Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Coil Over Shock Ratings

tfeverfred

So, my plan was to go with Ron's shocks, which are 165 lbs. I'm 1/3, there money wise.:) But today, I thought I'd call the techs at Speedway to see what they use. I was bored. The tech asked me questions about gas tank size, battery location and assumed weight of occupants. His recommendation... 140 lbs.!?

So, now I'm a little confused. What rate are you guys running?

On my last T, I started out with sand buggy shocks of an unknown rating. I was on a budget and they served their purpose. So much so, I ran with them for a few years, but I knew I could do better. Next, I went with QA1's with a 175 rating. It was a firm ride, but bearable. A while later, I went with 150 springs and it was a little better, but honestly, I rarely could feel the difference. This time around I'm thinking Ron's could be a medium I'd like. His are 165 lbs.

My main objective is to attain as little squat as possible when accelerating.

76461d1059111779-help-anti-squat-diagram-anti-squat.jpg

It shows a four bar but I'm sure you can figure it out using radius rods

In a 4 link type of suspension the instant center changes as the chassis moves up or down.In cars with radius rod, ladder bars or hairpins the instant center is a fixed length and stays constant. That's why the drag racing world went to the fully adjustable 4 link system. The trick in a drag racing car is to determine the ideal length of the instant center and locate it on or just below that diagonal line shown in the drawing. The length is determined by the amount of torque generated at launch of the final gear ratio. In a 2300lb pro stock car that instant center is actual a long ladder bar that must absorb all the power and lift the front end and apply all 2300 lbs of weight on the rear tires when leaving the starting line. More to it then that as the IC changes as the torque curve changes. That it where lots of track time and experience separates the fast cars and the almost fast cars. Drag race cars ideally want to see very little to no body roll on the launch. That's where very stiff anti roll bars come into play. As street cars such as T Buckets all of this is really not that important. Just drive them and have fun!

George

Reactions: RPM
Thanks, George, for the fine explanation of how an adjustable four link system works compared to a four bar system. As many guys on this site know, that is what I have on my T along with a wishbone locator rather than a panhard bar.

Jim

In a 4 link type of suspension the instant center changes as the chassis moves up or down.In cars with radius rod, ladder bars or hairpins the instant center is a fixed length and stays constant. That's why the drag racing world went to the fully adjustable 4 link system. The trick in a drag racing car is to determine the ideal length of the instant center and locate it on or just below that diagonal line shown in the drawing. The length is determined by the amount of torque generated at launch of the final gear ratio. In a 2300lb pro stock car that instant center is actual a long ladder bar that must absorb all the power and lift the front end and apply all 2300 lbs of weight on the rear tires when leaving the starting line. More to it then that as the IC changes as the torque curve changes. That it where lots of track time and experience separates the fast cars and the almost fast cars. Drag race cars ideally want to see very little to no body roll on the launch. That's where very stiff anti roll bars come into play. As street cars such as T Buckets all of this is really not that important. Just drive them and have fun!

George
The in laws top sportsman Corvette has computer controlled shocks, with a data recorder on them. It also has a data recorder for the wheelie bars. The Corvette has 3 on board computers, I sure hope T Buckets don't go this far. The shock system just about 5 grand.

The in laws top sportsman Corvette has computer controlled shocks, with a data recorder on them. It also has a data recorder for the wheelie bars. The Corvette has 3 on board computers, I sure hope T Buckets don't go this far. The shock system just about 5 grand.
Racing isn't a poor boys sport anymore. It really never was, but no way to even really get into it now without some serious jack or sponsors. I like things a bit simpler, myself. Old School ish hot rods will do. The data is great for design, tuning, etc... before long, they will use drones to eliminate the variance in human reaction.....what fun will that be? Lol.

Reactions: RPM
Racing isn't a poor boys sport anymore. It really never was, but no way to even really get into it now without some serious jack or sponsors. I like things a bit simpler, myself. Old School ish hot rods will do. The data is great for design, tuning, etc... before long, they will use drones to eliminate the variance in human reaction.....what fun will that be? Lol.

There are so much electronics in these cars, I have pretty much lost interest in them.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back