, your talking about "well nuts" , Flech is talking about "nylock nuts"
Thanks for correcting me! I couldn't remember the exact name.... Gerry has a good point though. I thought similar to him. I want the body to frame connection to be secure.

On my other T, I used four 3/8" bolts, big flat washers, spacers and nylocks. Ran the bolt through the washer, body, a spacer, the frame, a washer and put the nut on the end. Done. My other T was in a wreck and the body didn't come off. This stuff isn't hard and if you're trying to prevent the body from coming loose or off in a very hard hit, as in the above pic, good luck. These cars will practically blow apart, in a decent wreck. Drive safe and keep your mind on what you're doing, but keep in mind, these cars are just a motorcycle that won't fall over and they're made of glass. You get hit by anything doing more than 45mph, well.......

A guy at a show told me, "All you're trying to do, is have an open casket funeral, if you ever get hit hard." Had to agree. Here's a pic from my wreck. The cop car made an illegal left turn and caught me on my wheel and tire. He was probably doing 15-20mph. If he had hit the body, it probably would have snapped in half. Towrads the rear and the body would have cracked and possibly ruptured the gas tank.

Oh and don't bring seat belts into the mix. As I've stated before, if I get hit in one of these things, I'd rather get thrown out.

Last edited:
I see a windshield post not adequatley reinforced & a floor not properly glassed in ...:eek:
dave

Probably wouldn't have helped, anyway.

Why not, They work if installed properly?
Scan6_0006-1.jpg

Scan6_0006-1.jpg

Is there any reason that the well nuts can not be combined with other mounting methods?

I have been planning on 4 well nuts on each side, where the mounts fasten the floor to frame rail and crossmember tubes. Also there will be 2 points on each side with through bolts/large washers/nuts sandwiching the floor and body lip to outriggers. Additionally, there will be 2 points on the back of the body with brackets connecting the body to the top of the frame kick-ups.

Is there any reason that the well nuts can not be combined with other mounting methods?

I have been planning on 4 well nuts on each side, where the mounts fasten the floor to frame rail and crossmember tubes. Also there will be 2 points on each side with through bolts/large washers/nuts sandwiching the floor and body lip to outriggers. Additionally, there will be 2 points on the back of the body with brackets connecting the body to the top of the frame kick-ups.

You'd never know the well nuts weren't there.

You'd never know the well nuts weren't there.

Due to my size, I'm doing so many mounts to support the floor as much as to fasten the body to the frame....and that number is subject to change

I have cut a 45 degree angle slice of pie from a piece of frame material and welded it to the frame rail ( inside or outside) and used a big washer on the floor and a by lock nut on the bottom. Use as many as you want.

I see a windshield post not adequatley reinforced & a floor not properly glassed in ...:eek:
dave

NO YOU DON'T. You have just commented on something you know nothing about. That windshield and the steel holding it to the body is what saved my Son from certain death along with the seat belt when it hit a guard rail at 55 MPH,spun around and hit the rail again and the rolled onto the right side. A fireman was following him and cut the seat belt to get him out of the car. It broke every Hiem and most steering brackets on the car. All Metal, not fiberglass and wood. I have more pictures to show where it broke the body as well as the right head on the engine when it hit. If he had not had the seat belt on, when he first hit the guard rail, he would have been thrown out of the car and probably hit the trees that was close to the rail. If allowed I'll show the Pics. and until you experience a crash in a Bucket, please don't comment on others work. JMTCW.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back