Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Foam for glass bodies.

Neal

Hey Guys.I read a post on here I thought but maybe I am wrong.I have'nt been able to find it.I am looking for the foam that you can glass over without the resin melting it.Any help would be great thanks...

Oasis floral foam is what you are looking for Here is a pic and a link to the subject on it.Interior foam

interior3.jpg

That was sign foam (HDU) get it at sign supply co.
come 1/2" to 6" in a 4X8 sheet.
small amounts might be had at larger sign shops...

Hey Guys.I read a post on here I thought but maybe I am wrong.I have'nt been able to find it.I am looking for the foam that you can glass over without the resin melting it.Any help would be great thanks...

I've used quite a bit of foam purchased at Lowe's that is intended for house insulation. It is a urethane foam, 3/4" thick and covered with a foil face. It's cheap, sturdy, and easy to use. Just peel the foil off of it so the fiberglass resin will bond to it. It cuts to shape as easy as cutting butter with a razor knife. You can even sand it to shape. Just make sure you don't confuse this with the Pink or Blue extruded polystyrene foam. It is a urethane foam that will not melt when contacting polyester resin. It's also slightly more flexible than the more rigid foams like ISO baoard or some of the pvc foams. Other home improvement stores may also have similar products and I have also seen this type of foam with a mesh face rather than foil. It works just as good. Good luck in your project.

Thanks Dennis.I actually ordered a case of that Oasis foam from the suppier mentions on here.It looks like it will work out great.Thanks again.
Neal

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back