Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Confused about pinion angle

btlfed7

So I have been reading alot on setting pinion angle and got a little confused. Almost everything I have read says to set pinion angle with the bucket on the ground with full weight, but I see a bunch of rolling chassis with the rear set in place. I am assuming that the pinion angle is set later adjusting the clevis's. If that is correct, then in what position on the rear housing do I weld the housing brackets?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I think I did to much research and confused myself.

The only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked. I set my pinion at 2degrees and it worked out good. There are some very experienced builders on here that I am sure will give you more detailed information, before the day is over.

Just remember, that how many degrees your tail shaft is pointing downward your pinion should point the same number of degrees upward. As far as loaded or not, it does not make a whole lot of difference in the initial set up. You can always fine tune things later with your clevises or rod end depending on your particular set up.

Jim

If your'e using coilover shocks , then u should have a ballpark "installed length". Weld up a couple solid struts at that length to use in place of the shocks , then u can set your pinion angle w the housing "in place" ... hope this helps...

dave

If your'e using coilover shocks , then u should have a ballpark "installed length". Weld up a couple solid struts at that length to use in place of the shocks , then u can set your pinion angle w the housing "in place" ... hope this helps...

dave

That actually does alot. I didn't think about just needing the ride height to be correct.

Or just take some 1" square tubing and drill your two mounting holes the same distance apart as your shock installed height (just in case you don't have a welder :) )

Well: I,m running a Banjo style rear end and the tire size alone places it ABOVE the centerline of the trans. I have the trans at 3 degrees DOWN and the pinion at 3 degrees UP. Now the problem is that the driveshaft runs DOWNHILL to the trans and gives me about 11 degrees of working angle.. Go figure?? Just beats up the trans rear seals.

Or just take some 1" square tubing and drill your two mounting holes the same distance apart as your shock installed height (just in case you don't have a welder :) )

Sounds easy enough. I have a welder, but why use it if you don't have to.

pinion angle is set based on the trans tail shaft angle. You want to be sure that BOTH of the ujoints on the driveline are angled a few degrees. If not they are actually weak and will break non stop (same if they are angled too much) . I do agree that the angle should be as much as the tail shaft ideally, but if the angle at the tail shaft is too little, the pinion should be a little more. Them being different angles wont hurt anything.

If you're running a banjo with an inclosed driveshaft it dosen't mater what the angle is 'cause there is only one u-joint.

Building an extremely low chassis is going to give you a steep driveshaft angle. One way to cure this is to mount your engine higher in the frame.

Another thing that comes into play here is u-joit phasing. Build you shaft like any OEM shaft and you'll have that problem licked.

Ron

Along these same lines , if you have an offset rear axle does this take care of the issue or do you still have to offset the rear in relation to the front?

The rear end being centered and pinion angle are two separate issues. The rear end needs to be centered (even if offset) and the pinion angle needs to be set after that. Example: The rear pinion will be pointing up 3 degrees and the tail shaft will be pointing down 3 degrees.

It dosen't mater what the driveshaft angle is as long as the trunions in the u-joints are parallel. Offset or centered, no difference.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back