Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Buddy is vacationing in Florida. Help and advise needed

Gerry

A Bud of mine is going to the central Florida and the USA for the first time with his wife and 2 sons of 30ish. He was looking at a house in Mulberry which is about as far from both coasts as anywhere and where it seems, the hilight of the day is watching the traffic lights change . He is into drag racing and Muscle cars but his wife is not a car nut.

I have covered Daytona and Kissimmee, so what would you guys suggest for a place to rent for 3 weeks for them. Suggestions of where to stay would be a great help.

Thanks for any suggestions and insights.
Gerry

My sister lives in Lakeland, about midway between Tampa/St Pete and Orlando. Nice medium sized town with lots of amenities, and - I would think -available rental properties.
City of Lakeland | Home

There should be plenty of rentals this time of year, the snow birds have went home. We rented a condo on the beach in Daytona one year, it was nice, lots of activities, but it was the Daytona 500.... too much traffic for my taste, I liked the beach and the pool.

check out www.vrbo.com. We use this site many times for family vacations. Anytime we go anywhere we check this site first.

I have passed this link on. Normally I would be very suspicious of links but as we have known each other for a few years its not a problem. Thank you.

Thanks guys for the info, it has helped. Any more advice is always welcome.
Gerry

I live in Oviedo, Fl. It is located on the northeast side of Orlando close to ALL the attractions and several beaches. I've tried to attach a link but to no avail. However, if you type in "Vacation rentals in Oviedo, Florida" I think that you'll find some helpful info.

Jim
I might also add that we are about equidistant from two airports, Sanford International and Orlando International which is the 11th busiest airport in the country. Disney World, Epicot and Sea World are some of the major attractions along with Daytona International Speedway which are all within a 50 mile radius. There is also Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Coco Beach, home of Ron Jon Surf Shop, all within the same radius.

Last edited:
Great minds think alike. I have cover everything you mention with him already.

One time on business in Orlando, there was a scheduled Shuttle Launch. A great friend of mine from the Ca branch wanted to go see it early the next morning. We sat in the bar until around 1 am and left in his hire car to hit the coast.
On arrival we dropped in to Ros Johns and I bought him a model of the shuttle.The launch, which we watched from a small Que abut 11 miles away from the pad was one of the most impressive things I have seen. Clear sky as well; easy to see the booster detach and spiral down.

WE got back to the hotel on International just in time for breakfast and a full days work. Ah those were the days, as they say.

Years later he met one of the crew of that shuttle and got the model signed...

Thanks for the info, its appreciated.
Gerry

Hi Gerry,
I agree with Ron's suggestion of looking at www.vrbo.com. I have used it many times when traveling to Florida. I have often found 3 bedroom condos for the price of a hotel room. They also have many listings for houses as well. There is usually a fee charged for cleaning the place after you are done, but if you stay for a few days or longer it is still a good deal.
Bill

Well thats a good suggestion. Just had a message from my bud and guess what... he has used that exact site (thanks to you guys suggestion)to find a much better place nearer the action. https://www.vrbo.com/389618.
If anyone would be willing to have a meet with him and his family and gives some pointers when he is there, let me know. Solid guys, no problems.

I appreciate your help and owe you a beer if you get to the UK..
Thanks
Gerry

Gerry,
If your friend ends up staying in Kissimmee, I would recommend visiting Don Garlits drag racing museum. I have been a couple of different times and always enjoyed it. There are a few hundred cars and there are two different buildings. Lots of race cars and one building is antique cars. It’s about 1 ½ hrs. north/west and is well worth the drive. http://garlits.com/
Bill

Gerry,
If your friend ends up staying in Kissimmee, I would recommend visiting Don Garlits drag racing museum. I have been a couple of different times and always enjoyed it. There are a few hundred cars and there are two different buildings. Lots of race cars and one building is antique cars. It’s about 1 ½ hrs. north/west and is well worth the drive. http://garlits.com/
Bill
From Kissimmee he can hook up to the Florida Turnpike to I75 to Ocala. Don's Museum is right off the I75 exit in Ocala. We had a large cruise there with our T's last year and he really enjoyed our visit. As a matter of fact, when we were gathering to leave he brought out his cool T. A really great guy!

Jim

Gerry,
Bill
Awesome place for gear heads.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back