Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford C4 trans questions

TbucketMike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Ok I have experience with the GM TH350's and 400's but don't know alot about Ford automatics. I'm going to be putting a Ford C4 into my 27T and have a few questions. I will be bolting the trans up to a 302 or 351 windsor block so do I need the large or small bellhousing? Would I go with a 157 tooth flexplate and 10.5 in converter? Isn't there a plate that goes between the bellhousing and engine? Do I want a forward shift pattern or a Reverse shift pattern? What was stock?

From what I've read I'm looking for a case fill C4 because they came out of the cars and the pan fill C4's came out of trucks. Does this sound correct? Anything else I should be looking for? Where is the best place to buy a rebuilt or new C4?

Was thinking of picking up this TCI C4 from Summit Racing (see link below). Any thoughts on this trans?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-511238/

You can use either a big or small bellhousing but you need the correct corresponding torque converter, flex plate and block plate. The later models are the large bellhousing and are therefore much more plentiful and parts are easier to come buy.

The plate between the motor and transmission is the block plate. Yes you need it because it because it does two things: A-it holds the starter in the correct location. B-it gives the correct spacing for starter engagement.

Never heard the deal about the pan fills so I don't know. I have one in my 56 though.

They are a standard forward shift. Reverse shift pattern is for drag racing and not needed (unless you think it is cool). I would think you would need a special shifter to match the valve body.

I have never bought one before I always rebuilt mine.

IMO, try to get a case fill over a pan fill. The pan fill stuff is a bit harder to find--I have one on my 27 only because it was a free tranny. Aftermarket pans are harder to find and the Lokar fill tube still leaks a dribble or two a month (it also cost a few $ more).

I am much more framilar with the GM transmissions.

So a dumb question...What is the Ford transmission equivelent of a GM 700R4 (Over-drive without a computer)?

Thanks,

Mark

That would be the Ford AOD (Automomatic Overdrive) which the overdrive is controlled by cable. These were built in the 80's to early 90's. There are also the AODE (electronically controlled) and the 4R70W which is a later version of the AODE.

thanks guys for the reply's!! I'm looking for a C4 local but haven't found one yet. Anybody buy the TCI C4 I posted a link to? Just wondering if it's any good. At $798 it seems like a good buy considering it's new. Still have to buy a bellhousing though.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back