Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake lines and fittings

Youngn

I was wondering what evryone does for brake lines and fittings. I don't want to buy each fitting seperately and wanted to know if ther were any kits available that had the brake line and fittings together to plumb the brake system.

Total Performance make line kits for there frames.but you car could be different length and width.There kits work great and almost fall right into place with every fitting you need including the brake light switch.The only thing you need to do is double flare one end of each rear different line.mainly because of the use of different rear diffs and disc or drum rear brakes.
I have one of these setups right now for our current car if you would like measurements let me know,there site may say also

Speedway sell a kit with pipe & loads of fittings but not sure if you got a mixture of brake parts whether you get all the ones you need. You still have to cut the pipe and flare the ends.

i ordered most of mine from speedway.i have gm calipers up front and drums in back.i ordered speedways stainless dot legal flex lines for the front calipers,a 25' roll of 3/16 hard line,counted and ordered enough 3/8 inverted flare fittings 10 i think,and the rest came from auto zone and oreileys.i used a 75 nova master and got the fittings to adapt it to 3/8 inverted flares at autozone,and also the rear rubber hose was a replacement part from auto zone for the camaro rear i used.had to go to oreileys for the adapters since autozone didn't have them.i used a cheap double flare tool i got from a discount tool outlet and bent the lines by hand.oh and i also ordered a T for the front and some 3/16 line clamps to mount the line to the frame from speedway.my brakes work good but i was considering a proportioning valve for the front lines.it had a tendancy to push the front around a little and had to push the pedal pretty hard to get the rear brakes to hold the wheels i set the idle down on the carb a bit and this seems to have solved that problem.

If you're trying to avoid doing flares (and I can understand why you would... what a PITA!), NAPA and probably other parts houses sell various lengths of hard line with fittings pre-installed. You may have to add some extra jogs in some lines to get them to fit, but most of the hard lines will be out of sight anyway.

Lee_in_KC said:
If you're trying to avoid doing flares (and I can understand why you would... what a PITA!), NAPA and probably other parts houses sell various lengths of hard line with fittings pre-installed. You may have to add some extra jogs in some lines to get them to fit, but most of the hard lines will be out of sight anyway.

This is how I have done mine.

Double Flairs ain't bad to do with a little practice, after you screw up ABOUT 100 TIMES. :lol:

I would do 6 or 7 practice flairs. You will see they really are not that bad to do. I had to do bubble flairs once, had me running into the wall head-on. :lol:

I used AN fittings Chrome and there is no double flairing to do just cut the tube bend it and then slide the nut on and a ferrell on and single flair it at 37 degrees and your done.AN-3 is 3/16

Hey Rick, are your AN fittings steel or aluminum? I was warned not to use aluminum fittings on brake lines... supposedly they can't handle the pressure.

Steel and yes dont use alluminum or you be in a heep of trouble

Youngn said:
it sounds lke i should buy more then i need to practice first before i make a piece two short.:eek:
i ordered a 25' roll and had some left over but i did have some waste trying to get the flares right.what worked best for me was to mount the flare tool in the bench vise so i could make sure the ends of the tubing was nice and square then i debured the ends realy well and took small strips of 150 grit sand paper to champher the edges and that seemed to work realy well.

Make the longer lines first. That way if you screw one up, you can use it for a shorter line.

If your using SS lines a single flare will work. Use WD-40 when making your flares. Don't be afraid of doing flares, not hard to do. It's one of those things like sharpening drill bits, practice, practice, practice.

If you master cylinder is lower than your wheel cylinders, use a 2 psi residual valve for disc brakes and a 10spi for drums. This will keep the brake fluid from draining back into the master from the wheel cylinders.

Ron

Youngster said:
Make the longer lines first. That way if you screw one up, you can use it for a shorter line.

If your using SS lines a single flare will work. Use WD-40 when making your flares. Don't be afraid of doing flares, not hard to do. It's one of those things like sharpening drill bits, practice, practice, practice.

If you master cylinder is lower than your wheel cylinders, use a 2 psi residual valve for disc brakes and a 10spi for drums. This will keep the brake fluid from draining back into the master from the wheel cylinders.

Ron

One thing i found out with Totals frame and master cyl using the wilwood single piston i think they are 175s is that if you use a residual valve on the front they will NOT release and they will drag.I took mine out and have no problems now.The reason is there is no return spring in the calipers its design is for preasure release to retract the pucks enough to relieve preasure on them.(As told to me by Brian at TP)

Ahhhhhh........nice to know. I will remember that. I would run one on a GM set up though.

Ron

As I understand it there isn't enough volume to merit the RPV. Maybe someone else can help out here.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back