Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bracing question

Tundrajax

I did a search and couldn't find anything. My question is when I start on making the floor and bracing the body of my 27 could I use carbon fiber strips or spectra carb? I have access to these materials at work and I can get what I need. Just wondering if anyone else used something different besides mat and chopped glass for bracing.

I used plywood for my floor, firewall and behind the dash for good rigidity. I have no first hand experience with the materials you mentioned, but remember, the goal is not just strength, but rigidity. And it helps if fiberglass resin will adhere to whatever materials you use! (Don't ask me how I know . . .:rolleyes:)
Shifter.jpg

Sorry I should have explained better. I plan on using plywood for the floor and on the firewall but I was wondering if I could use the carbon fiber or spectra carb to join the body and wood together. Also spectra carb is fiberglass Matt sheet that has strands of carbon fiber woven through out it. We use both at work for making leg and arm orthotics and for prostetic sockets

I've used the plywood but I have notice that glass does not want to stick to the flooring ( it will encapsalate it) though. Just my opinion but it will pull away from the flooring in layers. No real problem.

I have used and recommend "The Woodpecker" to prep the wood.
Woodpecker.jpg

Man, that things looks like a Medieval torture device.

34y5jlt.jpg
[/IMG]
34y5jlt.jpg
[/IMG]
tinypic.com

I noticed yesterday the light shinning through parts of the cowl. Should I reinforce with fiber strands now or wait till I reinforce the whole cowl with some wood ?

I say, wait! Most of what you are seeing will probably be covered up in the process of adding wood to your cowl.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back