Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Days of ole

Al-palamidas-1925-ford.jpg

Cool ol' roadster ... and built WITHOUT the internet ... LOL

Ron

Looks like the rear end was set back farther than more modern T's but I could be seeing things.....wonder if that was a "period-correct" design?

Interesting. If it's steel, that's some nice body work on the bodies lower edge. Looks like it was done to clear the rear radius rods and the frame. If it's glass, could be an old (60's) body. British T or perhaps Aussie?

I'm thinking this pic is from the late '40's or early '50's making it very doubtfull if it's 'glass. The wheels pretty much date the car as dose the flathead. The rear is slightly back from it's original position most likely to accomadate a lowering modification.

Ron

If that's a Bell helmet, they wheren'ton the market till '48. Those chrome wheels are not after market either. Wonder what it cost to have a set of 16" stockers chromed back then?

Ron

The car in the driveway looks like a late 30's , maybe mid 40s.

"If that's a Bell helmet, they wheren'ton the market till '48. Those chrome wheels are not after market either. Wonder what it cost to have a set of 16" stockers chromed back then?"

Back when we were building the car shown here, chrome wheels weren't available on every street corner the way they are now. The wheels on this car were found in the front window of a local chrome shop one day. We inquired thinking there was no way that we could afford a genuine set of chromed wheels. First news was that they were not chromed but rather they were nickle plated. Secondly, they were the property of some guy who had brought them in quite a while ago and hadn't ever come back to get them. The shop owner just wanted rid of them and offered a very friendly price. Right size and right bolt pattern and we actually had that much cash! Does life get any better than this?

Well, yes it does. After more saving, we went in search of tires for those wheels. One of the places that we went was the largest tire store in the city. Somewhere in the conversation we mentioned that we were going to put these tires on a hot rod. When the salesman found that out, he said "follow me boys, I think that I have something that might interest you." Off we go to the far reaches of their warehouse. Setting right there in front of our amazed eyes was a genuine pair of brand new Bruces recapped slicks. Again the story was that some one had ordered them and never reappeared. Bargain time again.

I don't remember what the wheels and tires cost in late 50's money, but it must not have been much or we would have had those pretties on this car:

SideView.jpg

I had one of the first sets of American Torque Thrusts in our area on my 64 Chevy and they were about $ 50 each. As I remember, chrome reverse wheels sold for around $ 15 per wheel in the old hot rod magazine ads.

Don

Yup ... I dressed my "68 Chevelle in chrome rims and 4 f-60 white letter tires for around $200. in "72.:cool:

Ron

Geez! Now I can't even read em right. I thought it said steering wheel, not steering box.

The steering box was one of the early Ford models. I don't have a clue as to what year or model was the donor. We got it with a pile of stuff that was an abandoned collection from a guy was gathering to build a bucket and then fizzled out on. Youngster can probably fill in the blanks as to what Henry used when. He is the authority on that kind of stuff.

You wouldn't have a pic of it by any chance?

Ron

If it was easy to move by hand it was probably a '37 t0 '48 passenger or F-1/F-1oo box. If it was a little stiff then maybe a '32 to '34 passenger box. Then again it could have been one of the Ross boxes. They where popular late '50's early '60's. Most of those came fron Willis cars and jeeps. The quarter mile guys liked 'em cause they where a little quicker that the Ford boxes.

Ron

After about 2 minutes of searching I found the in the January 1948 issue of Hot Rod

Al-palamidas-1925-ford.jpg
Al Palamidas of the Northern California Roadster Racing association showing off his '25 T V-8 in Oakland California.​
Ron​

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back