Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Do T buckets need front shocks?

kev23t

Is it possible to go without shock on the front of t buckets? I have ssen some that looks like there is none on them. What would be the drawbacks besides a stiff ride?

Most definitely
These are friction shocks
IMG_2314.jpg

Then there are lever hydraulic shocks not to many run these though
419075red.jpg

Without any shocks you will start what we call the death wobble very easy.
Here is a link to the wobble.Death wobble

Here is a short video if you have never seen it.

[media]

Is it possible to go without shock on the front of t buckets? I have ssen some that looks like there is none on them. What would be the drawbacks besides a stiff ride?
You WILL!! go out of control and wreck.The front wheels will start to bounce bad and you will loose all control of your car.Now there are some here who will disagree but i have gone down that road with bad friction shocks and it went away with hydraulic shocks.Do as you want but consider this a warning.

Dont even think about running your bucket without shocks. Its just plain dangerous & dumb.

If car manufacturers could build safe cars without shocks, and increase their margins by doing that, you can be sure that they would go that way.

But they cant, which is why ALL new cars have shocks fitted.

There are some interesting and way cool looking front shock setups on buckets. Have a look for some posts by Gerry UK on here to see what I mean.

Sure. I've been driving mine for 15 years without shocks. It's fine around town, and I cruise on the expressways and interstates at 60mph. The only time it is a problem is on bad roads; then the wheels will bounce some.

Sure. I've been driving mine for 15 years without shocks. It's fine around town, and I cruise on the expressways and interstates at 60mph. The only time it is a problem is on bad roads; then the wheels will bounce some.

You need to move to northern wisconsin where a smooth road can't be found.

I tried friction shocks, ditched them.

I tried no shocks, no thanks.

By far hydraulic shocks are the best for the front. I wouldn't have anything else.

Thanks everyone. Any cool hydraulic shock mounts available? What about ones that hook to headlight mounts?

I drove mine with only one friction shock once while in the middle of the conversion to hydraulic shocks (hey sometimes the weathers nice and you just have to cruise). I couldn't imagine not having any shocks at all but there is always one in the bunch that says they are great. From my experience friction shocks plain suck. Switching to hydraulic shocks made a huge difference in the ride quality. With the friction shocks and no shocks the front end bounces all over the road if there is any bumps at all. The hyd shocks smooth everything out nicely. It is one of those things you will be glad you did after you see the difference it makes.

There has been a bunch of threads recently about shock conversion so just do a search.

I really like Lee's setup in post #4 in this thread. http://www.tbucketeers.com/topic/10896-front-shock-angle/

Here is some more opinions on friction shocks. http://www.tbucketeers.com/topic/9962-friction-shocks-good-bad-or-what-you-thinking/

Here is my thread on my conversion. http://www.tbucketeers.com/topic/10833-hydraulic-shock-conversion/

I got my mounts from Ron at RPM but had to modify them. I believe Ron or Jim at Wintec have the mount like Lee has in post #4 mentioned above. I think that is a nice clean look but those pics never showed up till after my conversion.

As others have said, shocks are definately necessary for safe, fun driving. I am a fan of coil-over shocks as you can eliminate the buggy spring and they have some adjustability and the springs can be swapped out from different rates if needed. The down side is that they are bigger and need to be designed with the frame upfront for a strong clean design. With that being, said, in our current budget '23 build, I'm not sure yet about the front shocks. I'm leaning toward a mount like others have shown and use a smallish shock and a buggy spring...I'll be looking at some of the mounts and ideas in this thread.

As others have said, shocks are definately necessary for safe, fun driving. I am a fan of coil-over shocks as you can eliminate the buggy spring and they have some adjustability and the springs can be swapped out from different rates if needed. The down side is that they are bigger and need to be designed with the frame upfront for a strong clean design. With that being, said, in our current budget '23 build, I'm not sure yet about the front shocks. I'm leaning toward a mount like others have shown and use a smallish shock and a buggy spring...I'll be looking at some of the mounts and ideas in this thread.

bens27_%28144%29.jpg
this is what Ben T has now another good option gives a little more modern look.

bens27_%28144%29.jpg
this is what Ben T has now another good option gives a little more modern look.

Here is a better shot after completion. The shock are not as visable with the grill shell and headleghts on. I've been able to fine tune the front end a biot with the shocks and it rides great!
DSCF0071.jpg

Here is a better shot after completion. The shock are not as visable with the grill shell and headleghts on. I've been able to fine tune the front end a biot with the shocks and it rides great!
DSCF0071.jpg
Sorry if I posted the wrong pic
thinkn.gif

Sorry if I posted the wrong pic
thinkn.gif

[/quote]

No issue with the posting of the pic...I just wanted to show that the coilovers aren't as noticeable as you think when all the rest of the front end is together. The mounts on the build pic are actually temporary and were used to get the ride height dialed in.
hi.gif

My bucket has no shocks. Due to the 6" drop axle and the way my steering arms and tie rod are there is no room for shocks. Been like that since I finished building it in 1993 or so. I have put ALOT of miles on the bucket and have not had a wreck or bad bouncing or shimmy or all the else talked about on here. I did have a major bounce and shimmy one time on the highway but that was due to an incorrect toe-in/out adjustment. Fixed that and no more problems. Incorrect toe-in/out is prolly THE MOST critical adjustments you can do to these little cars and the biggest cause of shimmy, bounce, etc... as well as front tire pressure.

YES it is a good idea to run shocks and it will improve the ride and handling. BUT running without shocks is not going to do you harm. I have a 4" drop axle with CCR brackets already on it that has been sitting on the garage shelf for over 10 years. Maybe one of these days I will put it on along with different steering arms and add the 1948 Ford F100 front shock mounts that I have on the shelf also along with the Pro Shocks too. Then again, maybe not. I like the look and stance with the 6" drop axle and thanks for the Slamguard pan.

Hmmm, great discussion. I was planning on going with friction shocks for an old school look but I'm going to rethink this because we do have bad roads around here. Good to see a wide selection of shock mount pics

Hmmm, great discussion. I was planning on going with friction shocks for an old school look but I'm going to rethink this because we do have bad roads around here. Good to see a wide selection of shock mount pics

Im using frictions. Just miss the pot hole. I did this for years with my first T and to this date I STILL look for pot holes and ruts, even in the wifes XFire
Gerry

I'm still running friction shocks too. Its just part of the routine maintenance.
hk.gif

There was dicussion on some other forum about the need for shocks a few years back which turned me right off to that group.

I have a combination of hydraulic and friction shocks on my project. I have lean towards advocating friction shocks if only because I have a design for friction shocks as a product I may wish to introduce, make and sell. I'm basing my marketing strategy on the General Motors Theory of Marketing......... It doesn't have to work, it only has to sell. Yes, Paris it's only a theory. Just kidding... to a degree.

So, what my point? I think shocks are a necessity and I encourage everyone to have them. They have been around for a number od decades and there are no legitimate agruements again them. Let's face it, if the bean- counters had their way maybe not, fortunately engineering practicality prevailed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back