Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

engine popping

Francis Blake

I have a real problem that someone might have an idea how to solve. My 4.3v6 pops through the exhaust and if I gas it real quick it is real loud it was backfiring through the carb but it seems I solved that problem, I hope anyway. I thought (maybe thats my problem) it might be sucking air under the intake so I sprayed either around the base of it, no results so I put a vacuum gauge on it and get around 20 inches of vacuum at any steady rpm. I have tried every degree of timing that runs anywhere close to right, and the vacuum advance works. It has an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb and Edelbrock intake. The firing order is right,I've checked that many times. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Which port is your vac canister attached to?

Russ

Pull your distributor cap, clean it out really good and put it back on....could be carbon arcing inside the dist. cap, if no vac. leak, if the firing order is correct, and the carb is not flooding....it has either jumped time or you have a valve not closing when it should. (Broken valvespring, guide trying to gaul, trash between valve seat and valve, broken valve).
Did this happen all of a sudden?
To doublecheck things, Pull #1 Plug, get her TDC on compression stroke, then look at the harmonic balance. Pull the valvecover, both valves should be on their base circle and closed. Pointer on timing should line up....and your distr. button pointing toward #1 Tower....

Also check and make sure all your vacuum caps and lines are plugged and your vacuum advance is hooked up....

I'm with 2Old2Fast, but its kinda late in the game for us to become 'unconfused'.....Hahaha!

If the timing and all lines up, and your distr. is way off, yank your distr, your timing gear might be at fault. I've seen alot of this....

Well, we're about to bust off a Altered....gotta go, will check back later....

Going by memory here and its been a long long time, but aren't there several different firing orders for a v-6. Do you have the right firing order? Something else I have seen, is a guy rebuilt a dist and put a v-8 pick up coil in a v-6 dist, it ran pretty good. Good enough to drive. When we put it on the scope it sure looked weird, and thats how we found that.

There are several v6 motors, this is a 4.3 and has an hei dist on it. The strange thing about all this is it ran good after I installed the after market parts for two years and started this suddenly. I pulled the valve covers off to check the valve springs and they all look good,timing marks all line up. I will have a friend that runs a hot rod shop check this out soon if I can't find the cause. Then it gets taken apart.

Oh, I thought you had just installed a new distributor.

If you can check the bushings on the distrib, take off the cap and see if there is side-side play in the shaft, I know some 4.3's are bad for either the bushings or gears going bad. When I rebuilt my 4.3 for my truck the distrib gear was toast.

Keeper that was one of the first things I checked. I even tried another carb on it same thing. And I did clean the dist cap while I was there but it was clean.

On carb engines when there is no load and you "GAS" it real fast, the engine rpm picks up faster than the carb can respond so it quickly gets very lean and will backfire through the carb. Back in the 60's when we tuned the 400 Pontiac and 390 Ford engines in our cars we could make it do this so ya learned to ease the gas in or just not to do that at all. Just something one learns through experience. I can make my current Ford 302 do that.

OK, I'm back...we almost burnt the shop down having some Friday fun, but all is well. OK, this happened all of a sudden, and it being a V-6, it usually is the timing chain tensioner, a timing gear, something in the valvetrain hanging, jumped time.
Recently, I pulled the front off a really high dollar motor, it'd jumped time. The cause? A big ole dirt dobber harem right before the timing pulley and the timing belt. The little fella felt kinda embarrassed, I told him to never, ever under estimate motors! All I had to do is retime everything all was right in the world.

For a motor to run good, you have to have a good hot spark, at the right time, good compression, the valves being in sequence with the pistons, and you gotta have fuel. Not too much, not just a little, BUT the right amount. If any of these things get outta sync, all hell is gonna bust loose!
Its starting up and running, which is a good thing. Chances are its nothing major! Its just not running good.
I know what the last two are talking about, a lean pop, is a sputter, the backfire after hitting it hard, we call that rapping back. But, I believe you know what we're talking about and you know your ride. Its way off whatever it is.
Weak firing can cause a miss, hard starting, usually not backfiring. A full electronic system can cause that, but in your case, your rotor button on thru your cam makes things sync'ed. Thats why I was saying jumped time. Did you change your rotor button lately?

I believe its something simple, or it would not start. Tell us exactly what happened....maybe that'll give us some clues....

Poping thru the intake is the plug firing while the intake valve is open. A lean condition can cause this. Backfiring thru the exhaust is either raw fuel being ignited, once the exhaust cycle starts, in the exhaust, or, a plug firing with raw fuel, and the exhaust valve not closed.
Has the motor made any noise up in the front timing cover? Does your motor have an electronic timing advance built in? have you switched any wires on your ign. system?
If its nothing obvious, gotta start looking for things like sheared roll pins in your distributor drive gear, bad tooth on your timing set, your star wheel in your distr. got outta sync. vacuum advance plate is loose and is moving....distr. bushings shot or too tight, but you said you already checked....

I have gone through every thing talked about, so I pulled off the intake last night and it looks very suspect. It had some rusty stains under one end. I don't know how that got there, I keep it out of the rain and always use antifreeze, never plain water. As soon as the auto parts open I will get a new set of gaskets and get it back together. Will post the results as soon as its done.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Before we jump off the rails fretting about things like timing chain tensioners, and taking the motor apart, let's use our heads a bit.

Have you checked the header bolts, to be sure everything is tight and there are no leaks at the flange?

Howzabout lifter preload on the exhaust side? Could you be a little tight? No sense taking anything apart until you try loosening up the exhaust adjusters a quarter-turn, to see what happens. That can easily be causing the popping in the exhaust. Do you own, or have access to a leakdown tester? If so, bring the motor up to operating temperature and start leaking it. If not, regulate an air line down to 100 PSI and use an air hold fitting in the plug hole. Bring a piston up to TDC, screw in the fitting and add the air. Do you hear air escaping into the exhaust?

What color is the exhaust? Black? Gray? Dark-gray or very light? It is actually pretty easy to get so far off on fuel mixture that an extremely lean motor will start acting like it is rich. Same with an extremely rich motor wanting to act lean. If it is too lean, then there is not enough fuel to support combustion. If it gets too rich, you'll wash out combustion. Either way, you can still end up with unburnt fuel collecting and burning in the exhaust. A motor can be a bit rich and have a loose header, which introduces enough air into the hot exhaust to start burning in the header. Don't get carried away with bright lights, magnifiers and counting hot threads, but pull some plugs and see what they look like. Let's try to get an idea of what the chamber environment is like and then we can move on from there.

I'm guessing this is an even-fire motor? Un-common rod pin crank? If it's a common pin crank, be sure you are running the correct distributor and cap. The 90°/150° combination will actually try to run on a 120° ignition, but not well. Most V-6 caps are flaky, with long leads in the cap, so they can work with either combination. Try pumping up the secondary side of the ignition and you're inviting problems in the door. We modified distributor bases to accept a Volvo cap, which had the correct 90°/150° spacing. (SM, do you remember the V-6 cam trigger ignition Mallory used to catalog? That was actually our stuff.)

Francis, it sounds as if you're experiencing a lean backfire. Is it doing this with the engine warmed up, or are you trying to rev a cold motor? This one could be as simple as the motor needing some more choke. Until we get some more evidence presented, it sounds like you have two distinctly different issues.

Call me lazy, cheap, or whatever, but I always like to try the really simple things first. You know, the stuff that requires minimal effort and zero dollars? :barefoot:

Of course, you can always pull off the radiator cap and drive a new car underneath it, but I would get some tools out before I got quite that carried away. :D

EDIT - We posted atop one another. Never mind my suggestions.

Hey Francis, hows things going? Got Mike on the Jazz,
-(SM, do you remember the V-6 cam trigger ignition Mallory used to catalog? That was actually our stuff.)- Cool! :thumbsup:
Let us know what you've found....if after you've replaced this gaskets, its still doing that, try backing off your exhaust adjusters about a turn and see if that help, like Mike said. Since you got the tools out and the valve covers just went on....
Gotta go cut the grass....( 10 acres ) , will check in when finished....:confused:

Checkin' in....did ya find anything? I'll check back in a couple of hours....thought you might have found something. If no success yet, flop your timing light on it and make sure its where you set it the last time....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back