Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fan Shroud

I think it depends on your setup, Bob. I run a relatively stock Chevy 350 with a TH350/1900 stall convertor, and I do fine without one. If you're running a 383 or a blower and a high stall convertor, you'll probably need a fan shroud to maximize the cooling potential of your radiator. Fabrication shouldn't be too tough using sheet metal & pop rivets or spot welds. Here's one example: how make a fan shroud for your hot rod - Bing video

The only time the fan really works is in traffic or setting still. There is plenty of air moving when driving. Are you using an electric or mechanical fan? If it's electric and fastens to the radiator, no, of it's the right size and CFM. If it's a mechanical fan and you have an aggressive fan that is close to the rediator, maybe not, but a shroud is a good thing for several reasons, better cooling, safety, looks, etc...

My T-Bucket has a 350 with a copper/brass radiator. There is no shroud and most of the time it seems fine. I have seen the temp rise a few times (maybe 20 degrees) and I wonder if there is too much clearance between the fan blades (mounted on water pump) and the radiator. Is there a maximum and minimum clearance requirement?
Roger

I think without a shroud the distance from the radiator core to the fan blades should be about 3/4", and you don't want to go more than about 3" on a fan spacer to get there.

I have a 1 1/2" spacer and it sets 2 3/4" from the radiator and I'm running a stock 15" six blade fan. I have no shroud and even in the high temps of Florida, I've never had an overheating problem even the insane traffic in the Orlando area.

Jim

With the 454 mine has it used to get hot in slow traffic...even with the fan turned on.
On the highway it was fine.
I changed the fan to one with a 2" larger diameter and made a steel shroud for it. Now she stays at 195ish parked or in slow traffic.
I think the shroud was the biggest help, but of course the slightly larger fan didn't hurt.

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to hijack the thread but it seemed like a good place to ask. My fan has 5 blades and I think it's undersized. I may need bigger fan and maybe a shroud. Thanks again.
Roger

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back