Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fiberglass work

Okay folks,,, this has probably been asked a 100 times but instead of spending hours combing thru the posts I'll start fresh. Starting to install the floor and need some fiberglass questions answered please. I've started with pad you can buy at the local parts store, Bondo is the manufacture.

1. What ounce weight glass should be used? The parts store product doesn't tell you this.
2. Mat or cloth? I've started with cloth,,,
3. Does it take more than one layer to be strong enough on the floor edges or should I lay extra?
I've glassed both top and bottom so far.
4. How long is normal for the resin to setup and/or cure? Is that two questions???

Start w/ a little bondo [filler] to form a "fillet" so you don't have sharp corners to turn [I just use my finger] after that sets use matte [at least 2 layers depending on the weight] resin cures pretty quick in hot weather but it's also dependent on how you mix it . I'm really anal about mixing accuracy so consult the manufacture's reccomendation & follow it ! Cloth is for finish work IMO & not really needed for what you're doing.
dave

If you use those wet cleaning cloths to smooth out and form the bondo it works awesome. (and keeps your fingers clean too) And you need 2 layers to mate the floor to body on both sides at least. The drying depends on your climate area. But mine was a few hours and i could touch it with no sticky at all.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back