Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Search

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been doing my reading since getting bit by the T bug. I think I have settled on a 27 T with the turtle back, unless I find someone selling a project.
Anyway, I was wanting some advise on which brand body to buy. There are a ton of them out there and I would like to avoid as many set backs as possible. I do want one door to open and would purchase with the hinges and latch installed. I have read, to not buy with the floor installed. Is this good advise? Anyone who wants to help guide me to a good decision, please jump in. I am eager to buy my first piece. I have a flathead with trans and a Ford staight axle with spindles. I also have an 8" rear axle from a 66 mustang.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

One big factor to deal with is room first off how tall are you? This is a big factor If you want a comfortable ride. A few of the companies have extended bodies that give about 8 more interior inches which doesn't sound like much but it is alot. Room in a bucket is like sitting in your recliner compared to a park bench. One of the best companies to deal with is www.spiritcars.com build a a+ product I am not sure how big there bodies are but CCR also builds a excellent product and they have an extended body.
Enjoy the ride.This site has alot of legends in bucket building that post on a regular basis.

in my honest opinion, if you are buying a body/frame package, have the floor installed, if you can afford it. especially with an opening door, the bodies are very flexable. even if your building your chassis' yourself, having a '27 body with the floor in it will help you design your frame. you should ask yourself what is your skill level and how long do you want to be building your car.

Ron

Thanks for the good advise. I like the idea of having the floor already installed. I have a separate shop with a lift, welder, plasma cutter and
the other usual goodies. I see a lot of roadsters with too much space between the engine and radiator. I think I would like to buy the frame unassembled, less work to shorten the frame if needed. Would shortening
the frame create any bad consequences? It looks like it would be 6" or less.

poliform makes an excellent '27 body. when a company set up to build a frame for a tbucket. they build one frame that will accept many different engine/ trans combo's. on some frames the gaps open up when a smaller engine is uaed where a larger one would also fit. when you build your own frame for a pre-determined engine, body, etc., you can close up these gaps.

good luck with your project...hope to see a thread on the build.

Ron

They have a oneoff on their website now for sale that is a real bargain door ,lid ,floor . very nice

wow... that's a sweet chassis too!!! just think what you'd have with the first three items they have listed for sale!!!

Ron

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, everybody seems very helpful and full of great advice; and I would like to thank everyone in advance for any info tossed my way.

I am about ready to start a new project and I found a body maker in Arizona that I really liked their Body but my computer crashed and I lost the link to their website and now that Im ready to place an order and I cant remember the name of the company.

They had a cactus on the home page and were a small operation; if anybody knows their name I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
Larry

LarryCook said:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, everybody seems very helpful and full of great advice; and I would like to thank everyone in advance for any info tossed my way.

I am about ready to start a new project and I found a body maker in Arizona that I really liked their Body but my computer crashed and I lost the link to their website and now that Im ready to place an order and I cant remember the name of the company.

They had a cactus on the home page and were a small operation; if anybody knows their name I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
Larry

Larry that would be K&S Customs, llc, I sent you a pm giving you the infomation, hope that helps.
Jerry

After a lot of searching, traveling and looking, I have decided to buy a fiberglass 27 body. I like the one from Spirit with both doors and lid hung and latched. I guess you have to pay for what you get. The 23,s are so
much cheaper, but I am too old to be climbing and Momma definitely will
not like it. Can anyone tell me why I should or not buy this one. I think
they list it as the "deluxe". I saw a 34 coupe body that had me drooling, but I think I better KISS, for the first one. If anyone has advise on a comparable body, please post it. I do not like the turtle trunks that look like they have been grafted on a 23 bucket. If someone wants to recommend a weld together frame, I welcome suggestions. I purchased another flathead engine, this one a 53 from an automobile. I passed on one for $125 and waited to long to come to my senses. I have a few leads on a couple of mercs. I live in Alabama, if shipping would be less, I would take that into consideration on any purchases. I am seeing discussion of a ester?? material used instead of the common fiberglass in some of the bodies. Does anyone have any opinions or advise on this?

I will not be able to order parts until after mid June, due to travel, but I will appreciate all input.

thanks,

I own a "Monster-T" body, bed and floor mold, that was professionally designed and constructed for a motion picture approximately 15 yrs. ago. It was used to make two rods and has been in storage since. I am considering selling or starting production with it. The inside of the molds are polished and require very little prep work when they come out of the mold. The body is stretched 18", widened 12", deepened 8", and channeled 7". The windshield posts are built into the mold and can be shortened to desired height, or plugged completely, upon construction. Due to the thickness of the body, doors can be cut. The bed is 3' x 4'. The completed rod looks like a T-Bucket on steroids and is perfect for the big guy or one that wants a rod with an attitude.

AZCOWBO said:
I own a "Monster-T" body, bed and floor mold, that was professionally designed and constructed for a motion picture approximately 15 yrs. ago. It was used to make two rods and has been in storage since. I am considering selling or starting production with it. The inside of the molds are polished and require very little prep work when they come out of the mold. The body is stretched 18", widened 12", deepened 8", and channeled 7". The windshield posts are built into the mold and can be shortened to desired height, or plugged completely, upon construction. Due to the thickness of the body, doors can be cut. The bed is 3' x 4'. The completed rod looks like a T-Bucket on steroids and is perfect for the big guy or one that wants a rod with an attitude.

And if you sell it how much do you want for the mold?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back