Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

contemplating a build

foodog2

I have wanted to build a car ever since i watched the guys on shade tree mechanic build a TP T-bucket a long time ago. I have boiled it down to either a T-bucket or Factory 5 cobra as my project. My main concerns are 1 comfort driving and 2 ease of build. Whatever i build will be my daily driver (weather permitting) for the most part so i am looking for reliability over cool points. I plan to get a 350 short block crate motor and new TH350 tranny from jegs or somewhere for whatever i build since they are fairly cheap and probably run fuel injection. I like the low look but worry about leg room since common sense tells me the tunnel would have to take up more room. I also want some sort of hidden hitch to tow a small trailer with luggage in case the wife and I want to go away for the weekend.

Is there one manufacturer with a more car in a box type approach with instructions? That is my draw to Factory 5 but i like the bucket look better. I have a decent set of tools and no welding or cutting ability or skills. So if it can't be done with a normal set of wrenches and impacts i probably can't do it.

I am open to all opinions and thoughts and understand that there is probably bias over the different manufacturers, and i am looking for the best bang foor the buck.

Steven

Look at the options and talk to the guys from the 4 forum sponsors above your post. All can get you there with varying differences, budgets and skill level. A Spirit '27 would be a good choice, but Ron Pope (RPM) and Spirit can set you up in an extended '23.

Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before promoting your business.
INAPPROPRIATE AND PROMOTIONAL CONTENT REMOVED - Mike

Look at the options and talk to the guys from the 4 forum sponsors above your post. All can get you there with varying differences, budgets and skill level. A Spirit '27 would be a good choice, but Ron Pope (RPM) and Spirit can set you up in an extended '23.

CCR also does a stretched body.

Posting argumenttively is only reflecting poorly on yourself. Cease and desist.
Nehr does a cool kit with a "speed blister" on the side to make it wider. Oops was that advertising as well?? Anyways the nehr kit is pretty cool if you like the look of the blister. I did notice that when the blister is painted a contrasting color it doe give neat look. I like it and I like the bobtailed look.

Hows that?

Not good for the fact that others pay for the privilage of selling new products on this site, otherwise used and such are sold in classified.

I would be tickled to death to help you with a chassis. Before you call us though take look at this ad in the classified section. http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/for-sale-total-performance-kit.13734/

This is a killer deal for someone. It belongs to the guy that owns this site and he needs to sell it ASAP. If that is not what you want or need, please give me a call.

I like that 4 seater from Wintec, I learned the national event is a hour or so away in June and assume the major companies will be there. I am probably a year from pulling the trigger but will really know what I want when I do. I am recovering from back surgery a few weeks ago and am no where near ready to start a project.

SCCustomRides your site is not iPad friendly so I can't see it.

I like that 4 seater from Wintec, I learned the national event is a hour or so away in June and assume the major companies will be there. I am probably a year from pulling the trigger but will really know what I want when I do. I am recovering from back surgery a few weeks ago and am no where near ready to start a project.

SCCustomRides your site is not iPad friendly so I can't see it.
Sorry, I am not too good at building websites and I dont know how to make it I-pad friendly, I will read up and figure out how to do it in the next few days. Thanks for pointing that out.

I thought that was for companies selling for profit and as full time business's.
No, it is for anyone trying to promote products or services for sale. If you want to sell your product on this site, we offer several attractively-priced advertising packages that will allow you to do so. RPM, Wintec, Spirit and CCR pay for the opportunity to promote their businesses on this site, so you can see why I am not going to allow you to do it, free-of-charge. If you have used and/or unwanted parts you want to sell, you are welcome to list them in our classifieds forum. Those are your only options and there are no other options or exceptions. Sales promotion of any other type is going to be considered spam and you're going to learn I abhor spam. If I learn you are trying to promote your business via our Personal Conversation system (and trust me, I have some of the most site-loyal members I've ever known), I will simply ban your forum account, so please cease and desist.

Nehr does a cool kit with a "speed blister" on the side to make it wider. Oops was that advertising as well??
Wonderful. It seems we have another member who is going to have problems conforming to the simple rules on this site.

Being argumentative is going to get you exactly nowhere. Ask anyone participating on this Web site who wins all of the arguments on this site and you will quickly learn you are stepping onto an extremely slippery slope.

In an effort to help you understand what has always been an easily-understood concept for all of our other members, no, your comment about NEHR does not constitute advertising. Telling someone to visit your Web site or to PC you for additional detail about the products you're using my resources to peddle does constitute advertising. I hope this clarifies the finer points for you.

Since you're seeming to make a habit of violating the forum rules, allow me to remind you we have a 3-strike policy. If a member receives 3 warnings in a 90-day period, his or her account will be banned for 7 days. A 4th warning during that time period will result in a permanent ban from this site. You've received two warnings in this thread, alone. I do not enjoy having to remove members from this site and will only do it as a last resort. But as mentioned above, anyone participating on this site can tell you I certainly will pull the trigger, when it is warranted.

Let this be a reminder to everyone of the rules and guidelines by which this forum and all of its members are governed. I always recommend taking the few minutes necessary to read them and to become familiar with them, to prevent situations like this one from arising.

Foodog, I'm just north of you in Fayetteville Tn. While I don't have a running T-Bucket yet, I do have a large collection of RPM and EhBay parts. Like you I have no welding skills to speak of, so I just got the frame from RPM, and rode up and picked it up. Ron is great to work with, but the other vendors on here also seem great. If your going to the NTBA's it might be a good time to purchase a Body and Frame and pick it up while your there to save delivery cost of the big items.

I'm going to have surgery sometime between April and May, so I'm just collecting parts till after I'm healed to start assembly. Your welcomed to come take a look at Ron's work if your curious though. I hope your back heals well.

Mike

Foodog2, what is your height and weight? I am 6-1 and 270# and have a stretch body on my T and really need it. I can offer some tips re foot and leg room and comfort in general. Check my project blog "big redo of the old bucket," and lemme know.

I am 5'11 260 and proud probably an inch shorter since they cut my back :). I think I would need a stretch at a minimum, but really like that 4 seater. I just keep reading and wondering if I am nuts to try. I was looking on jegs trying to figure out a motor and am nervous about adding components to a small block but not sure I could drop an extra grand for the turn key motor. I just need to keep reading and pick the vendors brains at the show. None of them seem to have the type of idiot proof instructions factory 5 has but I am sure I could figure almost any of it out with help. Would the generic manuals or instructions for sale on some sites be helpful? I do not mind investing in a book or two. Also is there an idiots type guide to small block chevy's to know what minimum components i need for it to run and the way to do things? And transmissions I do not even know where to start.

Foodog2, all you have to do is ask on this forum. I'll bet between everyone here, there is over 500 years of experience which is better than any book. Youngster, Gab and a few others can provide pictures and graffs of anything auto associated. Don't give up before you try!! Also look at the ones for sale on here that can be purchased at a very good deal. Bruce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back