Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Break In

Johnny

Okay, all you engine experts. Not ready yet, but getting closer. New crate 350 Chevy will be used. I have read that when ya first start up, run at 2000 for 20 min. to break in cam. Right or wrong? Do I need to run any type of special break in oil? Do I need to drain that break in oil after the first 20 min. run?

Maybe some dumb questions here, not sure, but I know you all will give me the straight scoop.

Thanks

If it is a stock type motor I don't think it is necessary. I'd bet a $ to a donut that the factorys don't do anything at all. If it has a big flat tappet with lots of spring pressure then yes it needs to be broke in. If it is a roller cam then no break in needed.

Which crate motor is it? If its the 10067353 or the GM performance version of that engine then your should do the normal brake in with the higher zinc or the additive. Then drain and refill with your favorite oil choice.
If its the higher end ones with the roller cams then you don't have to do anything.
There should have been a printout stuck in with the other paperwork.. if not here is a copy of what I got.

Recommended Crate Engine Start-Up Procedure
1. SAFETY FIRST! If the car is on the ground, be sure the emergency brake is set, the wheels are chocked, and the transmission cannot fall into gear.

2. Be sure to check the oil level in the engine and prime the oil system with an engine priming tool! This is the most important step! Your crate engine has most likely sat for a while and most of it's lubrication has drained back to the pan!

3. Quality 10W-30 or 10W-40 Oil is recommended for GM's Performance Crate Engines. Most Stock Factory replacement engines use either 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil. If you plan on running synthetic oils, we recommend that a new engine is first broken in with regular mineral type engine oil.

4. Adjust the distributor timing roughly by hand for quick start up and smoothest idle possible.

5. Set the ignition timing after engine starts.- Starting point for most carbureted crate engines is 10 degrees Before top dead center with vacuum advance disconnected. Computer controlled engines with a distributor are generally set at 0 degrees before top dead center with the set timing connector disconnected (refer to your vehicles service manual for details)

6. Flat tappet hydraulic cams only- (Such as the 250 hp-350, 290hp-350 & 330hp-350 Run the engine between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM's, with no-load on the engine for the first 30 minutes. This is critical to break in the camshaft.

7. Roller Cammed engines (such as the ZZ4, F.B. 385, 383's and big blocks) do not need to follow the procedure in step 6 because roller cams do not need to be broken in.

8. Remember that the cooling system on a fresh engine swap will have a lot of trapped air, which will lead to wild temperature gauge readings and possible water pump cavitation (water pump not moving coolant due to trapped air) To help avoid trapped air in the cooling system, try to fill the cooling system up with a 50/50 mix of quality coolant and water a few hours before you plan on starting the engine. Leave the radiator cap off during this time. This will tend to help purge a fair amount of trapped air before you start the engine. Specialty fill funnels can also be purchased from Listle tools and Snap-On dealers that help alleviate this problem. Also helpful during break-in is to use a Lever-Vent type radiator cap on your radiator in so that you can manually purge trapped air while engine is running- (use extreme caution to avoid being burned by hot coolant) Your normal cap can then be re-installed after engine cools off.

9. Drive the vehicle with varying speeds and loads on the engine for the first 30 miles. Be sure not to use a lot of throttle or high RPM.

The following 2 steps generally are not necessary due to our advanced piston ring sealing technology, but can be performed to help ring break in.

10. Run five or six medium-throttle accelerations to about 3000 RPM (40 to 50 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

11. Run a couple hard throttle accelerations up to about 5000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

12. Let engine cool and change the oil and filter and check coolant level, top off if necessary.

13. Drive the next 500 miles normally, without high RPM's (below 5000 RPM), hard use, or extended periods of high loading.

14. Change the oil and oil filter again.- Keep an eye on oil level during the first thousand or so miles.

15. Your engine is now ready for many happy cruising miles!

Ya im sure RPM is dead on about what the factory does.. And I know most people don't really do a cam brake in and never have issues. But as much as these things cost I don't take any chances... i know my luck sucks :jh:

Yes, if non roller, do a break in with a good break in oil ( comp cams, etc.). Very the rpm. don't just let it set and run at a fixed rpm. I have seen issues with wiping out cam lobes with off the shelf oils on flat tappet cams without a good break in run. If you have a roller, then you are good to go, light in the beginning of course, yeah right. Enjoy!

It doesn't matter what kind of cam you stock or perf. You still have to run it for 20 mins at 2000, because your lobes only get oiled by the oil from the crank same way your wrist pins get lube. Even on a roller cam you need to run it up for a few minutes to break in your cam gear and your fuel pump rod. Use a zinc based break in lube and after break in, drain it and add fresh oil.

It doesn't matter what kind of cam you stock or perf. You still have to run it for 20 mins at 2000, because your lobes only get oiled by the oil from the crank same way your wrist pins get lube. Even on a roller cam you need to run it up for a few minutes to break in your cam gear and your fuel pump rod. Use a zinc based break in lube and after break in, drain it and add fresh oil.

Do you think the factory does that with every new car or truck that rolls off the assembly line?

Do you think the factory does that with every new car or truck that rolls off the assembly line?

Ron is right, factory never broke in flat tappet cams, there is probably a good reason why Chevrolet kept the valve lifts around .450 and lower and spring pressures light, so there is no breakin requirements or issues of eating a lobe. I would, however purchase compcams special oil with zinc for any engine with flat tappets.

I would recommend you prime the oiling system before start-up. Run the drill motor until you see oil at the rockers. Remember to roll the motor over 90°, every few minutes, to make sure everything is seeing oil. Depending on lifter oiling orifice location, valve lift and modifications made to the oiling system, it can take well over 10 minutes for everything to see oil. As soon as everything is seeing oil, install the distributor, light it off and go. Have a timing light hooked up, so you can verify timing, straight away,

I agree with Ron, the factories don't follow so rigid a break-in as most people (including all cam manufacturers) recommend. However Government Motors pays (albeit poorly) their dealerships to do warranty repairs on their hose-ups, whereas your only warranty will be you.

I prefer to err on the side of caution and I do recommend a break-in process. For the 20 - 30 minutes it will take, it can possibly add tens of thousands of miles to your engine's service life. And trust me, if anyone sees a scrubbed lifter lobe, any hope you had for warranty on parts replacement will fly directly out the nearest window.

I would recommend you prime the oiling system before start-up. Run the drill motor until you see oil at the rockers. Remember to roll the motor over 90°, every few minutes, to make sure everything is seeing oil. Depending on lifter oiling orifice location, valve lift and modifications made to the oiling system, it can take well over 10 minutes for everything to see oil. As soon as everything is seeing oil, install the distributor, light it off and go. Have a timing light hooked up, so you can verify timing, straight away,

I agree with Ron, the factories don't follow so rigid a break-in as most people (including all cam manufacturers) recommend. However Government Motors pays (albeit poorly) their dealerships to do warranty repairs on their hose-ups, whereas your only warranty will be you.

I prefer to err on the side of caution and I do recommend a break-in process. For the 20 - 30 minutes it will take, it can possibly add tens of thousands of miles to your engine's service life. And trust me, if anyone sees a scrubbed lifter lobe, any hope you had for warranty on parts replacement will fly directly out the nearest window.

TID BIT: About 30 years ago, I took an old distributor apart(I run Chev Smallblocks) and stripped the shaft out of it. So all I need to do is put it in a drill motor, and prime away, until the drill motor bogs then turn the engine crank 90 degrees and do it again and so on to you get one revolution in. Hint, if your drill motor doesnt start to bog, you need to reverse the drill motor(prime in the direction of rotor travel)

I think Harbor Fright sells an engine pre-oiler thingie or you can find'em on eBay. I think Mike's comment about using the distributor housing makes sense as I don't know if the pre-oiler thngies seal the gallery.

Well....all the guys have given you the best advice out there. When you install a cam, use a good break-in lube, and don't be kinda, put alot on the lobes and lifters! Theres a surface hardening on the cast cams, the face of the lobe is actually on a very slight angle, and the lifter bottom has a slight radius to it.
When you start the motor up, what you're doing is actually spinning that lifter and seating it into that lobe. I use the good white motor assembly lube....or lubriplate, and i cover things good. Even on the roller lifters.....break them in with it, and they'll be with you thru a lot of cam changes.
I went thru the Chevy Facility for the performance motors a few years back, for a tour, they crank them up, set timing, run them a little.....that puppy is covered by all kinds of computer sensors, make sure it has oil pressure, but they actually run them for a couple of minutes....
Everyone needs a good priming tool. Old distributors are the best, yank out all the guts, take the cam gear off or what I do is grind all the teeth off the cam gear +.125,.....that way your not gonna hit the cam gear in the motor when oiling. I also cut the housing off just below where the dist. cap fastens down. (Take the shaft out first!) Take all the excess off the top of the dist. shaft also.
I have one for every motor I work on.....and like Mike, and Ron, spin it till you get oil thru the pushrods.
You gotta be careful though, theres lifters made to restrict pushrod oil flow.....so you'll be looking......you'll see only a little.....and think something is wrong. With roller rockers, you only need a minimum for the rockers....but need some on the valve guides too and guideplates if you have them.
The old motors used to fill the butt end of the valvecovers full of oil (that could've been used at your crank).....causing the rear 2 cylinders to smoke bad if you had a good bit of guide wear. With the min. of oil in the topend, you don't get that big puff of smoke when you first fire the motor, since you don't have a ton of oil up there.....unless your umbrella shields are totally worn out

Been off to CackleFest.....hee-hee, or something like that over around Pomona....ya know.....that ole hotrod stompin' grounds over there in Ca.....had a Blast! Good to be back....

And for the Newbies out there.....you can't run a roller lifter with a standard cam! You'll mess both the cam and lifters up! Most roller cams have a small base circle because of the extra distance the roller adds under there.....

Believe it or not, I've seen this done! Oh whatta mess!

What part of Oklahoma are you located?
I'm so far out in the sticks I have a RR! Ha! Some of the truckers coming out here are like.....'Theres nothing out there!' I'm about 1/2 way between McAlester and Ada, then 35 miles south on #1......then I'm 20 miles over hill and over dale, out here on 200+ acres....Put it like this, coyotes run thru my front yard, and some of the guys have seen big cat tracks around the shop. Theres even some bear out here somewhere......10 miles off the nearest paved road!

Hey, you probably do have some pretty good hills and dales over there. I grew up in Crescent, Okla. Real flat part of the state.

Have ya ever spotted Big Foot over in your part of the state?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back