Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford Motor and Trans questions

Ok guys I am looking for some help here. I am in the infancy of my build. I want to build my bucket with all Ford stuff. I will either be using a 302, or 347. As for a trans, my thinking is an auto will be easier to fab around, less linkage, pedals, etc. I am not looking for huge power, don't plan to race the thing, I just want a nice stout and reliable motor. I am also planning on using an 8.8, probably from an exploder and shorten it, with a locker or posi.(Insert advice on ratio,etc) All that being said, what are recommendation on what trans to use? I was thinking an AOD? I am sorry if this has been beat to death before, but I searched on here and didn't find the answers I needed. Thank You in advance for any help you can send my way!

Justin

Can probably get a good 302 HO out of an late 80's mustang full roller cheap.
Hook that up with an exploder 3:73 track loc, and a AOD would be a great combo.
I am not a ford guy, but I do know that those 302's can make as much or as little HP as you want, its all about the $$.

302, AOD, 8.8 posi rear end with 4.11 gears, 31" tires.

The 302 is a far superior engine to the 351, imho. It will live longer, and make all the power you need, especially in a light bucket. They are smaller, lighter, a bit, and rev nicely. Keep the ratio up like RPM said 3:73 or 4:10 and an aod will work well. I have a 3/4 ton truck with a 302 aod and 4:10 gears with 31" tires and it is a happy truck. That stock drive train in a light car would be a fun package. They are easy to find, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. Here's the rub: there are numerous variations of rollorised or flat tapped, various fuel injection and computers, etc. my advise is to decide if you want fuel injection or carburation and then do your home work to match the selection. It can get very expensive fast trying to convert stuff that wasn't engineered to work together.

The 3" stroke of a 302 makes it very responsive. That works well in a light car like a T-bucket. If I ever build another one I'm going to use a 302 with some type of blower. That should just scream in a light car.

The 3" stroke of a 302 makes it very responsive. That works well in a light car like a T-bucket. If I ever build another one I'm going to use a 302 with some type of blower. That should just scream in a light car.
Ive held on to a '66 289 hi po for years for a future project.

Blue print engine as a good 302 crate engine. We have used it before for a turnkey car we built for a customer.
I was looking at this as an option to save some time. The downside is I don't learn to build one myself(with the help of experienced friends that is).

I am glad to see that I am not way out in left field with my game plan. Thanks guys. I am going to do some calculations again, but I think I will need taller tires if I go 3.73 gears if I want to be able to run down the highway.

Justin

I was looking at this as an option to save some time. The downside is I don't learn to build one myself(with the help of experienced friends that is).

I am glad to see that I am not way out in left field with my game plan. Thanks guys. I am going to do some calculations again, but I think I will need taller tires if I go 3.73 gears if I want to be able to run down the highway.

Justin
ford aod trans will gear it to cruise -----low gears nullified by over drive

Gear Ratio Calculator | Weddle Industries | Extreme Duty | Racing Transxles, Gears, Gearboxes, Clutches

Well, been away awhile. Moving....
Justin, don't limit yourself to just a smallblock. Look around, you might see something else you like!
Check out the old FE's, the 390 is a great motor! The 460, they are pratically giving those away because of their gas mileage, but that can be cured with a Holley or Accel EFI!
A 460, with a C6 and pull agianst some tall gears, some 3.43s or some 3.23s, just a touch of converter in it, and you'd wax the streets with 90% of the cars out there.
Put it like this, the performance of that 302 will be offset by the lower rpm of that 460, hell, a 390 would do it. Cheap, plenty of parts, you could drive it coast to coast, no problem.
Probably never see the highside of 4500 rpm, too, just funning around....
Just something to think about! And a classic muscle car motor to boot!
I have a 460 based motor in mine, 2x4's, EFI throttle bodies and as long as I'm cruising, I'll get about 16 to 20 mpg. Yea, I step on her she goes down to about 6 gallons to the mile (what do you expect from 540 cu.in.????), but hey, I don't do it that often.
That 302 winding out, you putting out more torque with that 460 at 3200....
And with a AOD behind it, your pratically idling going down the interstate....

Last edited:
302 is a good motor. AOD trans or c4. If going with the C4 go with 3.55 or 3.08 gears

I am running a stock Mustang roller 302 with a C-4. It started out with 2,70 something rear gears. The rear tires are TALL, probably in the mid 30"s. I think it would run about 90 mph in 1st gear, just bar room talk, I never tried. I swapped to 3.73 gears and the T is much more fun to drive. I normally run about 50 mph max, and it is still loafing along. If your tires are more than 28" tall, I would go 3.73 with a C-4 and 4.10s with an AOD. If you need me to get the actual tire height, let me know.

I know that there a ton of motor options out there, but I have my heart set on a 302 or 347. I know more power can be had for a lot less with other motors, but this one is getting a sbf.
I also did some calculating and found the following for a rear gear and trans;
The tires I have on a set of 17" mustang wheels are 275/40/17(25.7" tall)
3.08(Rear Gear) x 25.7(Tire Diameter) x .667(OD gear in AOD)= 1,746rpm at 65mph
or
3.73 x 25.7x .667 = 2,114rmp at 65mph

I am thinking either will be acceptable, thoughts?

Since tires are in this formula, another question. These wheels and tires are 10.8" wide. I think they look nice and was planing on running them on all 4 corners. Is there a reason why guys aren't running wide wheels on the front? Hard Steering, too much for the front suspension, other reasons?

Justin

I run a 28+ diameter rear tire with a 3.08 gear in my 350-powered, TH 350 equipped car, and in a light car such as a T-bucket, it's plenty of gear, and also cruises well. :)

Looks aside , the best reason for a smaller tire on the front is trying to limit the unsprung weight , if the sprung weight of the car is too light to control/overcome the unsprung weight ..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back