Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Flake or no flake this is the question

rooster57

These are hard as hell to take pics of so here is a test panel the painter shot take into consideration edges are seen and after color sanding there will be no edge. In the sun today the pearl flake really pops (bottom Pic) and the blue no flake looks good but it just kinda lays there (Top pic). Give me some opinions please. The body is color sanded to apply the flames then CC again 8 times.

go with the blue pearl and have him toss in a little red pearl too. That will really pop in the sun.

I think the pearl flakes will get a second glance, I have a buddy just painted his bucket with pearl flakes. When the sun hits it, it catches your eye. I think your colors with the pearl will be nice and purdy! just my opinion from his freshly painted body:eek:... that didnt sound good did it?!

I like the flakes.

I think i am on board with the flakes to i want it to standout in the sun and disappear in the shade and it does just that.

Well I had a problem with a great color, that looked fantastic on the Cad that it came on, in the Sun it was wild looking, and the Gold flakes knocked your socks off, but, that was on the Cad, and it had a large hood and deck which reflected the Sun, not so on a T bucket, as there you only have that small cowl section that will reflect the Sun, all the sides are in the shade, so to speak, and the color looked like $h!T that way, so I ended up with solid colors, as they looked great from any angle, and did not depend on Sun light to make them look good, like Candy and Pearl and Metal flakes, fine to late cars with reflective surfaces, just not for Ts... I wish it would have been different, as I loved that color... but hated it on my body... So, You do what looks best to your eye, as it is YOUR ride, and YOU have to look at it the most...

There is no right answer to the question only you know what you like. If we tried to please everybody we probably wouldn't be building or driving T-Buckets.

rooster,
my 2 cents worth, i'm a metalflake guy, when i painted my bucket i mixed in a little extra silver in the color mix and then laid a mix of 3 coats of house of color ultra fine flakes into the clearcoat and when the sun hits it it really pops. you have to do what's in your minds eye, you gotta like it
jim

I spoke to the painter today and i am going with the pearl blue and have him add some silver,blue and gold mini flake to it. The base of the bottom pic was to dark for me . So 10 days and i am gona be mounting the body .

If hes not using an 'intercoat' youre going to have to sand it twice after the flake...youre piling the flake in there too...shouldnt be a problem for a pro painter, you'll want to board it flat after and then apply some plain clearcoat, wetsand with 800, 1000,1500,2000 then buff with Presta

Well, I guess you could start with 1000 and go up.
Congrats bro!!

PS igf you guys want some good pearls (easier to paint than flake in my opinion) try Custom Paint | Pearl Paint | Candy Paint | Metal Flake | Faux Finish | Temperature Change|Paint for your Hot Rod, Chopper, Home, or Business!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back