Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Floor question

Telman2

I've got a T bucket I built back in 68, it's now 40 years old and been through 3 engines and 3 or 4 transmissions. I decided to rewire it this winter, I removed the dash and entire interior and got to looking at it. The original floor (3/4" plywood) that I glassed in way too many years ago is full of holes from the various changes I've made to it and it's getting springy (it gives a bit when you step on it, more from the lack of wood between holes then anything else. Today while trying to straighten out my non heated garage in preperation for the on coming winter I came across two sheets of 2'x4' 16 ga. steel. I'm thinking that I could cut the access holes I need for my master cylinder, battery etc in the steel plate and use the plate to reinforce the existing plywood floor. Do you think bolting the plate to the original wood floor would be enough. I thought about glassing it in but soon realized that the original floor had absorbed enough oil to preserve it for the next century.

I guess that would work, but I think you would be better off to do it right the first time by cutting out all the old floor and simply putting a new piece of something like 5/8 thick plywood in and glassing it in place. Admittedly, it won't be the cleanest job in the world, grinding fiberglass never is, but you could cut the old floor out close to where it meets the body, and then grind it smooth.

One thing about fiberglass is that it is a pretty forgiving medium, and easy to work with. I really feel you would be better off to do it the correct way rather than putting a bandaid on the problem.

Don

i would agree with Don. if you're going to do something here, you might as well go all the way. the problem i have with something like this is where to stop. you might consider leaving a lip from the old floor and glassing to that. maybe the less you disturb, the less you will have to rebuild. it's hard to suggest what to do without seeing it first hand.

Ron

Not to mention that moisture (from humidity) could get in between the steel and plywood and accelerate rotting.

Removing the body and glassing in a new floor isn't an option for me. I don't have a heated garage or the space required to do the job and to be honest at 65 I just don't have the strength or energy it would require.

Telman2 said:
Removing the body and glassing in a new floor isn't an option for me...

Well then ya go with what you suggested... some reinforcement is better than nothing!

Plug the holes that are no longer used... make the new floor from your steel, then use a strong adhesive and bolt into place... could even lay a couple layers of glass on top of that... Not as clean as installing a new floor but better than no corrective action at all... post some pics of the progress!

Come on Bud, '65 is just a pup! :) I'm 63 but I live in Florida, and they consider me a Juvenile Delinquent down here. :):lol: They don't call this God's Waiting Room for nuthin! :eek:

Don

LumenAl said:
Well then ya go with what you suggested... some reinforcement is better than nothing!

Plug the holes that are no longer used... make the new floor from your steel, then use a strong adhesive and bolt into place... could even lay a couple layers of glass on top of that... Not as clean as installing a new floor but better than no corrective action at all... post some pics of the progress!

donsrods said:
Come on Bud, '65 is just a pup! :) I'm 63 but I live in Florida, and they consider me a Juvenile Delinquent down here. :lol::lol: They don't call this God's Waiting Room for nuthin! :eek:

Don

Thanks guys, I apologize for not expressing my appreciation for your input earlier. The floor is strong, I've bounced my 200 lbs on it without any problems but I worry about it's springiness like I it did with the seat belt issue and taking my grandsons for rides.

Don, 65 may be a pup in Flordia where the temp never goes below 60 but up here in Northern Illinois when the temp goes negative (like -0) you feel everyone of those years, LOL.

ifthe floor is sound but springy, i would look at adding some plates at the body mount locations and patch the rest the best i could.

Ron

What about using Aluminum Diamond plate as a new floor? Just glass it in along the seems around the floor for both the inside and outside. Or glass the entire exterior bottom. Comments on this proceedure?

I have the same problem with my Bucket and thinking about using this proceedure as a fix vs buying a whole new cab.

Youngster said:
ifthe floor is sound but springy, i would look at adding some plates at the body mount locations and patch the rest the best i could.

Ron

Just gave me an idea Ron. Make a new floor with Aluminum from floor to bend of fire wall that bolts up to the body mounts. Strong and still lite weight.

After you put the aluminum on the top, spray the underside with Duplicacolor pickup bed liner spray. It's waterproof and paintable.

old round fart said:
After you put the aluminum on the top, spray the underside with Duplicacolor pickup bed liner spray. It's waterproof and paintable.

Thanks for the tip!:faint:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back