Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Vega box with traditional steering

thebearded1

Has anyone used Ron Pope's under frame mount to use a Vega box with traditional steering? I'd be interested in some photos of your setup. My car currently has a reversed Corvair box on top of the frame that is poorly mounted and somewhat in the way for future exhaust setups so i was thinking of going this other option.

Thanks
Gene

Thanks do you have any photos with the steering box hooked up to the colomn and all? I don't have any worries using Ron's i've ordered stuff from him before and it was great. I just need to see if I can make the vega box work with my setup.

Hi thebearded1 , i have a Vega steering box (brand new) you can have it for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you are interested . Okay ??

Yes I replaced the Corvair with the Half Rack and I tried to show how I did it......More photos can be posted......Or I can send them email..........

Have to say, no one will know whether it's a Modern or Vintage rack. Most won't even notice it. Very clever and cool way of setting up reliable steering. JMTCW

I won't be running a hood, i'm building my bucket like a track roadster from the 50s and will be racing at vintage events so rack and pinion is too modern for what i want. There wouldn't be any room between the frame and my oil pan either. The vega setup for traditional will work well

Yea I plan on racing it on dirt circles, asphalt drags and gravel drags. May take it to the Coatesville vintage Gran prix in PA too which is a street road course

Well I'm not sure how i'm going to be able to make the vega setup work. If I was to use RPMs under-frame bracket the box is going to be about 4" off the road/track which seems like it's going to be too low and look odd. Side note I do plan on making a skid plate to protect the oil pan.

333679582_906802917186424_284305310133524453_n.jpg

I don't have the option of moving the box closer inward towards the engine so I could mount the box higher and on the inside of the frame since the space between the frame and oil pan is 3.25" and it would also line up the steering shaft going through my bellhousing.

I also thought about mounting the vega box on top of the frame but that would make the drag link heavily sloped downward to the front and not parallel to the hairpins.
328195290_3292116274342218_189090615880140586_n.jpg

I know the current setup is not parallel to the hairpins but i was hoping to get it closer with whatever change i did. It looks like my best option may be to try mounting a rebuilt reverse corvair box closer to the firewall to give me more room for my exhaust while raising it a little to make the drag link parallel to the hairpins.

Just looking for suggestions or if anyone has any other ideas that would work. I would like to stick with using a steering box over the half rack as I trying to stay with a vintage look on the car.

Sincerely frustrated and grateful for any help haha
Gene

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back