Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Did the DMV Thing today

Duke

Went to the DMV here in Oregon today. I was ready with all the stuff they could possibly want, took me two months to title and register my 38 chevy. Went in with the Spirit paper work, pickup up the form I needed and took a number, filled out the form and my number was called soon as I finished. Gave the guy the form and the MSO from Spirit, guy looks at it, we go outside and look at the car and check the VIN#. Back inside he takes my money, gives me a temporary title and registration and I am out the door, 35 minutes to 45 minutes and done. I am in shock, I was ready and didn't need anything but the Spirit paperwork - Way to go Spirit - Go to get insurance, agent takes Pictures, then my money, and 15 minutes later I am insured to drive on the road and $30,000 for loss of the car if that ever happened. I can't believe it, one hour of time spent and I am done and ready to roll. :D

Congrats on leaping over that hurdle. I'm up here in Washington and live in the Seattle/Tacoma area so I'm thinking emission check will be in order here. I could have the first catalytic convertor t bucket in existance if I do a build. Thats the huge unknown for me and makes me apprehensive to start a T project.

sstock said:
Congrats on leaping over that hurdle. I'm up here in Washington and live in the Seattle/Tacoma area so I'm thinking emission check will be in order here. I could have the first catalytic convertor t bucket in existance if I do a build. Thats the huge unknown for me and makes me apprehensive to start a T project.

Most states have what is called a "Special Construction" or "Assembled Vehicle" title and these cars are exempt from requirements such as safety bumpers and emissions equipment that manufactured vehicles are required to have.

Photoman is right, most states have some kind of exemptions, in Oregon it is special rules for Street rods. That means no emissions check, no catalytic converter, no fenders or hood, no windshield wiper, and there is a list of other items. Do a search on the web for your state for the DMV, be prepared to go cross eyed trying to read that stuff. Check with LumanAl, he is in the Seattle area - he probably knows the rules for Washington.

Been waitin all day to read this post Duke! That sure is good news that they didn't hassle ya. I dunno what they will do with me, but it prolly won't be pretty....:eek:
I'm glad your on the road, be carefull and have fun ! :cool:
Another reason to get the T parts all in a box !! Less trouble where it counts ! Funz da same anyway ya look at it ...... "BH"

I'm so glad to hear someone finally got through that maze unscaved. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Ron

I am just about ready to give this a try. Here In GA a new law has been signed in the last month and the forms that I am to fill out are for a salvage vehical. So I am sure its not going to be pretty and at $100+ per visit I can feel a sharp pain in my rear area. When I called to ask a few questions I was asked where did I get the frame I ansewered I made it and then I was told that I couldn't have, ...Houston we have a Problem...
Maybe the inspector, my pics, and 20+ grand in reciepts will help out.

Randall

Duke said:
Photoman is right, most states have some kind of exemptions, in Oregon it is special rules for Street rods. That means no emissions check, no catalytic converter, no fenders or hood, no windshield wiper, and there is a list of other items. Do a search on the web for your state for the DMV, be prepared to go cross eyed trying to read that stuff. Check with LumanAl, he is in the Seattle area - he probably knows the rules for Washington.

Thanks guys for your info, I have read the RCW (State Law) it is obscure and you have to be an attorney to make head or tail out of it. I've tried calling the DMV and got nowhere, maybe I'll try going down this week and see. I turn fifty this week and the other half has given her ok to start a T project, so Thursday, I'll go check into this.

Cheers,

Steve

Whoa, I think I would reconsider the Salvage Vehicle title thing. My understanding of a salvage title is it is not a good thing to have, of course I have no idea about GA laws. Just my opinion, that and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee. :D

I'm glad you got her legal without a lot of crap. Texas can be very weird and I was lucky to have someone who knew someone at the DMV. Even then, there was a hoop or two I had to jump through, but in the end, it's all worth it.

It's sad that a little piece of paper can be one of the most stressful parts of owning one of these cars. Well, I guess sad isn't the right word. About the only advice I can give is to try and do as much homework as you can and try talking with someone who has went through it in your state. I called those people here so many times, I got to know their voices and even then, it was luck that got me through this crap.

The DMV needs to have one set of rules that covers all states. The process shouldn't be easy or hard, depending on where you live and the answers to your questions shouldn't vary with who you talk to or what kind of day that person is having.

sounds like an easy transaction. You lucked out.

after talking to the DMV in Colorado several times I bought a New York title from 1958, traded a late flathead overdrive transmission to a cop for my VIN verification and did a heck of alot of sweet talking to the older lady at the DMV counter to get my papers. I cant believe the amount of work they expected me to fo through to do it the other way.

sstock said:
Thanks guys for your info, I have read the RCW (State Law) it is obscure and you have to be an attorney to make head or tail out of it. I've tried calling the DMV and got nowhere, maybe I'll try going down this week and see. I turn fifty this week and the other half has given her ok to start a T project, so Thursday, I'll go check into this.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve , shoot a PM to Turbo-T and DPI , they both reside in Vancouver, WA. DPI has a drivable T, they can guide you thru the state stuff... LumenAL may also be able to help you. These guys are all members of "CAT's" (Cascade Area T's) (NTBA), there are several other members in Washington State. If you need help go to the NTBA site, log in and go to the CAT's forum and leave em a message...... "BH"

Duke said:
Whoa, I think I would reconsider the Salvage Vehicle title thing. My understanding of a salvage title is it is not a good thing to have, of course I have no idea about GA laws. Just my opinion, that and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee. :D

Well they say (who ever they are) that these are just the forms that have to be used because it is a new law and the new forms have not been written yet. The old way was if you had a title from a car that you used parts from it could be transfered to the "new" car. Same was true for motorcycles which is from what I hear is where the problem started. But anyway I have been assured ..... (sorry couldnt stop laughing) that this will not be a salvage title and it will follow the new law. Time will tell.Randall

This is Hohenwald... Lewis county Tennessee. This picture shows the busiest day of the year.

1114989969_cbbcda65e3_o.jpg

Walk in, you might need to wait a couple minutes while a Mennonite or Amish couple gets their questions answered, but most of the time you have NO wait at all.

Plop down five or six titles (I've done this several times) "I need title and tags for this one, title transfer on this, need to renew tags on this, apply for lost title on this, and antique tags for this."

The sweet little lady repeats exactly what I said, starts entering the info in the computer, gathers up a couple of tags for me...

"That'll be a hundred and twenty five dollars" with some hesitation in her voice like I might freak out at the high price to pay for all of this.

I love Tennessee.

I beleive SEMA has a guideline that a lot of street rod clubs and assoc. are trying to get their states to use in writing titling and registration legislation. Trouble with this whole process is those who abuse it. There has to be some safety measures incorperated in it to protect againest this abuse.

Ron

So far I haven't had any problems, plan in the next day or two to find some mile markers and set my speedometer. I feel a little more comfortable then about opening her up a little :lol:, should be able to tell more then.

Yes, it is a Spirit top, however I had it upholstered inside and out, but can be left in fiberglass with paint. I do like the look upholstered. What do you think of the Spirit top ? I like the look but I know some people like the soft tops more, or no top at all. I think a T-bucket looks great no matter how you do it. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back