Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Build your own body??

rawley2

I just have to ask. Have any of you ever built your own body?

I'm sort of thinking that way because I'm 6'3" tall and I know building it myself it will fit me plus I would have no problem making working doors on both sides and what ever else I wanted.

I guess I should also say I have laid up more fiberglass than is legal when I was younger working at the boat companies. Then I worked as a machinist for 10 years before starting my own business in 2002.

So I know fiberglass and precision. I do think I would have no problem building it.

More than likely I could build a frame from one of the plans and modify it to work with my body. Or just build a custom frame.....

Just wondering if anyone else has before?

At least one of the guys on here has stretched a body before (I think it's RPM Ron), you should be able to do that real easy. Figure that would be a whole lot easier than starting one from scratch.

I agree that it would be easier (and cheaper) to start with someone elses body and modify it to suit you. Resin, cloth and all the related items are getting expensive (tied into the petroleum industry) so you would have more in it than if you started with someones body first.

But if you feel this is something you would enjoy doing.................. :D:)

Don

My body is stretched but it was the mold. The mold had a stretch built into it. We made the body 6" wider after it came out of the mold though.

I did make 2 big doors in it after all of that.

P1010010.jpg

Ex-Junk built his own mold and body, He's the guy in the know...

Well I would have to argue the cheaper part.. after adding shipping to a body... There really is not that much glass in them. Plus I could use core construction and get a more solid body.

As far as easy.. Yes no doubt getting one from the kit guys would be best. Plus theirs are allready proven.

Guess I should do some work today instead of posting on the forum and think about it. LOL

rawley2 said:
Well I would have to argue the cheaper part.. after adding shipping to a body... There really is not that much glass in them. Plus I could use core construction and get a more solid body.

As far as easy.. Yes no doubt getting one from the kit guys would be best. Plus theirs are already proven.

Guess I should do some work today instead of posting on the forum and think about it. LOL

I think this is simple... If you have the time and skills to build a body from scratch that is better, stronger, with two operational doors, and larger to accommodate you, then really... what is the question? :eek:

Document it and post lots of pics so we can all learn, you'd probably end up making a couple of more if it came out nice! :)

rawley2 said:
RPM,

Did you build your own mold? If not what body did you start with?

That body came from Norwoods Glass in Sevierville,TN. They don't have the mold anymore, they sold it to a guy in California. Buy the way Norwoods 15 year old daughter made that body for me. Childs play I guess when ya know what you are doing.:)

Just buy the cheapest body you can (E-Bay ?) and start cutting and glassing away. You can make it anyway you want. Hey It's fiberglass.

I'm going to make mine deeper and longer to get down in it. If I can get the picture thing figured out, I post progress pics.

I Built My Body From 3 Shets Of Sheet Metal And A Couple Of Car Roofs.
I Always Wanted To Build A Body.
Sheet Metal Is Easier For Me To Work Than Glass.
Jim

38mag said:
I Built My Body From 3 Shets Of Sheet Metal And A Couple Of Car Roofs.
I Always Wanted To Build A Body.
Sheet Metal Is Easier For Me To Work Than Glass.
Jim

Nice work. :cool:

EX JUNK said:
If you click on my journal you will see some of what went into building my body. Here is the link:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=33992&page=1&reverse=1

Very nice! I want to build a car with a turtledeck style body, or something similar to it, except that it will be all wood, and with doors. I have been building/restoring wood boats since the mid 80s, and have recently gotten into wood car restorations. I am currently finishing a 47 Ford sportsman. I am going to have to sneak it in between paying projects and have just started the research, but I am looking forward to the project.

Martin said:
...I want to build a car with a turtledeck style body, or something similar to it, except that it will be all wood, and with doors...

Martin!

First off, welcome to the forum and I hope you take a little time in the introduction forum to tell us a little about yourself...

I can tell you one thing for sure... we love projects, love to talk about the projects, and especially love to see the projects as they evolve... an all wood body? oh yea... we'd want to see LOTS of pictures!

:rofl:

Fiberglass is an easy medium to work with. The thing I like about it is the fact that your only limitations are your imagination.

On the other hand, steel bodies are fun to do to. I turned a '29 tudor into a roadster pickup. I know it's not a scratch build but it felt like it at the time. Every pannel had to be modified to look right. Because of the differences between the 2 body styles, there is a lot of problem solving involved. Must have done something right 'cause most people think it's a genny r/p.

Great job on yours 38mag. I like the '56 Chevy p/u guage cluster. Detroit has produced just about every sort of pannel you can think of. All it takes is the imagination to find the one you have a use for. On my '30's dirt racer I used the top rear corners of a '29 tudor in making the radiator shell. The rear of the body is made from the front fenders off a '47 Chevy with 4 fender extensions for the tail. Realy a fun project.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back