Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

DEATH WOBBLE

luke 13

CAM00197.jpg
New owner of a garage find T bucket getting her back in the game. Can anyone tell me or give me some advise on how to stop a front end death wobble? The car will be cruising along and all at once the front end both wheels start wobbling out of control. Sometimes hitting a bump also will set it off. Also if I make it up to 45 mph or so without bit happening it will start if I try to slow down. The car was sitting since 1998 and was built in 1993 by the paper work I got with it. I did find some loose tie rods and tightened them down. didn't make a difference. I also greased everything up but that wasn't any help either. It is an I-beam axle with wishbones, Ive never had anything like this so I haven't got a clue about the hardware connecters (bolts or pins) that hold the wishbones of spindles on. Here are some pics maybe you experts can help me out or tell me whats wrong or what to do.

Attachments

• CAM00198.jpg
    CAM00198.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 62
  • CAM00199.jpg
    CAM00199.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CAM00200.jpg
    CAM00200.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 56
First make sure every thing is very tight. King Pins, Tie Rod, Steering box, Wheel Bearings and spring shackles. As light as these cars are you need to think a bit out of the box and make the wheel bearings tighter than normal. After all that then check the toe in/out and make sure the axle is about 6 to 7 degrees laid back....On my three straight axle cars they all like Toe Out between 1/8 & 1/4. Start at 1/16 out and drive until you no longer have the problem if not go a little bit more....Try it you will like it.............

Mike

View attachment 10081
New owner of a garage find T bucket getting her back in the game. Can anyone tell me or give me some advise on how to stop a front end death wobble? The car will be cruising along and all at once the front end both wheels start wobbling out of control. Sometimes hitting a bump also will set it off. Also if I make it up to 45 mph or so without bit happening it will start if I try to slow down. The car was sitting since 1998 and was built in 1993 by the paper work I got with it. I did find some loose tie rods and tightened them down. didn't make a difference. I also greased everything up but that wasn't any help either. It is an I-beam axle with wishbones, Ive never had anything like this so I haven't got a clue about the hardware connecters (bolts or pins) that hold the wishbones of spindles on. Here are some pics maybe you experts can help me out or tell me whats wrong or what to do.

Luke 13,

I just saw a pretty good write up on these types of problems in the current on the stands magazine "Rod and Custom." I just skimmed through it but it did address a number of things with front end wobbles, shimmy etc. It's only been three days ago so you should be able to find it. Good Luck.

George

First make sure every thing is very tight. King Pins, Tie Rod, Steering box, Wheel Bearings and spring shackles. As light as these cars are you need to think a bit out of the box and make the wheel bearings tighter than normal. After all that then check the toe in/out and make sure the axle is about 6 to 7 degrees laid back....On my three straight axle cars they all like Toe Out between 1/8 & 1/4. Start at 1/16 out and drive until you no longer have the problem if not go a little bit more....Try it you will like it.............

Mike
Exactly what Mike has said. These cars like toe out for some reason, not toe in. A simple way to do this is take the tools with you to change the toe. Drive the car, note at what speed you get the wobble. Turn the tie rod 1/4 turn drive again. Did it get better or worse? Keep doing this till it goes away.

Mike
THANK YOU very much now ill have to figure out how to set that toe, making sure everything is tight isn't a problrm

Luke 13,

I just saw a pretty good write up on these types of problems in the current on the stands magazine "Rod and Custom." I just skimmed through it but it did address a number of things with front end wobbles, shimmy etc. It's only been three days ago so you should be able to find it. Good Luck.

George
Thank you grorge

Exactly what Mike has said. These cars like toe out for some reason, not toe in. A simple way to do this is take the tools with you to change the toe. Drive the car, note at what speed you get the wobble. Turn the tie rod 1/4 turn drive again. Did it get better or worse? Keep doing this till it goes away.

Bare with me im blonde, but im not quite sure what you mean when you say turn the tie rod 1/4 turn, do you mean a 1/4 "?

the tube is round, make a line on top, divide the tube into quarters then you can turn the tube 1/4 turn (90 degrees)

I''m pretty sure lincolnuT is talking about 1/6 inch, 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch. For example, measure the distance between the two tires half way up from the ground, at the outside back edge and at the outside front edge. If the back distance is 50" and the front distance is 50 1/2" you have 1/2" of toe out. My three T-buckets seem to track best at zero toe in or out, your mileage may vary.

I guess that they are all different as mine is best with a slight toe in. Over 17K miles and no "death wobble". I say, whatever works best for you, go for it.

Jim

the tube is round, make a line on top, divide the tube into quarters then you can turn the tube 1/4 turn (90 degrees)
If I screw the tube isn't one tie rod end screwing out and the other end screwing in, basically not changing the toe just changing the position of the pitman arm? Am I wrong?

Your tie rod acts like a turnbuckle with one left hand and one right hand thread(if it's made correctly). Turning it one way makes it get longer and turning it the other way makes it get shorter. Your car has the steering arms behind the spindle, so shortening the tie rod will make the tires toe out.

Remember, when you loosen the jam nuts on the tie rod ends that one of them is left handed.

I''m pretty sure lincolnuT is talking about 1/6 inch, 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch. For example, measure the distance between the two tires half way up from the ground, at the outside back edge and at the outside front edge. If the back distance is 50" and the front distance is 50 1/2" you have 1/2" of toe out. My three T-buckets seem to track best at zero toe in or out, your mileage may vary.
Thanks bud now I'm starting to see the light, sometimes it takes me awhile. I,ve never been a mechanic but, I have an engineering background so I can usually figure it out with a little bit of direction. Did you see the pics of the front end configuration at the beginning of my post? Does it look like an oka. set up to those of you who know. Are there changes to make it better?

Your tie rod acts like a turnbuckle with one left hand and one right hand thread(if it's made correctly). Turning it one way makes it get longer and turning it the other way makes it get shorter. Your car has the steering arms behind the spindle, so shortening the tie rod will make the tires toe out.

Remember, when you loosen the jam nuts on the tie rod ends that one of them is left handed.
OKAY, I thought it would tighten one and loosen the other. You guys are giving me so much new knowledge im going to have to get rid of some of to old un needed knowledge to make room. just a little some humor. Thank You!!!!!!

I just noticed in your pics that your tie rod may not have jamb nuts. Hard to see, but it looks like you have a clamp around the threaded end like a stock tie rod. Doesn't really matter, you just loosen the clamp to allow you to turn the tie rod. Both clamps should be standard right hand threads.

Is there any arch at all in that spring? It almost looks like its bent upward while sitting. Might just be the camera angle.

As for the wobble, check the tires first! If the tires/wheels are out of round nothing else you change will make much of a difference.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back