Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Door latches

fletcherson

if anyone has crafted their own doors and has any wisdom to offer related to latches, I'd appreciate your $.02 worth. I have everything worked out, built hinges, reinforced and glassed the door and jamb areas, but I am having second thoughts about my latch choise. I initially went with the speedway surface mount generic latches and I procured a set of factory Ford strikes, but I'm not in love with them. I am particularly interested in small, simple, bear claw type, but I can't seem to locate a source with dimensions. I don't have very thick doors or jambs, 1"-11/4" or so, and don't intend to. Simplicity is key, but I want strong, safe, durable components. It just seems like overkill to have to install cable actuated latches with remote handles on such small doors in an open cockpit.

Good to hear from you Fletch. It's been a while.

Mini Bear Claw Latches Might take a look at these. They have several different latches.
Thanks! I was just researching some very similar to them. They seem to be the right size, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them to see if the install is worth the work. I wish that I would have designed doors rather than simply cutting them out of the body so I could have planned for an overlap and latches. It's just so much work for such a small, simple car. I'm likely being too picky!

Good to hear from you Fletch. It's been a while.
Thanks! I got in a rut and needed some media silence, lol... I have been busy doing everything but working on my toy. Time to get back to it. I noticed that you have been busy. Nice work, as usual, good progress too! Soon, I will have my front magnesium wheels back. My friend is machining them to accept disc brakes. It was pretty invasive. He had to machine the seal boss off of them to create a shoulder to attach an adapter, which houses the seal and allows the disc to mount. I was apprehensive about cutting those spindle mounts, but I want it to be old school with modern function and not off the shelf. He's providing some other custom goodies too. He's a life long machinist. I am glad he wants to contribute. It's cool re associating with my long time school pal. We have built many cars, bikes, trucks, etc together and between health and other life issues lost touch. Now he is introducing his son to the craft. A little welcomed motivation on my end, so hopefully I will post some re born progress, lol.

Thanks! I was just researching some very similar to them. They seem to be the right size, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them to see if the install is worth the work. I wish that I would have designed doors rather than simply cutting them out of the body so I could have planned for an overlap and latches. It's just so much work for such a small, simple car. I'm likely being too picky!
I put mini Bear Claw latches in the suicide doors of my Model A (Sedan Delivery), they work but you have a big pin sticking out somewhere that the latch grabs. That might not be the best idea in your situation. I have CCR door latches in my T-buckets and the back door of my Sedan Delivery, they are very easy to install, do not have a "pin" and work well.

I put mini Bear Claw latches in the suicide doors of my Model A (Sedan Delivery), they work but you have a big pin sticking out somewhere that the latch grabs. That might not be the best idea in your situation. I have CCR door latches in my T-buckets and the back door of my Sedan Delivery, they are very easy to install, do not have a "pin" and work well.
Thanks, I'll look into them. The pin is one of the reasons that I didn't initially go with bear claw type. I am also considering going with traditional t latches. The generic ones I ordered will work, but I don't like them protruding on the inside. I'm going to finish cutting and hanging the doors and go from there after I see how well they function.

Go to "lang's old car parts" #5681B & 5680 AX...These are listed as 17-25 T door latch & striker , they mortise into the door frame & door jamb , they're what I used & have worked well for 15+ years [I got mine at a swap meet for $10 !]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back