Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Building your own frame

ChestersAlive

There are a lot of good frame plans out there. The frame is the backbone of your roadster, everything directly or indirectly attaches to it. It is NOT a place to learn how to weld. It should be built by a competent, professsional welder who knows what rod to use, heat range, weld penetration etc. Learn on the brackets etc.It should be built in a jig or possibly on a perfect flat floor.You're better off buying a pre-assembled frame from a well-known company and be safe. Anyone can grind off the chickens--t and make it look good but how good is their penetration? Did they use the right rod or something they found in a yard sale? 80 MPH on a freeway between two semis is no place to find out the man who built your frame is a shoe-salesman who welds in his garage with a $100 mig-welder at night for a little extra money.
In buying a frame ask the company if they use 1 1/2" X 3" tubing or 2" X 3" tubing. Look close at the roadsters you see in a meet and decide which you'd rather have. A 1 1/2"er gives my the willys just to look at it. ChestersAlive

Good advice Chester. I got a lot of good tips from your book.

I just downloaded the book and looked a little at it. Lots of good information in it to compliment all the great advice here on this board. No such thing as too much advice!

There are a lot of good frame plans out there. The frame is the backbone of your roadster, everything directly or indirectly attaches to it. It is NOT a place to learn how to weld. It should be built by a competent, professsional welder who knows what rod to use, heat range, weld penetration etc. Learn on the brackets etc.It should be built in a jig or possibly on a perfect flat floor.You're better off buying a pre-assembled frame from a well-known company and be safe. Anyone can grind off the chickens--t and make it look good but how good is their penetration? Did they use the right rod or something they found in a yard sale? 80 MPH on a freeway between two semis is no place to find out the man who built your frame is a shoe-salesman who welds in his garage with a $100 mig-welder at night for a little extra money.
In buying a frame ask the company if they use 1 1/2" X 3" tubing or 2" X 3" tubing. Look close at the roadsters you see in a meet and decide which you'd rather have. A 1 1/2"er gives my the willys just to look at it. ChestersAlive

You got that exactly right. Great advice!

Oh and welcome to the site. :hooray:

Welding used tie rod ends into water or gas pipe gives me the willys to even think about it.

Thanks Chester, and welcome. Where you at in Texas?

I downloaded the free chapter today when I was home for lunch. I just skimmed thru it, but from what I saw, I think you guys that are building your first car should consider the $10 and get it. I am going to buy it just out of curiousity.

Welcome aboard Mr. C- anybody who wants to build, buy, or dream of a T Bucket should have your book. It is by far the best printed word on our drivers and dreams.

Welding used tie rod ends into water or gas pipe gives me the willys to even think about it.

:hooray: me too!!!:sofnny:

I have a copy of Chester's original book. It has some good information, but is a bit out of date IMO. Some of the techniques are questionable, but there is also some neat low-buck ideas. If you're a first-time builder, its probably worth the bucks to have some more info, but like all "plans" make sure to look at all aspects with a critical eye; it'll be your :butt: in the seat!

I just purchased and downloaded Chester's book. There's a lot of great info in it that supplements some of the material I already have, and lots of stuff that in it that I don't have. And what can you really buy for 10 bucks these days?

If you find a set of "BIRD" frame plans they are the most simple ones I've seen BUT do need to be longer.

I think what is more important that whether a frame is made of 1-1/2" by 3" or if it's made of 2" x 3" is the wall thickness. My Speedway was 1-1/2" x 3" x 11 gauge (.120). I had no problems and the frame seemed to be adequate but if I do it again the wall thickness will be 3/16". The weight penalty is minimal as is the cost. The comfort and self assurance from knowing you have a strong frame is immeasurable.

I am building mine from 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/4" wall using 2" schedule 80 pipe for the front crossmember (I like the round look of the pipe as a crossmember.) and I am also putting in a "K" member (1 1/2" x 3" x 11 gauge) for extra rigidity.

I bought Chesters book about two days ago and I like it alot!

2" SCH 80 pipe should NOT be used! Try 2" DOM x.125" wall thickness for the front cross member.

2" SCH 80 pipe will be just fine, as long as it it steel pipe and not iron. The OD on that is 2.38" with a wall of .22" so it is plenty strong enough for what you are doing.

We use 2.5" pipe in our frames it has an OD of 2.88" and a wall of .28" . We use it because it is just a tad smaller than the 3" rail tube and it seems to interlock good.

ChestersAlive It's an honor to be on the same thread as you. I have not been on the boards as much as I should be and did not know you were here untill just now. I just want to say you have done a lot for our hobby by encouraging people to believe they could build there own car and showing them how. I hope to meet you some day and would love to see you at one of the Spirit sponsored T events in Mountain Home AR. If your ever intrested in that trip let me know and we will see about covering some of the cost's. I know a lot of Bucketheads would love to meet you in person as would I.

ChestersAlive It's an honor to be on the same thread as you. I have not been on the boards as much as I should be and did not know you were here untill just now. I just want to say you have done a lot for our hobby by encouraging people to believe they could build there own car and showing them how. I hope to meet you some day and would love to see you at one of the Spirit sponsored T events in Mountain Home AR. If your ever intrested in that trip let me know and we will see about covering some of the cost's. I know a lot of Bucketheads would love to meet you in person as would I.

I had the privilege of meeting him, here in Florida, a couple of years ago.I had a very enjoyable time with him.

Jim

Ron they don't look at dates when they read I recond.......

Mike

LOL. I learned that Chester was some one that people wanted too meet . Looks like i need to do some research on other posts that he has been in .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back