Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dot 5 vs. everything else

Johnny

Okay, I've got my brake lines run and getting ready to bleed brakes. I've been reading on a bunch of different forums and see that a lot of folks say NO WAY to DOT 5. Say it holds too much moisture. I used it in my Harley and it seemed to work just fine. I also thought it was good because it wouldn't eat paint.

I'm so confused!!!!! What are you fellas using?

Dot 5 is NOT as subject to moisture as Dot 3. I have Dot 5 (silicone) in both of my street rods. I wouldn't use anything else!

Jim

Well, DOT 5 it is! Like I said, I used it in my Harley and never had an issue. It seems there are as many opinions about brake fluid as there is about what oil a person should use in their engine.

Thanks, guys.

The only problem with DOT 5 fluid is air. It's nearly impossible to get all the air bubbles out of DOT 5 fluid. so be careful when pouring it into a new system, to keep introduced air bubbles to an absolute minimum. Jostling a sealed bottle of DOT 5 fluid introduces air bubbles into the fluid during shipping. A big bubble will seem to go away, but it's actually breaking down into smaller and smaller bubbles. But I promise you, those tiny bubbles will find their way back to one another after a bit of time. And while DOT 5 won't absorb water like DOT 3 fluid, this is actually not a benefit. If moisture is introduced into a DOT 5 system (ever check your brake fluid on a rainy day?), the moisture will drop to the lowest point in the system and pool there. If that happens to be a caliper, then the water will boil at a much lower temperature than the fluid. This can lead to complete brake failure, because steam will pressurize the system. Suddenly, your high-boiling point DOT 5 system is air-locked at a much lower temperature than a DOT 3 system. Additionally, a DOT 5 system that gives a rock-hard pedal at sea level will give you a spongy pedal at high altitude.

DOT 5 is really nice, because it isn't a paint-killer. But when it comes right down to it, how many of you have ever destroyed paint by dumping brake fluid on it? I've never had it happen, myself. I was always taught to pour the fluid into the master cylinder reservoir, not on painted surfaces.

DOT 5 is also really nice, because... Well, there has to be another reason, doesn't there?

Oh, yeah, DOT 5 is really nice, because you get to run fresh fluid in your car all the time, because you will need to flush the brake system on a regular basis to get rid of pooled moisture in the system. You are flushing your DOT 5 systems each year, aren't you? DOT 5 fluids seemed to be a natural for race cars (although most racers avoid the stuff like the plague), but remember that most race cars are constantly undergoing maintenance your street car will never see. Just because something works well on a race car doesn't necessarily mean you want to use it on your street-driver.

If you're concerned about moisture lowering the boiling point of your brake fluid, start out with Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorption). But be sure you are buying it from a suppler that rolls their inventory over very rapidly, because LMA comes in a plastic bottle. And yes, Aunt Matilda, water will manage to get through that plastic bottle. If you're just looking for a reliable brake fluid, buy a metal can of DOT 3 fluid (at a mere fraction of DOT 5 fluid's cost) and be careful you don't pour it on your nice paint. While your buddies are flushing their DOT 5 systems each year, you can be out, enjoying another day of cruising. You'll also have the added benefit of being able to get brake fluid anywhere, should you need to do some roadside brake repairs.

I think that most guys are worried about their nice painted backing plates or other suspension parts, when they are bleeding their systems (without using a bleeder hose to collect all the fluid and to be able to see air bubbles going out of the system) But remember this, dot 3 takes only soap and water to clean it up... very handy... :)

I weighed all the DOT 5 and DOT 3 options from all the threads here and at the parts store I compared prices between the two. Using DOT 3 fluid on sale at $1.99 for 12 oz it cost me about $2.50 to fill my brake system. That includes the 2oz lost because I forgot to completely tighten up the fittings on the rear axle when I started. Wiped everything off and lost no paint at all. I'm a happy camper.

Like Mike said you need to flush dot5 through system on semi regular basis it seems the more you use it the less you need to {moisture} if you dont it turns to sea monkeys in your master cylinder /brake lines well that what I call it and it also because of moisture gets corrosive to parts. any bike that comes in for brake pads in the shop gets a flush aprox.10,ooo mi. on bike hope this helps anyone. Thanks Pat.

A little tid bit if you use DOT5, while pouring it in to the master cylinder very slowly, pour it onto a screw driver shaft(screw driver at an angle) and let it run down the shaft into the master cylinder, it will tend not to cause air bubbles that way.

I've been using only Dot 5 for years and years. In fact, when I built my 23 over 20 years ago I used it, back when it was just called Silicone brake fluid. Never had a problem with it and in fact could have reused the 20 year old stuff that was in the system when I redid the car last year, but I changed it out anyway. I've heard the stories about soft pedal, etc but not in my experience.

Don

I have used DOT 5 in my Harley's for at least 15 years with no issues. I do flush the fluid every 2 years though. I used the same in my car and have a rock hard pedal. When I bleed the system, I use a hose set up back to an empty bottle.

I have used DOT 5 in my Harley's for at least 15 years with no issues. I do flush the fluid every 2 years though. I used the same in my car and have a rock hard pedal. When I bleed the system, I use a hose set up back to an empty bottle.
I do the same thing but run it through a filtered paint funnel.

A general brake fluid question...I've always heard brake fluid will attract moisture but I'm wondering how/why if the brake system is a closed/sealed system?

Nothing is "sealed", moisture always finds a way in, condensation, when you initially fill the system, when the cylinders retract, all avenues for moisture. As to getting it on painted surfaces, I don't care who you are or how careful you think you are, sooner or later,it'll get ya' sh!t happens! dave

I thought of this thread the other night when my Son and I were refilling the master cylinder on his rpu. When we pulled the body off to remove the motor and transmission he had to disconnect the brake lines, his mc is one of those Kugel Komponents sideways ones under the dash. Anyway, as we were refilling it with a funnel a drop splashed onto the paint on his cowl. Since it was Dot 5 it wiped right off, if it had been regular fluid it would have ruined the paint job.

As 2old2 fast said, no matter how careful you think you are, sooner or later....................................:oops:

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back