Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Enclosed Cargo Trailer

gfigms

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Just purchased a new 20 foot enclosed v-nose trailer ... dual axle from Freedom Trailers in GA. Nice trailer and I am generally pleased with the unit. However, after hauling it back home, over 1000 miles, and putting it in the storage lot that I rented, I notice that none of the 4 wheels on the axles and the spare are not balanced. This seemed strange to me, so I checked every other trailer unit in the storage lot and NONE of them had wheels that were balanced. I checked with two national tire stores near me and they said it wasn't necessary because no one rides back there and wouldn't notice. I checked with a couple of friends that have those big 5th wheel RV things and they both said they didn't balance theirs either.

Would seem to me, any out of balance, no matter how small, would shorten tire life and put undue stress on the axle bearings. Am I being overly cautious?

I can understand your concern and agree with you. Having your tires balanced can do nothing but help with tire life and reduced wear on the trailer suspension. I would like to hear any argument against balancing, other than saving of the time and initial cost.

Have never balanced trailer tires on anything, including big rigs. Have never noticed tire wear as a problem due to balance or unusual suspension problems. The smaller the trailer the more pronounced the bounce when empty when tires are not balanced or out of round/flat spots.
Don't worry about them except to pull bearing maintenance once or twice a year depending on milage. Lots of grease.
Your trailer will normally be loaded and will be just fine.

Milt,
I have pulled many trailers in the last 50 or so years and I don't recall any of the tires being balanced. I don't know that you can tell the tire wear or axle problems from unbalanced tires. I think your going to have much more problems from the miles. The main thing you want to do is keep them aired up to keep them from Flexing on the sidewalls. 75 % of the tires I have lost on a trailer were from not enough air. I run 55 lbs in my enclosed 24 ft trailer and I have pulled it about 50,000 miles in the last 7 years......Only lost one tire on this trailer and that one threw the tread off of an original tire, put 10 ply trailer tires on it and no more problems...............

Mike

I cant give you an argument AGAINST balancing them but Ive been pulling my 14 ft single axle for several years now without being balanced and its never been a problem. They are ready to be replaced due to the fact that they are just plain worn out, but they show no signs of cupping form being out of balance.
Trailer suspensions are pretty stiff compared to an auto , along with a solid axle...................they would have to be pretty far out of balance for you to notice.

Ditto on the importance of "AIR PRESSURE"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back