Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Could someone please ID these body panels?

GizmoJoe

Hi folks.
I know that some other sites freak when this question is asked but I would like to have a better idea of what these parts are.
I acquired them yesterday after an all-day road trip (not just for these).
They are rough and thin but better than anything found around home.
Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pictures
Thanks

Attachments

• Back Section Drive Side.jpg
    Back Section Drive Side.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Back Section Inside1.jpg
    Back Section Inside1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Back Section Inside 2.jpg
    Back Section Inside 2.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Back Section Pass Side.jpg
    Back Section Pass Side.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 137
  • Back Section.jpg
    Back Section.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 131
  • inside of door.jpg
    inside of door.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 109
  • Side of door.jpg
    Side of door.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 78
That is I believe a pre-'15 T touring rear section. the door is the rear passenger door for the same. The drivers rear door is on the pile behind it in pic #4.

Ron

Thanks!
You da man!!!
Sneaky.. looking at the pile in the back. I like it.
I have 3 doors (wild hinges!) and the seat-back.

I hadn't planned on making a bucket as much as Tudor (wanted one for decades). Our weather isn't great for an open car much of the year. But...who knows.

I knew someone would enlighten me.
Thanks a bunch Ron.
This is a great place with a great bunch of folks.

I have the V6 and tranny ready to pull off the S-15 frame. Mock-up time :rolleyes:

Hi folks.
I have been de-rusting the panels from that pile-o-parts and making some progress.
I'm now looking at the back, center panel and thinking it would be easier to make a new piece since I have access to a bead roller and shrinker (also I have an E-Wheel).
The center panel is 37" wide at the top. The sides add approx. 9" each. So the overall width is close to 55"

My question to you all is.. since I have to make the panel now would be the time to make the thing wider... how much wider would be "nicer"?

Thanks,
Joe

There's really no need to make it wider. What are you using for a cowl? The rear of a touring was wider than the body at the front seat back. If anything you might want to narrow it or widen the cowl.
Ron

Good point about the cowl-width difference. That's why I ask. :)
Great place.

I have a few cowls to choose from and each need to be "repaired" so I can adjust the size as needed.
I have a couple of 26-27 cowls (one in great shape now that I made a new skin for it) and this "gem" (closer to the right vintage), plus a few parts to make it more "whole".
As you can see.. having to repair and fit isn't an option.. it's a need.

Thanks for the input on the width. I just thought this would be the time to adjust the width if needed.

Once I get a new welder (was borrowing one) I'll be back at it.
I had another picture but it's too big and I'm not on my main system to resize it.

Attachments

• DSC01186.jpg
    DSC01186.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
What v6 are you using? I have a 4.3 chevy with a 700r4 tranny, it's not finished yet but I have tried it out and you won't fell under powered. I put a edelbrock manifold and 500cfm edelbrock carb. Don't know what to use for headers, if you know where to get v6 headers let me know.

The '27 cowl is a good one however you will need to get a little creative with your doors. The '27 doors are almost square on the bottom where the doors you have are more round. With your access to sheet metal shaping tools it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something usable. Remember you want the sides to be almost straight with a little bow out.

Your next hurtle will be the windshield. There again a little creativity goes a long way. Look at pics of early Chebby roadsters for fodder.

Ron

Thanks Guys.
Ya.. I guess the 27 cowl would be the best bet since it's wider and deeper. It's certainly in the best shape of the ones I have.
Doors won't be a problem, since I'm not going for authentic details.

I had a complete S-15 truck with the little 2.8 v6 with 5 speed. I know they aren't the best of the choices but it was here and my budget is .. well... nothing. Plus it runs really well.
I have an 8ba but I hope to put that in an A Truck I have been acquiring parts for.. before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Someone made a steel-tube box for the truck so I have a nice selection of tubing from it. :)

As for headers I plan on making them. I have access to a professional bender. I may have them ceramic coated but that's a long way away.
But I'll check around and see if anyone knows of a source for them.

The beauty of this is that I'm trying to have fun and not create a show car. It's a good thing too! No garage and no budget.
No rat rod though! I saw my first real one in person on the weekend and almost threw up right there. Such a waste. To each their own.

I just need to get that welder.

Thanks a lot guys. I do appreciate it very much.
When I have some pictures of anything worth posting.. I will.

Joe

Joe, I have a pair of center panels from a '27 touring and a pair of doors that need skinning. If we can find away to get them to you, I'd gladly give them up. You could use that back panel for the rest of the body.

Ron

WOW.. that's a swell offer!
I wonder how they could get here? May be a bit expensive.... maybe not.
Whom should I contact about shipping that sort of thing?
I never get stuff from the states...

do you have a Greyhound terminal there?

Ron

Sadly, not a chance. we are SO isolated. We used to have two ferries that crossed to the states but now.. nada.

I'm not too hopeful of finding a way that is reasonable to get this far into the boonies.

Ahh comon Joe, we're rod builders, (read that problem solvers) there's gotta be a way to get it to you! How about the other end of the ferry line. Maybe a bus stop there?

Ron

I know a couple of guys I can ask this evening. :)
Plus I know the UPS guy here. He may have an idea. I'll track him down in the morning.

There ya go!!!! Let me know what you find out!

Ron

Maybe we could get Craig (Al-world1) to give us some help here. I have sent him parts across the border. Anyone else got any ideas?

Ron

Hey Ron...
Apparently Greyhound meets up with a bus line that does come here. However, they have a BAD reputation for losing stuff. They lost 2 packages we sent to my sister in BC. I didn't know that they connected to Greyhound . Not sure where the issue is but ...
Would you be able to get me the size of those pieces and some idea of weight?
I'll see what happens from there.
:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back