Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Car Show Opinion

Old Rotor Flap

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Another thread prompted me to offer my opinion (Yes Paris, it's unsolicited) on car shows.

Back in the sixties we had our fuel car in a couple of local shows in paid booths for the speed shop we were associcated with.
Since those days when I was young and spry, I never gave much thought to the business of car shows. As I aged... and not very gracefully, I might add, I find that my attitude towards shows has hardened.

It seems a bit silly to me to have to pay to put a car in a show so the promotors can make money charging people to look at that car and others. For what? A chance for trophy?...... That and four bucks will get you a Starbucks. I suspect the awarding of trophies could be the subject of some speculation also.
Car show promotors should pay participants to display their cars. I suppose they do hire in some of the top cars, but they wouldn't get much of a crowd displaying three or four cars.

The last car show I went to was about three years ago and I went because I got free parking and entry passes. It was $10 to park and $15 to get in the show. I would never pay that much.
There was one Riddler car (I think) there and yup it was a great looking, but not for what I guessed it cost to have built. There were other cars there that were built by regular rodders that I thought better represented rodding. On the other hand.... she had warts.... oops, on the other hand there was a Model A coupe that looked like it had been done in the sixties - a rather plain Jane car with a for sale tag for $62,000.00. I thought, Are you f------ serious. Your head is up and locked. I considered that price tag an insult to most rodders.

Additionally there were a lot of harley choppers. Choppers, sure each one is different, but they all look the same.

The other rather obvious thing I noticed at this show was the fact the car display spaces were very large meaning they didn't have enough entries to fill the place. Maybe the tide is turning with fewer rodders willing to pay to show off their cars plus all the work involved in participating.

There were only one or two commercial vendors that were directly involved in promoting rodding. Most vendors and there weren't many, were selling flea market stuff. This may reflect the increase in the amount of business conducted on the web. I can't afford to drive a hundred miles to buy something and have to pay sales tax when I can get it delivered to my door for less using the inter-tube.

A few weeks back I went to a big swap meet in Denver, at that same facility. I found nothing there I couldn't buy on eBay for less even with shipping. When I lived in Wisconsin we'd go to the big car show and swap meet in Iola. I callled the swap meet the Rust Ranch.

During the summer there is a gathering and cruise of all kinds of rods, customs, sports and exotic car on the first Saturday of the month in Golden, Colorado. It's free and it's growing and you can do a Coors Brewery tour in the afternoon. This a a good way to get a couple of free beer and a good spot along the street for your lawn chair.

Well there you have it......... my drivel for today.

I used to think Car Shows were fun until I made a few crusies and then I was ruin't and don't like to set for 5 hours and smile at all the folks walking around running down cars...............I want to drive a T Bucket........That 25 bucks for entry fee will buy a gallon of gas.....LOL

Mike

Ya, but other than that how was the play Mr. Lincoln? :rolleyes:

I can't dissagree with what your saying however. it also rubs my fur the wrong way to have to pay to enter a car that I've spent years and $ to build, just so people come enjoy it for free. that's the main reason why I almost never enter shows. The Expo show we just had near here was free to enter (by approval only entry) and spectators were only charged $7.00 per, and free parking. well worth the price for folks and over $30,000 was raised to benifit childrens cancer programs. Shows CAN work for all concerned. it's just when people get greedy that things go whacky (which is all too often IMHO).

Russ

Russ, You hit the nail on the head very squarely with that post... It would be the same as charging boxers to box in a public ring, and all the people watch for free, they have this thing all backasswards as far as I see it... I park in the parking lot with my T and drive off when I want to leave, besides my daily T driver, is not what I call show material as far as show rules go... Just me here... :)

I live in independence Mo where we have at least two car shows every summer, and they are free to show and look some of the local car clubs come up with a trophy of some sort. There are usually some cars that I have seem in car mags, then there are cruise nights at different restaurants every weekend somewhere in the area. This is what the car hobby is all about imho.

I agree with everything said here so far, but the fact remains that there are costs involved with most events, which means money needs to be raised somewhere. The smallest event I have been involved in is our Annual Fun Run which usually draws between 30 and 40 cars. Nevertheless, we pay for liability insurance, event parking fees, support vehicle parking fees, photographer for pictures, T-shirts, trophy's and so on. Large shows will have even more costs such as catering insurance for food venders, separate insurance if they have say an air jump thingy for the kids, trash collection fees, advertising, music, depending on location possibly a police permit and fire dept. permit, maybe even police traffic control, and if you charge the general public to come and view the cars you could easily be open to number of new liability requirements. My point here is all this stuff costs money which has to come from either the viewing public, the show entrants, outside donations, the treasury of the host club or from some combination of those factions. It's either that or hold something impromptu in a parking lot and skip all the insurance, etc. Some might feel comfortable doing that and I'm sure it happens. I'm not trying to justify charging any one group or another, but the arithmetic speaks for itself. These events cost money and my hat's off to those who can raise enough through donations or some other outside source to be able to provide all a free ride. I never go to a car show as a spectator, only as a participant, and I don't mind donating to the cause when I do. I would pay a hell of a lot more for a day on the golf course, and probably come home more aggravated. Just my 2¢

Jeff

Here in DFW, we have car shows every weekend. Most of them are for charity of some kind. The way I look at it, if I'm at a car show I have a chance to talk to a lot of people about T-buckets. If one of those folks decides to build one, then I did my job. I'm not there to win anything, I'm there to promote the hobby. :)

We have a local show for the Kiwanis club. I had not been in years (with an entry). I decided to go this year and got there as late as possible. I sat around until 3:00 or so and they gave out the trophies. There were about 6 or 7 cars in the hot rod class. The car picked for #1 was the worst car there. A friend of mine got 2nd and I pulled a 3rd. When the awards were over I eased over and sat my trophy back down on the table. I do not care if it is a good cause this was my last show. I could give a crap about a trophy (unless it is one of those hand made trophies some of the clubs make) and I am not going to sit all day long waiting for a bunch of people who choose cars based totally on cuteness.

The shows or cruises where you drive in, park, look at the cars, and leave whenever are what is happening. You can leave, come back, stay for 5 minutes, or 2 hours. A rodding friend of mine says the "real" trailer queens are a platform for good ideas that a home built rodder may be able to transfer to his own car. I cannot disagree with that but trailer queens, I just do not get it.

The shows or cruises where you drive in, park, look at the cars, and leave whenever are what is happening. You can leave, come back, stay for 5 minutes, or 2 hours. A rodding friend of mine says the "real" trailer queens are a platform for good ideas that a home built rodder may be able to transfer to his own car. I cannot disagree with that but trailer queens, I just do not get it.

I plan to have some milar decals made for my air filter covers soon, and when I do I'll also have them make a small sticker for the windshield. the exact wording hasn't been determined yet, but something like "trailer not required" , "driven not towed" or "born to be driven" has come to mind. anyone else want one when have them made??

Russ

409T you are so right about the cost involved and someone has to pay those cost.

I was at the 101 Fun Run last year and you do a real good run and you had to charge, but my point was that was not just a car show. I will do that type of "show" all the time if I can but I don't want to set around all day for a trophy. I just don't need another thing to collect dust so let's go driving and I will go with you. If a car show happens then so be it..............That's just my two cents.....

Mike

409T you are so right about the cost involved and someone has to pay those cost.

I was at the 101 Fun Run last year and you do a real good run and you had to charge, but my point was that was not just a car show. I will do that type of "show" all the time if I can but I don't want to set around all day for a trophy. I just don't need another thing to collect dust so let's go driving and I will go with you. If a car show happens then so be it..............That's just my two cents.....

Mike
Thanks Mike. This year's event is going to be a little bit of everything. I think everyone will have a good time. Hope to see you then, along with as many others as can make it. As soon as it stops raining I'm going to take pictures of where we will be during part of the weekend, and post all the info.

Jeff

I plan to have some milar decals made for my air filter covers soon, and when I do I'll also have them make a small sticker for the windshield. the exact wording hasn't been determined yet, but something like "trailer not required" , "driven not towed" or "born to be driven" has come to mind. anyone else want one when have them made??

Russ

How about "IF YOU SEE THIS CAR ON A TRAILER, CALL 911! IT'S BEEN STOLEN!"

Here is what I have to say on the subject:

PRO BUILT OR HOME BUILT,
TRAILERED OR DRIVEN,
STEEL OR GLASS,
WHO CARES, HAVE FUN!

Jim

P.S. When it stops being fun, stop doing it!

How about "IF YOU SEE THIS CAR ON A TRAILER, CALL 911! IT'S BEEN STOLEN!"

I like that one......If you see mine on a trailer it's probably been stolen because I haul it "in a trailer" I like my rolling bed. I just could not resist OLF..... :fidget:

What a bunch of crotchity old farts around here. :eek:hthedrama: :laugh: We have shows every weekend but they are all local charity shows to raise funds for some cause or another. There is only 1 show that I can think of that is run by a promotional company and I don't go to that one. This past weekend we went to a show to raise funds for a family whose child was killed in a school bus accident. I don't mind these shows if they are reasonably priced. Like most though I like to just cruise to the show, check it out, then cruise somewhere else. I will still try and support them by having lunch there and paying $5 to get in.

I'm with you there, just no more waiting to get another dust collector,as mentioned earlier, just cruise onto something more happening a little further down the road. Hooters, Roadhouse, Stations Inn, biker bars just to pass the day. More fun driving than sitting in the sun or a hot parking lot just to get a little more road rash on the bucket. Not into a lot of cleaning!! LOL

What a bunch of crotchity old farts around here. :eek:hthedrama: :laugh: We have shows every weekend but they are all local charity shows to raise funds for some cause or another. There is only 1 show that I can think of that is run by a promotional company and I don't go to that one. This past weekend we went to a show to raise funds for a family whose child was killed in a school bus accident. I don't mind these shows if they are reasonably priced. Like most though I like to just cruise to the show, check it out, then cruise somewhere else. I will still try and support them by having lunch there and paying $5 to get in.
Getting old but not crotchity!!!!!!!!! Enjoying whats left of my LIFE!!!! LOL

We have a Thursday Night Cruise -In with an average of about 200 cars every week. Cruise in, Park for a spell, walk around and talk to everyone, see what's new, grab a bit to eat, etc. Happens every week, and it's free.

I always have five or six car show flyers in my seat by the time I get back to my bucket. All the shows around here are $20 or more entry fee, and the public gets in free to see the cars.

Doesn't make much sense to me to pay to park and sit while people look at my car, so I drive around instead. Twenty dollars worth of gas doesn't go very far anymore though.

I can't afford to go to too many 20 dollar car shows, but the St Louis area is starting to have car shows with a can good entry fee to help the local food pantrys. I'll contribute to that. Its money that I know is for a good cause.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back