Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fitting windshield post to body

rubicon

I have a CCR body and windshield frame with posts. I've screwed the post to the frame and now I'm ready to try and fit it to the body. The holes are already drilled into the body so I must grind off some of the body to get everything to line up. The body is a little wider than the windshield & post set up. I believe this is correct so far. Once I have everything lined up I then fill in the gap between the post and the body with Bondo and blend into the rest of the body. If what I have is correct, then what do I cover the inside of the post with to keep the Bondo from sticking and the post a permanent part of the body?

You can use DUCT Tape, the metal kind used for HVAC installations. You can buy it at Menards Home Depot and Lowes. The bondo and resin from fiberglass will not stick to it. but as a precaution I would also use a wax on it.

Masking tape works also. Sticky side away from the bondo.

Make sure you sand the post areas down first so the filler grabs well. You can do one side at a time to make it easier, you should only have a small gap on the driver rear hole. The passenger side should be real close already with our posts. Make sure you leave a small gap between the windshield frame and the dash for the rubber we supplied as a seal. the tape will work fine on the inside of the posts and maybe put some wax on that to make it release easier.

I had some scrap rolled rubber roofing that I used to line the backside of the posts with. That way minor vibration and movement will hopefully minimize the damage/ wear on the body.

I had some scrap rolled rubber roofing that I used to line the backside of the posts with. That way minor vibration and movement will hopefully minimize the damage/ wear on the body.
I was reading speedways comment on their windshield and they recommend using an inner tube to make a gasket, lol. Nothing wrong with it, I just found it humorous. Use what you got! I figured they had a product to offer....

Yup, inner tube is about the same thickness as rolled rubber roofing.....I actually used it in several places, behind my firewall cover which is a plexiglass mirror and I also covered the bottom of the bucket in mirror which I also used the rubber to lay down first......although, not sure covering the bottom with a mirror was such a wise idea, looks good when it is clean though!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back