Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brake bracket location using the stretched body

I thought about using some to reinforce the back of my tub, behind the seat to take the flex out of it. I just wonder if it would be viable for this. I thought about reinforcing it the traditional way, but I really don't want to waste any room, I have it worked out so the seat fits in there nice. Fractions of inch matter in this standard T.

That core mat site has very cheap products. I think I' ll try some for the floor.
Yea, I noticed that. I want to try it, that's why I thought about trying it on the back of the tub, even though I have enough biaxial left over from the floor and firewall to do it. It's not flimsy, I just have the rest of it very rigid, and don't like the flex, even though it will not really matter for any specific reason.

I get the whole saving money and doing things yourself route because I enjoy fabricating, but as I get older and seem to have less time to spend fixing the things I buy to make them work properly it seems pointless. I try to buy the best that I can afford and work from there, be it a tool, shoes or a computer. Think of buying a shovel without a handle and spending the effort to build a handle instead of just buying the one with the best handle you can afford. No one will really care that you built the handle when you're out using the shovel.
If your not building the body why would one think that building the floor is doing it yourself, I look back on the days when we built our floor as a separate piece and glassed it in and it seems silly just as it would if it did not come with a dash or had a big opening where the firewall should be.
I can see doing things yourself to make it the way you want it but not just for the sake of saying you did it

I get the whole saving money and doing things yourself route because I enjoy fabricating, but as I get older and seem to have less time to spend fixing the things I buy to make them work properly it seems pointless. I try to buy the best that I can afford and work from there, be it a tool, shoes or a computer. Think of buying a shovel without a handle and spending the effort to build a handle instead of just buying the one with the best handle you can afford. No one will really care that you built the handle when you're out using the shovel. If your not building the body why would one think that building the floor is doing it yourself, I look back on the days when we built our floor as a separate piece and glassed it in and it seems silly just as it would if it did not come with a dash or had a big opening where the firewall should be. I can see doing things yourself to make it the way you want it but not just for the sake of saying you did it

Ok, this is my second reply because the first one vanished.... If it shows up later, don't ask me what happened. I didn't set out to.build or buy a t bucket. I bought my t bucket because it is old school (to me) and reminds me of better days based on the parts it was built from. I have always done things myself. It has very little to do with money now, it's about the craft. I also don't want to have one like every or any one else's. Mine is different because it's mine, I done it. I built my floor, my firewall, my dash, my everything to fit my particular car my way, it's not a store bought generic bolt on production kit. Could I have bought a kit? sure. There will not be one just like it anywhere and that's the way I want it. I didnt do it to be in any competition and frankly dont care what anyone else likes or appreciates. Maybe I want a custom shovel handle to fit my hands, lol! If I wanted a production car, or shovel, I'd buy a mustang.... Or another back hoe, No offense, it's just how I am. Why buy any parts and assemble a car when you can buy a car? It's a craft, a hobby, you can argue that one is better than the other, but that's objective. I could have bought cheaper, more expensive, better, worse, whatever, but I am going through a lot of trouble to use as much of the old school car as I can because that's what I want. Silly or not, I really don't care. This isn't a business venture or an investment, per se. I also didnt set out io imitate, or copy anyone else's ideas or themes. I built it to suit me, best I can with what I have. I am sure there are similarities to others, there are only so many ways to do it, but it all has my flair to it. I also think it takes as much talent to customize and adapt to existing or even production cars, parts, etc as it does to build from scratch, moreso in many circumstances. In all fairness to Resinator, if I were setting out to build a Tbucket from scratch, I totally understand your perspective, and would definitely do things different. That's just not what I am doing or why I am doing it. Why does it matter anyways?

Ok, this is my second reply because the first one vanished.... If it shows up later, don't ask me what happened. I didn't set out to.build or buy a t bucket. I bought my t bucket because it is old school (to me) and reminds me of better days based on the parts it was built from. I have always done things myself. It has very little to do with money now, it's about the craft. I also don't want to have one like every or any one else's. Mine is different because it's mine, I done it. I built my floor, my firewall, my dash, my everything to fit my particular car my way, it's not a store bought generic bolt on production kit. Could I have bought a kit? sure. There will not be one just like it anywhere and that's the way I want it. I didnt do it to be in any competition and frankly dont care what anyone else likes or appreciates. Maybe I want a custom shovel handle to fit my hands, lol! If I wanted a production car, or shovel, I'd buy a mustang.... Or another back hoe, No offense, it's just how I am. Why buy any parts and assemble a car when you can buy a car? It's a craft, a hobby, you can argue that one is better than the other, but that's objective. I could have bought cheaper, more expensive, better, worse, whatever, but I am going through a lot of trouble to use as much of the old school car as I can because that's what I want. Silly or not, I really don't care. This isn't a business venture or an investment, per se. I also didnt set out io imitate, or copy anyone else's ideas or themes. I built it to suit me, best I can with what I have. I am sure there are similarities to others, there are only so many ways to do it, but it all has my flair to it. I also think it takes as much talent to customize and adapt to existing or even production cars, parts, etc as it does to build from scratch, moreso in many circumstances. In all fairness to Resinator, if I were setting out to build a Tbucket from scratch, I totally understand your perspective, and would definitely do things different. That's just not what I am doing or why I am doing it. Why does it matter anyways?
I just re read this entire thread to figure out how I even got involved in it. I didn't intend to inject myself into it, I was simply following along and commenting. I apologize if I allowed someone's comments to entice me to feel insulted to the point of explaining or defending anything. I dont judge or criticize others whether I agree with them or not, or try not to. Just a knee jerk reaction. Jerry, I like your products and think they are top notch!

My comments were not meant to insult, entice or criticize but to help others. The concept is that you sort of inferred that someone not doing something themselves or by buying something is a less than good thing. Not everyone can, or are willing to buy the best of what is available. If I am a woodworker or want to learn how to build that perfect handle I certainly would, but the time spent doing so may push the planting of the trees back a bit.
The problems most guys building these cars are facing is time or money, most people do not have both, so these common themes that come up for the first time builders in these posts may be happening because of lack of direction. How many people bail out of these projects because of multiple stumbling blocks that are petty? buy a bracket from one guy and a bar from another to find all the holes need re-drilled, or that they don't even have the right hole for the bars guy one sells. Times that by 50 different things you're going to face in building the car to completion and it becomes frustrating. We look at this from a different angle because of what an hour costs a customer from a builders standpoint. If we need to re-drill that bracket or re-bend that bar the customer will be paying for that and from our side that sucks for the customer because he could have used that money or time to get something else further along.
And thanks for the complement, we try very hard to make things work right for our customers specifically because of the reasons stated above. these customers become like friends to us and we try to help as much as possible to get them on the road having fun

My comments were not meant to insult, entice or criticize but to help others. The concept is that you sort of inferred that someone not doing something themselves or by buying something is a less than good thing. Not everyone can, or are willing to buy the best of what is available. If I am a woodworker or want to learn how to build that perfect handle I certainly would, but the time spent doing so may push the planting of the trees back a bit.
The problems most guys building these cars are facing is time or money, most people do not have both, so these common themes that come up for the first time builders in these posts may be happening because of lack of direction. How many people bail out of these projects because of multiple stumbling blocks that are petty? buy a bracket from one guy and a bar from another to find all the holes need re-drilled, or that they don't even have the right hole for the bars guy one sells. Times that by 50 different things you're going to face in building the car to completion and it becomes frustrating. We look at this from a different angle because of what an hour costs a customer from a builders standpoint. If we need to re-drill that bracket or re-bend that bar the customer will be paying for that and from our side that sucks for the customer because he could have used that money or time to get something else further along.
And thanks for the complement, we try very hard to make things work right for our customers specifically because of the reasons stated above. these customers become like friends to us and we try to help as much as possible to get them on the road having fun
My comment was in response to another's comment that was critical of guys like me who do as much as we do when we could just buy one. I won't name anyone, it's in the post if it's important to anyone. I suppose my reply rubbed you wrong for similar reasons that his rubbed me wrong, I have spent a lifetime doing and learning, aquiring tools, etc, and it is an expression of my self. I live in a 150 year old farm house that I personally remodeled inside, out using as much of the original wood, trim, etc as possible with a bank barn built from oak and chestnut that I also rebuilt from the ground up. I moved out of a new custom home that I also built. I done it because I liked it, there aren't many if any like it, and the transition is an expression of me. It was more time, work and money than it would have been to buy or build a new one, that's just not what I wanted. Similar situation here. I should not have reacted, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all know what they are like... No biggie. We all do things different for different reasons. The last thing I want or have time for is a childish pissing contest over a pass time discussion. No ill intent on my part. I'm over it, hope you are too. Funny that you and I are the ones discussing it.

I'm building as much as I can to get exactly what I want. I have had 2 buckets I bought and never liked them. My car will be like no other (similar to my avatar only better) because I know more. The other car was built never having seen a real t. The Internet, this site, and time are good teachers.

In my club "Memories in Motion" Out of 50 members only one built their car. ME and it has every detail I WANTED. Yes Spirit and CCR and Ron build great stuff. But this is what I enjoy. I appreciate ALL buckets bought OR built. Could I have built it cheaper? Hell yes. Or bought a "delux" kit.

Some guys have pride in doing things themselves,. Anyone can buy one. No offense.

None taken. I do what I can, when I'm able. I HATE messing with fiberglass. PERIOD. As I've stated, I see guys working with fiberglass and I do shake my head. Because me personally, I hate it. So, having to pay for a body with the floor installed is something I'm willing to do. That's it. I'm not sure how this topic got blown out of proportion. I'm a DIYer... when I can, when I'm able and when it makes sense to ME.

Just a bit off topic......... CONGRATS to Alexander Rossi, an under dog in the 100th Indy 500, a rookie and a kid from California! USA! USA! USA! Hell, it's about time.

Reactions: RPM
Since I posted about participation, in another thread, I'll try to bring this one back. And, please, no more drama.

The reason I wanted to know the location of the brake bracket is because I'm marking my frame VERY carefully for the attachment of ALL my brackets. When I go to weld it together, I won't have a body, so these measurements are CRITICAL. If you were to look at my chassis, in person, you'd see a shit load of permanent marker lines and notes. I have figures denoting bracket placement in reference to other measurements and so on.

I'm lucky that I have a huge shop to work in, but it's a business and it's not mine. So, having a rolling chassis that's easy to move about is critical. My land lord is tolerant and hasn't blinked an eye or had an ill comment, but that doesn't matter. I'm not the type to put anyone out, so I do not like my chassis being in his way. There are times, when he's waited for me to show up, so I could move my stuff, in order for him to work on a PAYING customers car. When my chassis is mobile, he'll be able to do that.

So, since my frame is from Ron and I'l be using CCR's stretch body, I'm sorta reverse engineering it. In that all my measurements are from the kick up forward. The only one that isn't is the one for the motor mounts. I have CCR's plans, which have helped a LOT. So, as of now, other than the exact placement of the transmission cross member, I have all the correct placements for the other brackets. My trip to PaulB's home, to measure his CCR build, not only confirmed some of my early numbers, but gave me measurements and placement for other parts.

Now, when I get Ron's rear suspension kit, I'll measure radius rod placement. When I have all the measurements and the frame is marked, I'll take everything to a friends house and weld it up. Now, he's a great friend, BUT he works out of his home garage and uses his welder EVERY day. So, when I go over, he's going to stop work and let me go at it. Therefore, I won't have the luxury of "playing by ear" or taking up time trying to figure things out. It's going to be a one shot deal.

Will this work? YES. I've measured a hell of a lot more times than "twice". I check my measurements and reference my notes, EVERY day. This is metal and the numbers won't change, but they have to be right.

Last edited:
Damn 10 minute time limit!:mad: I just wanted to add, my reference point for ALL my measurements is the base of the kick up.

Will you have access to that welder down the road also? if so, the best advice I can give you is to tack things in place real good this trip, finish the assembly as you get parts and once done, tear it down for finish welding and paint
Are there any dimensions you still need from me?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back