Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Don't pay the ransom . . . . I've escaped !

Island Girl

Hi Guys, . . . I'm still here

Been pretty busy with work lately, and not just a little bummed out since Spirit still hasn't come thru with my new rear yet, but I'm well and doing OK otherwise.

I don't always keep in mind that at our age range, not seeing a post from someone for a while might be cause for concern.

Now if Josh can just get me squared away, I can get to building instead of crying in my beer.

Darlene

Welcome back. Hopefully Josh will get your replacement to you quickly and you can move forward. We are all waiting to see that tire shredding big block in action!

You go, girl! We're all pulling for you!!! And sometimes 'crying in your beer' helps :rolleyes::sneaky:

Thanks for the kind words guys,

I wasn't gone as in not keeping up with the posts, just been kinda disconnected and quiet with regards to my build.

The grass has grown up like a jungle in my work tent, trying to gather the resolve to go to Home Depot this morning for a weed wacker or something suitable to try to take back my project.

Tall Grass r1.jpg

Reactions: Guy
A goat, maybe??? :roflmao:

As humorous as that might sound in the first world, There's actually 2 goat farms within a couple/three hundred yards. Goat is quite a staple in the Caribbean diet.

Fortunately, a Ryobi 18V Lithium cordless weed wacker did the job just fine without leaving a pile of turd balls behind.

I have officially reclaimed my work space.

Cut Grass r1.jpg

Any news on your rear end ummmm the rear axle housing?

My rear end is old and fat as well it should be after all these years, but the axle housing is another matter . . . .

Here's the last email I got from Josh about 10 days ago:

"I don’t have the housing yet. They made me the wrong size as the lady I usually deal with is on medical leave so the other sales person read her notes wrong"

I hope it's all just some bad karma and that it'll get resolved soon.

Getting the right rear and driveline in is really key to making progress at this point.

One word of advise when ordering rear axle housings and or axles. When you yourself order custom width parts you should always send a simple drawing with all dimensional information on it. That way there are no arguments as to what your specified parts were to be. I have ordered hundred of custom length race and street axles and build hundreds of custom width housings with every kind of special suspension brackets you can think of and every one had a build sheet with very precise dimensional information shown on the drawing. Saves a lot of grief and misunderstandings. I'm sure Josh has ordered a number of non standard units to meet the customers request and mistakes can and do happen but if it's in writing then the customer is safe in the event it comes to a she said he said situation. That being said, I have absolute faith in Josh getting you the correct assembly. Tell him to throw in a couple of T-shirts! Good luck with your project.
George

Mind if I jump in here . . . I believe she ordered the complete 27 kit from Spirit, and that included a proper length axle. I think what happened is they mistakenly supplied an axle for a 23 (56"), rather than the 27 (62").

Mind if I jump in here . . . I believe she ordered the complete 27 kit from Spirit, and that included a proper length axle. I think what happened is they mistakenly supplied an axle for a 23 (56"), rather than the 27 (62").

Spanky
I said when you or anyone orders custom length axle housing assemblies there needs to be dimensional drawings, sketches or build sheets. Her part in ordering the combination should have had the tire width, the rim width, the offset and the brakes you want to use. If those rules are followed then the supplier (Spirit-Josh) would have enough information to allow for tire body clearance and determine the axle flange to axle flange dimension. Brake backing plates or bearing retaining plates/caliper mounts would be added and a housing width and pinion location would then be determined. That information would then be sent to the shop that would build the housing and correct axle length. So if everyone does their job theoretically you should have a bolt in assembly. Now when any information is transmitted verbally via telephone then misunderstandings can and do happen. I am not pointing a finger at anyone. It's the old tell a story (as in gossip) and by the time it gets to the final person it's a completely different subject. As bad as my hearing is I never take anything for a commitment until I have the paperwork in hand and the customer gets a build sheet back for their final approval. And in Josh's case he has to give the order to a replacement office person and anything can happen. Just thoughts to keep in mind for anyone ordering custom machined or fabricated parts with verbal, hand or smoke signal communication. Much like the guy that orders a custom diamond wedding ring and the bride changes her mind. He owns it and can only keep it for another try at marriage.

One other thing about axle lengths. I would never knowing buy a OEM used axle that had been cut down to length and re-splined period. I won't go into here as it is really a technical issue. Perhaps at a later date I will state my reasons along with a number of related information. So all and all everyone involved has to look at what they did and see where the information got off left center. Us double vision guys have have two centers so we don't count. Josh will get it corrected to everyone's satisfaction and there will be a Rumble in the Islands! We will be waiting.
George

It probably should have caused some concern when they put the little donut wheels on to ship it . . . .

These have almost zero backspace, yet almost touch the body where the body is farthest in from the wheel.

If they hadn't been in such a hurry, they might have caught that.

Arrives 1r.jpg

Arrives r2.jpg

When you see the front view picture you can tell something is not correct. Those little donuts are almost hidden from view. Maybe whoever installed them didn’t pay attention.

I agree with you Island Girl. They should have noticed it!

So where is Spirit / Josh / BC?

They are usually very responsive!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back