Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cross steering help.

Lonestar

• s-l64.jpg

Unisteer 1928 - 1932 Ford Cross Steer Rack & Pinion With Tie Rod

Hey all, I apologize first off for the above but I'm trying to rebuild the steering set up in my C-cab. I thought I was going to be able to a Reverse Corvair but it's not going to work. I started to look at Vega and cross steering setup when I came across the Unisteer setup. My question is this, has anyone ran one of these in their T-bucket and if you have one, what are the dimensions on them because I got a weird frame on mine. Thanks guys.

I've never held one in my hand or even seen one mounted...but my gut feeling from many pictures and the postings of others is that they aren't a big improvement over a regular box.
People have had turn radius issues and also contact issues between the outer boot/bellows and the tire...which rips the boot usually.
On top of that, they are ugly on an open frame ride...unless perhaps its a VERY modern looking build. On your cool older rig, with its 60's vibe, I think it will be an unwelcome focal point...taking away from the overall look.
I'm running a narrow frame and a big block on my T.
Find it hard to believe a pretty little Reversed Corvair like I and many others run can't fit on yours.
I used two U joints to run my steering column up high for foot clearance. Worked great!
If I HAD to use a cross steer I would definately lean towards the Vega box over the Unisteer.
I believe it will give more clearance and a longer draglink to help tame the possibility of bumpsteer...and it won't draw the eye towards it and clash the look of the car overall.
Keep in mind, with cross steer of any kind you will potentially need a panhard bar as well.

Reactions: RPM
I have one on my Model A, and have a friend with one on his T-bucket. Both of us are happy. I'm sure many of you have seen the T-bucket, it is the one with the V-10 Viper motor that is at everything NTBA, Fred's Fun Run in Tucson, the 101 Fun Run in San Diego and numerous other events.

I have one on my Model A, and have a friend with one on his T-bucket. Both of us are happy. I'm sure many of you have seen the T-bucket, it is the one with the V-10 Viper motor that is at everything NTBA, Fred's Fun Run in Tucson, the 101 Fun Run in San Diego and numerous other events.
Is that Chris Ward? I saw that car in Chattanooga in 2012 at the NTBA nationals.

Hacker you got it right, I am worried if I used the Unisteer, I'll have tire contact issues. This car was built with a modified 60's vw bus steering gear box. It bolted straight to the frame and the steering column welded to make it one whole piece. It had no other support than just what is bolted to frame, it shakes, wobbles, and I'm tired of having it sit right between my legs.

Has for the Corvair gear box, I have tried to find a way to make it work but it just won't go. You see, my frame is a lot shorter than most T frames. The engine sits low and real close to the firewall. Trying to place the corvair box right next to the fire wall won't work because the box will sit right up on the fire wall and hits my header while interfering with my spark plugs. The only other option was to move the corvair box all the way up towards the front just before the header. This could work but it would have to sit such a way that would not sit at it's proper angle and it's really more work than I think I really wanna do.

This is why I'm now looking at the Vega and Unisteer as a better way to make it work. Thus why I ask to get a better idea from all of you guys whom have worked with this before.

da1da76f-6364-48f1-80f8-3bedfcc0b8b0_zps4e96b3e1.jpg

The wheel looks to be in a comfortable spot and reasonable angle though.
Man....tough nut to crack if you're tight on room up front. Will you have room to squeeze in a Vega box and pitman arm?
Looking at whats there now, to me the big issue looks like it might be pedal comfort.
Wonder would it be worthwhile to remove the trans cover and see if comfort improves?
Maybe you could build a close fitting fiberglass version...if it would help of course.
I think I could deal with the column and add a firewall/dash brace to stiffen it up.
THINKING that...because I've never been lucky enough to sit in it obviously! LoL
Very cool car! :D

Don't have any magic today, but here's what I did:
TnO_yaAoVel0kTp65JZ_djIpMtHz2IoR9AbMDYGvDo_3dBSu3QzfzMhk3KvrHqIMSM-IuJQ4wZ-rXBqGFyfy7aQZV8oEDf92fYodn4Fd8Pdza_a3yeljilHpRgAZi9kvVAwNiRTMQlxlX3N8X82aC23TFWuf6ijhU6KpV7hxm4NkYhzDqCZZG5cYSP09woiukz35AmqwMIUVkwl_EraacPYZaFqmfA3RmGLeo25M7B4CltSef1l662_ImUKNxjiHJ2mwxYE0jGDVL6u8Rs5pmr6meS9Yj-0WJpasWazUTMqS0AoMaW9Ea1E9-kUU_vAedQxMsNUKvFY59wY7QlgOlHS5wMU2SPD30BePfkZ-inlJUBEsWTvjbPxcU0nA79Ur_CTVQ6Vk5zrHcuINFkV4FMwAu-ZNOPpIFpRL5VR7ncRq-oA2Rk_iR-i-64QB-fFUTh2f5VKNo5sVE7onFm8aTTz7FO_RbZcx88Ja2rlXvcX-2voq3MwNSP7DgWb0CB8TpcIhb5pKsSu50LdeTIBCypkghVaylzZaFk0bJxuYd4PTKC6bEyXABd7sbO2NTwYSHdrK=w986-h739-no

No hump, just a bare tranny for more foot room. And a double U-joint at the bottom of the steering column connects to a rod that runs up the side of the frame rail to rack&pinion at front. So no steering box to stuff in that crowded space.

On my ''T'' it has a G M steering column, on the bottom of column it has a u-joint, then A rod, then another u-joint at vega box . No steering box to take up room.. Works good...

Hacker, the wheel is ok, it's the column that's the problem. You can't really see it at the angle this pic is but the column is really close to the drivers side of the body. You can't get your foot on the other side of it. Both my feet have to stay over on the trans cover and yes, I've already got a glass cover from Speedway to replace the racecar made cover in it. I thought it'd be neat to leave in but it's too flimsy so now it's wall art. I think I can work the vega box in but I'll have to relocate my alt from the bottom to the top of the block.

Potvin, how you deal with the heat? I'd think that trans would get hot or at least very warm after while of driving.

jpop, I do hope I can get away with something simple and clean that will not turn into a complex mess.

The tranny gets warm, but with open cockpit the heat just blows away. And of course it looks cool, which trumps any discomfort.
But you gotta get your foot on the left side of the column somehow. Can you move the bottom of the column to the rear a bit?

Hacker, the wheel is ok, it's the column that's the problem. You can't really see it at the angle this pic is but the column is really close to the drivers side of the body. You can't get your foot on the other side of it. Both my feet have to stay over on the trans cover and yes, I've already got a glass cover from Speedway to replace the racecar made cover in it. I thought it'd be neat to leave in but it's too flimsy so now it's wall art. I think I can work the vega box in but I'll have to relocate my alt from the bottom to the top of the block.

Potvin, how you deal with the heat? I'd think that trans would get hot or at least very warm after while of driving.

jpop, I do hope I can get away with something simple and clean that will not turn into a complex mess.

Ooohhh....that would never do for me either! No wonder you want to change it!

Just mulling stuff over to see if there is an easy way to get some room and not recreate the whole system.

Could you push the existing box forward till its just past or embedded into/thru the firewall? No reason a cover couldn't be made for the outside to make it look neat. Maybe the same thing with the corvair box?
Angle either of them to allow the shaft to aim upward towards the dash maybe, and then have a U joint bring the column out at a nicer angle to the dash to give a bit more foot room.

There IS a way to do this and not recreate the car. Just gotta find it.

Could you post an outside pic or two of the car showing the drivers side view and the area between the engine and firewall? Not a real close up...but back far enough so you can see how everything works and relates to each other.

Looking at the pic posted earlier, the column could be moved up, and forward, and a chain could be used to connect it to the gear box either under the floor, or if no room, above the floor, then add a toe kick to hide it. That would give you the foot room, and not force any redesign as far as moving the box or steering gear. I have seen chain drive steering column links, but I don't have one to show you. I am sure it could be done with parts from a power transmission supply company, like for mining and industrial equipment, if you can't locate a pre designed kit that will work with your components. That would allow you to place the column just about where you want it, between the chain drive and a u joint or two. Just an observation! Really need more detailed pics to be specific.

Looking at the pic posted earlier, the column could be moved up, and forward, and a chain could be used to connect it to the gear box either under the floor, or if no room, above the floor, then add a toe kick to hide it. That would give you the foot room, and not force any redesign as far as moving the box or steering gear. I have seen chain drive steering column links, but I don't have one to show you. I am sure it could be done with parts from a power transmission supply company, like for mining and industrial equipment, if you can't locate a pre designed kit that will work with your components. That would allow you to place the column just about where you want it, between the chain drive and a u joint or two. Just an observation! Really need more detailed pics to be specific.

You can actually buy those prebuilt! Forgot all about them.
Pretty sure Speedway is a dealer for them so it would be easy to get.

Heres a link to the company website.
Wizard Fabrication I Steer Clear Offset Steering Coupler | 916-736-0110

And I'm back, sorry for the disappearing act but there's just been a lot on my plate of late. Yes I did think of the SteerClear (I think that is what it's called) but it's price is too much for me and I don't think it'd look right. I picked up a Vega box and have been working on how it will go. Sadly this keeps getting pushed back due to other things needing to get done first but I'm working on it. I'll get some pics as well when I can. Thanks for helping me out with this one guys.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back