Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Axle Assembly

Dan Noecker

Here is a picture of my front axle brackets. This is 1 of 4. The other three are almost to this point. After this I will make the shackle hangers. Lots of sabre saw blades, file time, sandpaper and most important of all, patience.....lots of it.IMG_6237.JPG

Nice job! Don't you wish you had a band saw? Plasma cutter would be nice also, just can't justify one for as little as I do. Keep us posted on progress.
Lee

I feel your pain , I cut out my brackets w/ a sawsall , hole saws , drill bits , side grinder , files , hacksaw etc .....finally broke down & bought a disc/belt machine , sure made life easier !
dave

I do have one of those hand held belt sanders that I clamped to the bench and am able to use it like a standard belt sander. I just hack away on anything that does not look like the bracket I have in my head. I do wish I had a band saw.

Nice job Dan.

.....finally broke down & bought a disc/belt machine , sure made life easier !
dave

Probably my favorite tool. I bite the bullet and run 60 grit 4 X 36 Norton Blue Fire belts. More money, but they last forever. I use the hell out of that thing.

Very good job! Something that's doubly hard to accomplish without the right tools.

Something I'm regularly bummed out about is that over the years prior to my dad's passing, he and I had accumulated quite a home workshop...Multiple band saws, a commercial drill press, lathe, several different grinder setups, gas welding and cutting torch setups, different sizes vises and anvils, riveters, etc....plus the same level of woodshop equipment. Because I was living across the state, and was wrapped up in being a good workaholic, most of the stuff sat unused for 15 or more years. Mom decided she wanted her garage and basement cleared, so she gave almost all of it away to various and sundry relatives and friends. Then to make matters worse, about 10 years ago, after building a new workshop, and starting to requip, it was broken into and emptied...twice. All those years with the right equipment laying around unused...now when I could be making use of it big time, I got nothing. :mad::cry::sick:

I just hope that I can do near as well as you've done without the right tools for the job.

Seeing the work you're putting , I'll prepare you for the inevitable , the day someone says {usually w/a sneer] ...Oh , that's just a kit car.....my favorite comeback is ,,Yep , $99.95 at sears ...Usually shuts them up ..
dave

Wait 'til they ask "how much are PAY-MENTS on a car like that? When they ask how fast it is I tell them "it will do a half hour in 28 minutes

I finished up bracket number 2 this afternoon, and assembeled them with the 4-bar fittings I will be using. I am going with a 4-bar setup in the front with fittings I got from Pete & Jakes. My next task it to fab the shackle hanger. I really like making my own parts. When you go the extra mile and crank out parts you find pleasing, I find that very satisfying. I am very open to any comments someone might have. I try to learn no matter what someone has to say. IMG_6242.JPG IMG_6239.JPG

If there's a sneer accompanying comments like those above, I like the comeback "Once again, proof that small minds run in big circles.". Otherwise, I like any opportunity to educate. Ya never know when you'll make a convert.

Nice job Dan.

Probably my favorite tool. I bite the bullet and run 60 grit 4 X 36 Norton Blue Fire belts. More money, but they last forever. I use the hell out of that thing.
Those belts....I find they last as long as you don't allow a burr or the like to catch the edge, then you end up with a strip of emery to hand sand with, lol... I have several bench belt sanders, 1" through 6". I don't know how I got along without them. I haven't made friends with my plasma cutter yet. I haven't used it enough, other than cutting stuff up, recently ordered all new consumables and guides so I can make some nice parts. Also, I am a creature of habit, and do it like I always did.... Dan, nice job on that bracket!

Seeing the work you're putting , I'll prepare you for the inevitable , the day someone says {usually w/a sneer] ...Oh , that's just a kit car.....my favorite comeback is ,,Yep , $99.95 at sears ...Usually shuts them up ..
dave
You can tell the people who have never built anything, they think everything is so easy, or find fault in things they don't understand. I try to appreciate the work and skill, or attempt, even if I don't like the end result. I understand how hard it is to learn this stuff, especially with limited resources. Even kit cars take skill to build. Reminds me of when people would come in half way through a remodel and add a bunch of hindsight changes....then act like your mugging them when you hand them a revised contract....

I finished up bracket number 2 this afternoon, and assembeled them with the 4-bar fittings I will be using. I am going with a 4-bar setup in the front with fittings I got from Pete & Jakes. My next task it to fab the shackle hanger. I really like making my own parts. When you go the extra mile and crank out parts you find pleasing, I find that very satisfying. I am very open to any comments someone might have. I try to learn no matter what someone has to say. View attachment 11869 View attachment 11870
Nice job Dan. The best way to learn is get your hands dirty. If you enjoy what you are doing, that's exactly the right way to do it! As long as it works for you, it's your project.

dave

I usually just say, "thanks, and what did you drive here, your mom's Honda??"

Those are sweet. Look machined with a mill.

I am very open to any comments someone might have. I try to learn no matter what someone has to say. View attachment 11869 View attachment 11870

When you're ready to weld those on, make sure to add a shim (like .005-.010) for the thickness of the finish later on. Powder coating or paint or whatever. Otherwise bushings are a bugger to get in there.

When I started these brackets, I stacked all four together and used a mill for the axle cutout the three holes for the bolts. Other than that it was all hand tools.

Nice work. One of my best tools is an electric belt sander. I wasn't keen on them but my wife got it as a present so started using it. Like a file but much easier on the arm muscles; practised for while on some scrap. It has 1001 uses and the belts on auction site are cheap. For a $50 tools its majic.
G

Nice work. One of my best tools is an electric belt sander. I wasn't keen on them but my wife got it as a present so started using it. Like a file but much easier on the arm muscles; practised for while on some scrap. It has 1001 uses and the belts on auction site are cheap. For a $50 tools its majic.
G
It's funny how we got along all this time without all the neat tools, then you get them and once you get used to them, it's hard to imagine ever not having them....

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back