Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fan belt angle

INVU2

Hello everyone,

I purchased a low alternator bracket set-up for my BBC. When I went to put it all together the alternator would hit the frame with no adjustment. I made a template and had a friend cut another bracket for me. Now that I have it all back together I'm not sure if the crank pulley is going to have enough bite for the fan belt.

What do you think?

Attachments

• P1010059.JPG
    P1010059.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 93
Hello everyone,

I purchased a low alternator bracket set-up for my BBC. When I went to put it all together the alternator would hit the frame with no adjustment. I made a template and had a friend cut another bracket for me. Now that I have it all back together I'm not sure if the crank pulley is going to have enough bite for the fan belt.

What do you think?

I'm guessing that belt will squeel. If you get the belt tight enough to not squeel the Alt and WP bearings will be short lived. I always shoot for contact on 1/2 the pulley at a bare minimum. On a Fiero that I swaped a 4.3 into, I set up a double v belt setup with only about a 1/3 wrap on the crank pulley. that worked out very well also, and it looks like you have the double crank pulley already, so you might look at juggling that idea around if it looks like an easier solution.
89734733.jpg

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I have a single on the water pump and a double that I just put on the crank. If I get a double on the alternator and run another belt just to the crank that should do it. I really didn't want to start over and the bracket I just got back was so nice.

It's 10 degrees outside, snow on the ground, and the metal parts get very cold quickly. It was uncomfortable the other day sitting on spring plate in poor lighting trying to finish up the alt. pattern needed. Just that much closer on my project.

I get so many good ideas from everyone on this site!!!

P.S. I'm still looking for a 39 wide windshield.

-E

Thanks Russ,

I have a single on the water pump and a double that I just put on the crank. If I get a double on the alternator and run another belt just to the crank that should do it. I really didn't want to start over and the bracket I just got back was so nice.

It's 10 degrees outside, snow on the ground, and the metal parts get very cold quickly. It was uncomfortable the other day sitting on spring plate in poor lighting trying to finish up the alt. pattern needed. Just that much closer on my project.

I get so many good ideas from everyone on this site!!!

P.S. I'm still looking for a 39 wide windshield.

-E

where are you located?

Russ

P1010057_1.JPG In a small drinking town in Montana with a fishing problem.

I wish I had a real garage, one with a solid floor and a door, maybe some heat would be nice.

The "T" doesn't have a heater so why should the garage.

This is a Hot Rodding...
...and simple living is Living.

where are you located?

Russ

[attachment=5155:p1010057_1.JPG] In a small drinking town in Montana with a fishing problem.

I wish I had a real garage, one with a solid floor and a door, maybe some heat would be nice.

The "T" doesn't have a heater so why should the garage.

This is a Hot Rodding...
...and simple living is Living.

The reason I asked is because I believe I have a 39" windshield. an original early T 2 piece frame with the hinges. curved top and square bottom. it had safety glass in it when I got it, but I gave one piece away. I think it was the top piece. anyway... if you want it I'd sell for 40 + freight. which might not be too bad to montana without the glass. I'll pm you some pictures in the next day or so if thats what you 're looking for.
My shop is about the same size as yours, BTW, but I do have a barrel stove in it and a door. :rolleyes:

Hello Russ,

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, I am interested, e-mail me some photo's.

Thanks
-E

Hello everyone,

What do you think?
What kind of "pie" are you eating out there? Scooter or Eskimo? I'd at least tack up a blue tarp "door" from Home Depot.

As Mike said....the adjusting slot should be on the alt. You want you belt to wrap at least 90 degrees of the pulley, if your gonna pull a load such as a alt. If adjusted, if you can grab the fan and turn it, its too loose. If you get it too tight, you'll burn up your bearings....

The original bracket is a Alan Grove 208L-Alt. http://www.alangrove..._Short_Pump.htm

If you turn the bracket over it really does not work. The alt. body fits in the pocket just under the head. With the frame running in that same area you run out of room real quick.

The bracket I had made needed to pick-up the original bolt holes and rotate the whole unit and drop down just a little. It now is good on clearance and lots of adjustment. The pan & cross-member is still the lowest points. The new hole the lowest one on the bracket I used a washer and nut to the mounting hardware. The top bolt is just to stabilize the bracket giving two mounting points to the block like the original bracket.

I Think Russ's idea of a double belt (crank / Alt.) is the best idea.

-Darn wind took my last tarp.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back